Dubai / Burj -- tourist questions | FerrariChat

Dubai / Burj -- tourist questions

Discussion in 'Middle East' started by Pransingh Horse, Mar 25, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Pransingh Horse

Pransingh Horse Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2006
    Vancouver, Canada
    Hey guys,

I was considering doing a trip to Dubai -- and was wondering what sort of a) Motorsports tourism b) regular cool stuff to do and see there ?

Was considering staying @ the Burj -- have heard many great things about it from friends...

Any recommendations would be appreciated

2. zalbahadurji

zalbahadurji Karting

Dec 6, 2006
    Boston/Dubai/Mumbai
    the Burj is too gaudy, too glitzy, and too busy for my taste.. try the Park Hyatt. much quieter, more spaced out, more relaxing. look for the white F430 in the parking lot ;)

you might want to go to the Autodrome and see if they have any openings for a drive on the track.

3. gougoul

gougoul Formula 3

Nov 25, 2004
    Geneva, Switzerland
    Yeah the burj is pathetic. Epitome of bad taste, wonder where they saw 7 stars. In fact just a Hilton with bigger rooms (did I already mention the bad taste ?).
    Many people say the O&O is fine, but since i've never been there...

4. Tarek K.

Tarek K. F1 World Champ

Sep 7, 2006
    Cairo - Egypt
    Full Name:
    Tarek K.
    I would recommend the Jumeirah Beach Hotel...........just opposite the Burj. It's a great 5 star hotel with lots of entertainment and a beautiful beach. It's where I stay.

The Burj is an impressive structure, but I don't think you will like it's interior.

5. js430

js430 Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2005
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Jerry Kahane
    Yup, Jumeirah Beach Hotel is a nice fun place to stay.

Motorsports - Dubai autodrome, and you might be able to find out about car-related events from the Ferrari/exotic car dealer.

6. billyboy360

billyboy360 Rookie

Nov 12, 2005
    Burj Al Arab is a unique hotel. It's a great experiance staying there.
    Jumeriah Beach hotel does not compare in terms of luxury or overall experiance. Jumeriah beach is a more family orientated hotel.
    You can use all the facilities at Jumeriah Beach Hotel while staying at the Burj.

For local motorsport related activities check www.dubaiautodrome.com
    They have track driving experiences and information on local motorsport events.

Lots of stuff to do in the desert from ATV's to 4x4 desert safaris.

7. Hiper

Hiper Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2007
    Home
    If you want a proper "Resort" style holiday, stay at the Dar Al Masyaf in Madinat Jumeirah, or the Royal Mirage. Overall, all the beach side hotels in the Jumeirah area are good.

8. Tarek K.

Tarek K. F1 World Champ

Sep 7, 2006
    Cairo - Egypt
    Full Name:
    Tarek K.
    Dar Al Masyaf is also great..........excellent restaurants.

9. mseals

mseals Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    Personally, I wouldn't go to Dubai at all... I've been there a dozen times, literally, and each time the traffic is worse. I much prefer Bahrain, Oman, or Qatar...

But, if you have to go to Dubai, there are great hotels that are nice to stay in...I agree that the Burj is WAY too over the top...unless you like that sort of thing...

But, just to reiterate... the traffic is the worst...and I've driven in Cairo, Amman, and Baghdad...

Mike in Kuwait

10. zalbahadurji

zalbahadurji Karting

Dec 6, 2006
    Boston/Dubai/Mumbai
    i hardly believe the TRAFFIC should dissuade anyone from going to see a great city like dubai

11. Tarek K.

Tarek K. F1 World Champ

Sep 7, 2006
    Cairo - Egypt
    Full Name:
    Tarek K.
    +1...........and the traffic isn't that bad either. It's mostly downtown in the evening during weekends and rush hours due to the build of the monorail.

12. gougoul

gougoul Formula 3

Nov 25, 2004
    Geneva, Switzerland
    -1 :)

To me it's neither really a city more a pile up of buildings that always look better from the distance, nor is there anything great that I could find.
    Shopping is maybe fun for Kazakhs/Chechens that don't get a Visa to get to Moscow/Europe/Asia or for some Ghana rulers, but otherwise, it wasn't impressed. At all. As for nightlife, any midsize city is better than that (But then again compared to Riyadh or Jeddah it's big big fun, wow some streets even have curves built in !).
    And for the big cars lineup, there's more to see in B. Hills, Hong kong, Geneva, Monaco or for the matter (mushtandroid will enjoy that one...) Moscow, and anyway, who'd travel somewhere just to see cars ? It's beyond my understanding.
    There is no great food either, and the beaches remind more of sandpits full of frying russians...
    Zero culture, zero authenticity, zero appeal. But again, that's only my opinion.

And frankly, the Burj Al Rabbi' is really the icing on that cake.

13. Pransingh Horse

Sep 27, 2006
    Vancouver, Canada
    Thanks guys -- I have only heard lots ooohs and aaahhs about the Burj, so thought it would be neat to see.

So not much in the way of nightlife?

14. Pav

Pav Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 18, 2006
    Warsaw, Poland
    Full Name:
    Michal
    Nightlife = boring

15. zalbahadurji

zalbahadurji Karting

Dec 6, 2006
    Boston/Dubai/Mumbai
    the clubs are good there.. try 400 and trilogy..

Buddha bar is also very nice

16. Pransingh Horse

Sep 27, 2006
    Vancouver, Canada
    thanks to all for your helpful responses.

17. DubaiRich

DubaiRich Karting

Aug 5, 2007
    Sterling, VA
    Since I have lived in Dubai for the past 4 years here's my opinion. There are numerous sites to experience, nightclubs to party and beautiful "people" to view. While many say the Burj is over the top, its a marvel to behold. Staying at any of the Beach Hotels will more than satisfy you with their service, restaurants and overall comfort. Clubs are everywhere, especially at the Jumeirah Beach Hotel, and Madinat Jumeirah. Remember, this is Dubai and everything has to be the biggest and the best. Mentioning Qatar and Kuwait in the same breath as Dubai is funny. Try bringing a female to your hotel room in one of those countries!!! Come and enjoy...seeing is believing.

18. js430

js430 Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2005
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Jerry Kahane
    It is what you make of it. If you go there expecting it to have the character and history of a city like London, you will be disappointed. It's a young, small city-state, with a lot of things going on. Take a boat trip both in the creek and out on the ocean, go for a desert safari, see if you can get in on some track event, take in a golf tournament or horse racing or soccer or cricket match if it's going on, or better yet, go golfing or horse riding yourself. There is also the beach, skiing, etc. Not too cheap for shopping, unless you are used to London prices.

Enjoy the hotels and restaurants and take in the sights.