Dry mouth | FerrariChat

Dry mouth

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Valenzo, Feb 17, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Ok, so I've been experiencing dry mouth almost every morning when i wake up for the past couple of months, i thought it was from sleeping with my mouth open because of some congestion i was having, cold went away still dry mouth. So i had a whole house humidifier installed last week, still dry mouth. I'm talking very dry to where i immediately have to get a drink of water to alleviate it, during the day it goes away but only to come back every morning.

Whats going on here>? Ive searched the net but too many suggestions and WebMD says i have all kinds of problems

after here, next stop doctor

2. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Sleeping with mouth open. Not much else to say.
    Ed

3. PT 328

PT 328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2005
    Any antihistamine use?

4. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    No medication what's so ever. And as far as sleeping with my mouth open, I think I've always been a mouth breather at night so I don't know why this is happening now. I'm going to watch my diet a little more and see if I can identify something different, drink more water during the day and see

It's very strange

5. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    On a similar note, when I jog I get thick, gluey mucus coming up my throat and the back of my tongue. Without fail, 5-8 minutes into any jog/run I am hacking, trying to cough up or swallow it, and end up losing breath and rhythm. All my life it has impaired my ability and desire to run. At the gym I feel like I need a spittoon, outdoors I feel like a llama.

My wife runs a 4-6 miles 2-3 times a week and has no idea what I'm talking about.

Notably, I do NOT get this during elliptical, bike, or other exercise even when vigorous/high intensity.

I am asthmatic, but inhaler use or not it seems to arise.

6. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Are you drinking enough water during the day ?

If you are, I would go get it checked out with blood work to make sure your blood sugar isn't getting high

7. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  8. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Well maybe, I'm not one for allergies, but it's possible

What's strange is that it only happens while I'm sleeping, it wakes me up and when I wake up its at its height, i dont know if its necessarily dry, just a bad taste in my mouth and 'dry' but after washing up and having coffee is goes away for the rest of the day

When I look it up it mention two things mostly: diabetes or stroke

I have not gained weight in over 6 years but I do carry around 10-12 extra lbs, I'm 5'11 188lbs.

I'm going to stop all sweets and my nightly glass or two of wine, starting a excercise program and going to force a half a gallon of water down my throat daily. I'll see what happens for 2 weeks, if persists. I'll go see a doctor. That's the part I hate the most.

9. PT 328

PT 328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2005
    I think it is anticipation of getting your car back from Bradan. :)

10. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    If it's red wine then that could be your problem; it contains histamine which is known for giving some people a stuffy nose.

http://www.michiganallergy.com/food_and_histamine.shtml

11. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    No only white wine, Chardonnay actually. Beer gives me indigestion and I don't drink sodas so with the drinkers that are always at the house or out with us, I stick to wine.

12. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Small community huh.

Yea I definitely attribute my indigestion to that situation.

13. jgoodman

jgoodman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2009
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Jay Goodman
  14. arkferrari

arkferrari Karting
    BANNED

Feb 9, 2004
    Hot Springs, AR
    Full Name:
    B.F. Mitchell
    Have you recently changed toothpaste or mouth rinses? Some newer "tooth whitening" toothpastes have ingredients that tend to dry up the normal salivary flow; the same with rinses having a large alcohol component. Also acidic foods can cause a dry mouth. Sounds to me like something you are putting into your mouth is causing the local reaction of drying of your saliva. Good luck.

15. lencap

lencap Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2003
    Raleigh, NC
    Two thoughts: GERD, describes some of the symptoms especially the taste in the mouth. If it's GERD you can try Gaviscon tablets, don't eat after 8:00 PM, see if that helps.

Could be sleep apnea. That would account for the sleep issues, dry mouth. If you snore that is another symptom. Also common. If that's it you'll take a sleep test, it is the definitive test.

16. WCporsche

WCporsche Karting

Feb 19, 2012
    Thornton, PA
    Full Name:
    Connor Sherman
    Avoid mouthwash that contains alcohol, it's a desiccant.

17. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Okay, update.

I switched my tooth paste to an all natural brand (Tom's) from Trader Joes and i don't use mouthwash.

Ive forced myself to drinking water all day, nearly a half gallon combined, reduced my nightly glass of white wine intake to every other day, reduced my sugar intake to only a couple of chocolates (valentine leftovers) during the week

Ive been scrapping and brushing my tongue, flossing every night.

My dry, bad taste in my mouth has dramatically been reduced but still present when i wake up. But now i have to pee 5 times a day :(

I will continue this regiment for another week.

Thank you for all your suggestions, although Jay i didn't like yours, my vagina never felt dry :)

I really think it was dehydration, before this symptom, i rarely drank water during the day so maybe this was/is the problem

18. WCporsche

WCporsche Karting

Feb 19, 2012
    Thornton, PA
    Full Name:
    Connor Sherman
    You're not consuming enough water imo. I typically drink 1-1.5 gallons a day. You will become acclimated to this, and will not need to pee so frequently.