Driving National Highway 15 to Corning, NY For FCA 2018 Meet | FerrariChat

Driving National Highway 15 to Corning, NY For FCA 2018 Meet

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by norbert, Sep 10, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. norbert

norbert Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2003
    Charlotte, NC Area
    Full Name:
    Norbert Ertel
    If some one could give any chronic road flooding information along National Highway 15 North of Harrisburg to Corning, NY it would be greatly appreciated. Plan to drive up from Charlotte, NC this Saturday. I have just recently moved to the Eastern part of the US so I am not familiar with any of the roads. If information is already posted, please direct me to it.

Thank you!!

Norbert

2. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    From Harrisburg you would take US-22, which is a freeway, west from I-81 until after you cross the river; then you hop on US-11/15 northbound, which is a four-lane (not a freeway) that runs along the west shore of the river.

It becomes a freeway for a few miles but then you exit onto a crowded stretch of four-or six-lane, with lots of signals, for about 5 miles or so. Once you break free of that the road narrows down to two lanes and, as US-15, takes you up to Williamsport, where you hop on I-180 westbound for a few miles. Then you exit onto US-15 northbound, which is a fairly new freeway that will take you all the way to N.Y. state. Get on I-86 eastbound and almost immediately exit onto NY-352, and you're in Corning!

I'd suggest you get on Google Maps and map the route from Harrisburg to Corning, which should follow this route exactly.

3. gt1995

gt1995 Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2011
    Rockville, MD
    Our caravan from the Mid-Atlantic will be traveling that route. Perhaps we will see you - maybe lunch if not too early? Our planned route is:
    • 09:00 - Meet in Rockville, MD <=== Meeting spot for those coming from NoVA, DC, Montgomery County, Prince George's County, and Anne Arundel County
    • 09:30 - Depart for second meeting spot in Frederick via I-270
    • 10:00 - Arrive Frederick, MD <=== Meeting spot for those coming from Baltimore County, Loudoun County, (and Anne Arundel County if preferred)
    • 10:15 - Depart for Williamsport via US-15
    • 13:00 - Lunch at Santino’s Italian Cuisine (24 E Southern Ave, Williamsport, PA 17702)
    • 14:30 - Depart for Corning, NY via US-15
    • 15:45 - Arrive at Radisson Hotel Corning (125 Denison Pkwy E, Corning, NY 14830)
    The FChat thread for the Mid-Atlantic caravan is https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/caravan-to-fca-annual-meet-2018-in-corning-new-york.575779/.

4. norbert

norbert Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2003
    Charlotte, NC Area
    Full Name:
    Norbert Ertel

Thank you for your reply.

I had already Google Mapped the route. I am more concerned with possible delays and road closings because of the hurricane/tornado rains. That is what I was asking about - Are there habitual flooding areas on the route that I don't know about.

Thank you again for your reply.

Norbert

5. norbert

norbert Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2003
    Charlotte, NC Area
    Full Name:
    Norbert Ertel

Thank you for your reply.

Hope I see you guys on the road!!

Norbert

6. norbert

norbert Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2003
    Charlotte, NC Area
    Full Name:
    Norbert Ertel

Beginning in 2004, I drove round trip to six Nationals in a row. 2004 was Monterey, CA. So I attended the VA meet and did the last Corning meet also. Of all the meets attended, I really liked Corning the best.

I hope everyone has a safe drive to the meet!!

Norbert

7. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I can't answer about possible flooding, but I don't think the rains will get that heavy that far north. But nobody knows that this early, so keep watching the forecast, and good luck. I'll be going that way on Friday.

8. gbutler

gbutler Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Glenn Butler
    And I plan to be leaving from Charlotte Friday morning towing an enclosed trailer. Hopefully the hurricane will not alter my plans!

9. gt1995

gt1995 Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2011
    Rockville, MD
    Agreed. The current forecast doesn’t have rain or significant wind that far north. It may make it there later over the weekend but hopefully not to Corning! I’m keeping an eye on it for our group too.

Sounds like a great time to leave Charlotte!

10. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I'm thinking about altering my route a bit and going through West Virginia (Beckley and Morgantown). Surprisingly, it's only about 40 miles longer.

11. Sharknose

Sharknose Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2004
    Pennsylvania
    Note of warning: Route 15 is deer central at dusk and at night. Not sure of your return plans but be aware that we saw literally herds of deer along and in the road coming home late in the day from a pro rally in the Tiadaghton State Forest a few years ago.

12. norbert

norbert Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2003
    Charlotte, NC Area
    Full Name:
    Norbert Ertel
    Thank you for the deer heads up. We are driving to CT from Corning before returning to Charlotte. Will drive to CT during daylight hours also which will help concerning "deer traffic".