Driving holiday, which countries to visit? | FerrariChat

Driving holiday, which countries to visit?

Discussion in 'Europe' started by SFchallenge, Apr 19, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SFchallenge

SFchallenge F1 World Champ

Jun 28, 2004
    Sgp, KL, HK & London
    Full Name:
    Jon Wijaya
    Hi guys & gals, I'm taking part in the 2011 Mille Miglia next month & will be driving around for 7-10days after the event.

I'm thinking of heading East from Italy to Slovenia, Croatia & Sarajevo etc then head back to Italy. Does anyone know how's the road conditions in those countries, security, English?, customs issue, VISA, places to see/eat & visit?

If not, I might head west towards Monaco then French Riviera or north towards Stuttgart to check out Porsche museum.

Any thoughts & recommendations highly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. ulf rickard

ulf rickard Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2009
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Ulf Rickard
    why go east ? If it is Your first time in the area I would suggest, go west ...........

follow the Italien coast line, visit Cinque Terre, Portofino and continue to the wellknowm parts of France along the riviera, Monaco, Nice, visit Vence to look at all painters and sculpters, nice roads by the way. For nice scenery, find a hotel in Greoux-les-Bains and go for a nice tour in the mountains north-east of Greoux-les-bain, I think it is called Verdon

Eat all the food that You possible can, enjoy ....

Ulf Rickard

3. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    I think Ulf is right - how about a big loop west north & south ie Nice / Route Napoleon / SChlumf / STuttgart / Italy

Everything should be much easier both for you and the car

In theory they are all EU apart from Switzerland but.....

4. lampaidea

lampaidea Karting

Jul 26, 2007
    se sei in italia per la 1000 miglia puoi puntare poi ad un giro sulle alpi del trentino....strade molto guidabili e belle come paesaggio.... oppure andare sulla costa partire dalla toscana e seguire la via aurelia verso francia e spagna.......... oppure se vuoi visitare l'italia imbarca l'auto e fatti un bel tour della sardegna......

5. SFchallenge

SFchallenge F1 World Champ

Jun 28, 2004
    Sgp, KL, HK & London
    Full Name:
    Jon Wijaya
    Thanks guys. I did Southern France some years back ending in St Tropez but would love to go Monte Carlo even though I'll miss the GP. Arghh!

Was thinking if Eastern EU will be interesting but you guys got me thinking. I think a coastal drive along Italy would be very fine or make a loop up to Stuttgart & back.

Any other suggestions to towns/cities would be appreciated.

6. Martin D

Martin D F1 Rookie

Nov 7, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin Dietz
    Depends on what you want to see. Stuttgart and the area around offers a lot of car related stuff like Mercedes and Porsche Museeum, Bob Forstner Lambo Collection, Meilenwerk and other small museums. About 1.5h north of Stuttgart is the car & technic museum Sinsheim. they have lots of cars, trunks (all kind of army stuff) and airplanes. Its been a while since I've visited the place last time but I guess you need a day to get throught the whole place. Here's a link: http://sinsheim.technik-museum.de/

City wise Stuttgart doesn't offer too much. Heidelberg, Tübingen and of course Munich are much nicer cities to visit.

Martin

7. lampaidea

lampaidea Karting

Jul 26, 2007
    beh potresti un giro fuori autostrada........da brescia sali a livigno per passare poi a st moritz e dirigerti verso la germania.....passando per il san gottardo....ma sul passo non con il tunnel.....