Driving from St. Louis to Wichita - Good Shops On The Way? | FerrariChat

Driving from St. Louis to Wichita - Good Shops On The Way?

Discussion in 'Midwest - USA (NE, KS, OK, MO, AR)' started by onewhippedpuppy, Jul 25, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. onewhippedpuppy

Jul 25, 2012
    Wichita, KS
    Full Name:
    Matt J
    Hello all, I'm making the trip to St. Louis on Saturday to pick up my new 2003 Maserati Coupe Cambiocorsa and drive it back home to Wichita (450 miles). While I'm confident in the car that I'm buying, I'd like to compile a list of independent shops in MO and KS just in case I run into problems. Can anyone suggest any shops in MO or eastern KS? Thanks!

2. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Within the St. Louis area:

GLB
    Reid Vann
    Exotic Midwest Motors
    Illinois side - Le Stable

Jeff

3. onewhippedpuppy

Jul 25, 2012
    Wichita, KS
    Full Name:
    Matt J
    Thanks Jeff! Hopefully I make it a bit farther than St. Louis before needing help:), but that at least gives me the option of heading back.

4. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    which way are you headed? west on 70 or southwest on 64?

there are a few places in Springfield MO and you *might* find someone who could work on a car in Columbia but otherwise not much between STL and KC.

5. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    Vince Hill of Hill Automotive here in Joplin does excellent work. He would rake good care of you if necessary.

6. rollsorferrari?

rollsorferrari? F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2006
    St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Jeff mentioned most if not all of the STL shops, I think in KCK Aristocrat is still a Maserati dealer, and I'm sure there are independent shops in that area.

7. onewhippedpuppy

Jul 25, 2012
    Wichita, KS
    Full Name:
    Matt J
    I plan to head I70 through KC and I35 back to Wichita. Heading SW on I44 out of St. Louis is tempting because I get to enjoy a drive through the Ozarks and it takes me by Springfield, but it also adds more than an hour to my trip.

8. onewhippedpuppy

Jul 25, 2012
    Wichita, KS
    Full Name:
    Matt J
    Thanks, so far that's the closest shop to Wichita if I need service work that I can't handle myself. For future reference, can anyone recommend a good independent in Wichita? I'm well acquainted with Porsches and the local service options, but this will be my first Italian car.

9. onewhippedpuppy

Jul 25, 2012
    Wichita, KS
    Full Name:
    Matt J
    Thanks for the advice all, the drive home was totally uneventful except for my wife yelling at me to slow down.:)

10. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Next time you are in StL again let us know - might be a FCA event going on. You were one weekend late for our most recent one.

Jeff

11. sumbaco

sumbaco Karting

Jun 21, 2008
    I was just in Wichita over the weekend. Man that place was hot.

Congrats on the new acquisition. I think Wichita will need a Cars and Coffee event.

Cheers

12. onewhippedpuppy

Jul 25, 2012
    Wichita, KS
    Full Name:
    Matt J
    Hellishly hot. A cars and coffee type event would be fantastic, but I don't know if we have the quantity of enthusiasts here in town to support it.

13. sumbaco

sumbaco Karting

Jun 21, 2008
    Not enough enthusiasts? That's a shame as I saw a ton of Porches driving around. Are there any good 'driving' roads around Wichita?

14. onewhippedpuppy

Jul 25, 2012
    Wichita, KS
    Full Name:
    Matt J
    #14 onewhippedpuppy, Aug 4, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2012
    There is an active PCA community, I've gotten together with them a few times and they seem to get good participation. Also a small but active BMWCCA group. Maybe I'm just being pessimistic, if someone went to the effort to coordinate all of the active car clubs in town it might be a good turn out. I am not aware of any Italian car clubs, but that doesn't mean there aren't any.

There's a fun route SE of town, part of which is called Thunder Road by the motorcycle guys. If you go the entire route it ends in Winfield. I've ran it a few times with the BMW club and it's a lot of fun. In the winter it's a little spooky though, the sand from treating for snow and ice makes traction interesting and can really abuse your car. We almost lost an E39 that went sideways on a corner after he dropped a wheel off of the shoulder and over corrected, and I cracked a windshield in my C36 AMG.

15. GML

GML Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2010
    Kansas
    The route up 177 through the Flinthills to council grove is pretty interesting too.

16. GML

GML Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2010
    Kansas
    There are some enthusiasts in Wichita for sure but we haven't gone for a drive for a long time.