Driving from Denver to Aspen in winter? | FerrariChat

Driving from Denver to Aspen in winter?

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain' started by nathandarby67, Feb 6, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Looking at options for a family ski trip at the end of February, found a place to stay in Snowmass Village that looks like something we'd really enjoy. I've also never skied any of the Aspen area mountains, and would love to add that to my list. How dicey is the drive from Denver typically? Is this something I should even consider, or should I stick with somewhere closer like Winter Park or the Summit County resorts? Direct flights into ASE are almost triple the cost of flights to Denver, and I really don't want to multiply that X 5 of us!

2. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Unless it's actually snowing, it should be no problem. They keep I70 clear. Be aware that backups do happen on winter weekends from about Silverthorne east.

Dave

3. nitro

nitro Karting

Dec 9, 2012
    Snowmass/KenCaryl
    So, as someone who does this commute often (will be in Snowmass next week actually), let me give a few options and reality. First, the plug....the conditions in Aspen/Snowmass are off the hook right now. Best season since '08-'09...no joke.

Now, to get to Aspen there are two passes, to get to Vail, you must go over those same two passes. Winter Park has one pass as does summit county. My point is, once you get to Vail, you might as well just keep going to Snowmass. Yes, Vail pass tends to close more than the access to the tunnels, but so does Berthod Pass to go to Winter Park. The best way to do this is. Fly into Denver. Watch the weather and road conditions. Use cotrip.org before you leave Denver. If Vail pass is open, you are golden. If its not, just stay the evening in Denver and get up early. Because, if Vail pass is closed, there's better than a 60% chance that I-70 is also closed from Georgetown to the tunnel (meaning no access to Summit County either).

As far as airports, flying into Aspen is no picnic. If the weather is bad, you will find yourself driving from Denver anyway. If you want a nice combo of convenience and no passes to go over, try Grand Junction (2 hrs from Snowmass NO PASSES) or Eagle country airport (NO PASSES) 1.5 hours from Snowmass.

Hope this helps. I guess in short, driving from Denver IMO is the least amount of stress and cost. BUT...please do your homework before going west of the city. If you do your research and are patient, you will have no problems. OH..last thing, again, does not matter if your going to Summit county or Aspen. Do not try driving on i-70 West Friday afternoon/evening/Sat/Sun morning AND don't be that person who schedules his flight out of Denver Sat/Sun afternoon/evening. Hope this helps.

4. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    That is AWESOME info, just perfect. Thanks!

We are looking at arriving/leaving mid week, so thankfully should miss the weekend traffic.

On to more important info...travel issues notwithstanding, would you recommend Snowmass by a significant margin over Copper Mtn, as far as the actual skiing and village/town amenities? I am basically trying to decide between Copper and Snowmass (never been to either), and may also spend a few days in WP (been there before, but has been 10-15yrs). Have spent the past several seasons skiing the Park City area resorts (Deer Valley mostly), and want to try something different this year. I am a fairly advanced skier, but my wife is very much a greens/easy blues kind of girl. We also have a 5 year old who has been on the snow a few times but still very much in the learning stage.

Appreciate any recommendations!

5. nitro

nitro Karting

Dec 9, 2012
    Snowmass/KenCaryl
    #5 nitro, Feb 6, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    OK...so, Here is my 2 cents, and I will try to be impartial even though its hard because of my job. In my opinion, the Aspen/Snowmass product from every aspect is one of the top 5 ski destination products in the world. Snowmass has everything in one place and is a ripp'n mountain. Greens, blues, blacks and cliffs, Snowmass has it all. Couple that with Highlands/Ajax,and Buttermilk (X-games) you have something for everyone. The food is incredible, nightlife, concerts, everything. Free buses to and from Aspen. Ski-in ski-out everywhere in Snowmass. IMO, no comparison with Copper Mountain. Shouldnt even be in the same sentence. Copper Mtn is a good I-70 ski area. Ski, then leave. Winter Park...I enjoy Winter Park. Its a cool town, good food, good vibe. Just remember, if you go to Copper or Winter Park, no matter what, Sat/Sun you will have MASSIVE crowds. So you might as well not even buy lift tickets those days. Not so at Aspen/Snowmass.
    Here's a photo of me at a shoot a few years back to wet the appetite (Gowdys/Snowmass):
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    #6 PhilNotHill, Feb 6, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
    Please be advised that there is construction on the main bridge in Glenwood Springs. Lots of delays. It is a mess. And will be for several months.

You can call 877 315-7623 or go to cotrip.org for road conditions and construction. The subject road is Colorado State Hwy 82. It goes from Glenwood to Aspen is 4 lane all the way (except for the construction) and is 45 miles to Aspen/Snowmass.

The weather this week shows zero% chance of precip to next Sunday. You will not need a car if your hotel has shuttle service to Aspen. Most do which is a must. Cab fare is $35 plus tip one way.Bus is free during the day. After 5 pm it's like $5 per person each way.

So if your hotel has free shuttle to Aspen l would fly. Your hotel should pick you up at the airport. The airport is between Snowmass Village and Aspen. Check this out. If you have a car you won't want to drive your car into Aspen. Parking is impossible. You want to take a shuttle. Parking after 6pm and all day Sunday is free. Finding a space is the tough part.

If you are eating at Little Nell or St. Regis they have valet parking if you eat there. It's free but l always tip. The dinners will be very expensive.

Call me an Aspen snob but the Viceroy is the only restaurant in Snowmass to eat at...but not worth driving from
    Aspen where we live, there are a dozen restaurants in Aspen that are better. Within Aspen there is free shuttle service around town. If you want pizza or a burger Snowmass is fine.

Best.

7. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    #7 nathandarby67, Feb 6, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Snowmass it is then! Nitro, your post has me fired up!

What is your connection there? Do you work there in some capacity? I really appreciate any tips/recommendations. Would mostly be looking for family-friendly places, will probably have to leave the fine dining until the kids are older. Also, is the Snowmass ski school a good one for kids? I've heard Buttermilk is more of a beginner friendly mountain, would it be worth it to take the 5 yr old there as opposed to Snowmass for lessons or family green skiing?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Falcon Wing

Falcon Wing Formula 3

Aug 4, 2010
    Colorado Springs
    Try the CDOT mobil app for up to date road conditions, drive times, and road cams.

9. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    If you are skiing greens you will have much more variety at Buttermilk. You can do it at Snowmass. If you get tired of those runs you can always go to Buttermilk. It's all the same ski school. If you want a private lesson for your family it's about $1000 for a day.

My family learned to ski at Buttermilk. We liked our instructor and he took us to Snowmass. He knew both mountains like the back of his hand. Ski school goes to the front of the lift line.

Best.

10. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Excellent info. We will probably have a few family days where I'll ski easy stuff with my wife and kids, and I'll have a few days alone where I can go ski a little harder. Is it worth trying to ski one area in the morning, then move to another for the afternoon? Say morning with wife and kids at Buttermilk and head to Ajax for the afternoon alone? Or just stick to one area per day?

Thanks again for all the advice. If any of you locals are going to be around towards the end of February let me know, I'd love to buy you a drink somewhere. Always enjoy meeting fellow fchatters! (especially ones with insider ski advice) ;)

11. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    #11 PhilNotHill, Feb 6, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
    You have a beautiful family.

I only ski one mountain a day. It takes at least 30 minutes to take the shuttle between mountains. Too much downtime for me. I eat breakfast at home and then go to Snowmass. I don't stop for lunch. I ski such that l don't wait in line. I don't stop period. I keep skiing until my legs get tired. Then l go back to my club, hot tub, steambath, free munchies and wine. Then home where my wife has dinner waiting.

Aspen is basically all black runs. They say some are blue and blue/black. Most crowded.
    Buttermilk is basically all green runs.
    Snowmass is mostly blue but has a few green and a few black...some are very tough.
    Highlands. Locals love it. They hike up to the bowl and ski down. Too much work for me. Haven't skied highlands in decades.

I just ski Snowmass. I just ski groomed blue runs now. I am 70.

Thanks for the drink offer. You need to be with your beautiful family. Enjoy every minute.

12. nitro

nitro Karting

Dec 9, 2012
    Snowmass/KenCaryl
    I agree with just about everything Phil said with a few exceptions. I totally forgot about the bridge construction in Glenwood. If its backed up, drive to the 2nd Glenwood exit and back track. Ok so, food in Snowmass. 8k at the Viceroy is outstanding. My favorite as well. However, Artisan and Ill Poggio are top notch. Family dinning is super easy in Snowmass with Slice or Venga Venga and a host other options. They are good and fun and right out your door.

Ski school. Snowmass spent a fortune on the "Meadows" beginner area. Yes, Buttermilk was designed in the 70s to be the beginner area, but I think Snowmass has the modern facilities (now) to teach a guest. Phil is exactly correct, pick one mountain a day, do not try to go to two in a day. Phil is also correct, once in Snowmass you really do not need a car.

Snowmass for years got a bad wrap for being a "blue" skier mountain. That all changed about 15 years ago when they added Hanging Valley and the Burnside areas. Yes, the pitch is better in Aspen, yes, Highlands Bowl is epic and unique to Colorado (and must be skied), but if you want to scare yourself straight, Snowmass has the lines.

13. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    #13 PhilNotHill, Feb 7, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
    The second exit is West Glenwood Springs. Stay on the south side of l-70. The Colorado River and l-70 should be on you left. You will pass a shopping mall on the right.

Stay on the side road until you get to the roundabout and then get back to 82. It's a four lane road. Turn right to Aspen.

If you need gas get it in Glenwood. The closer you get to Aspen the higher the price. Be prepared for a shock if you wait to get gas in Aspen or Snowmass.

14. nitro

nitro Karting

Dec 9, 2012
    Snowmass/KenCaryl
    #14 nitro, Feb 18, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
    What a mess! Figured I'd post the most recent update regarding I-70 west. Not sure when you were coming out..but an FYI for anyone traveling west from Denver.
    Glenwood Canyon opening delayed, Rock slide closed I-70 Monday night - 7NEWS Denver TheDenverChannel.com

OH...I will be in Snowmass Feb 24-Mar 2nd, so I could grab a drink if you are in town. Always love chatting Ferrari. I will actually be in town to help with a winter driving event with Lamborghini. Hopefully it stays cold at night for the track.

15. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    I70 thru Glenwood Canyon still closed. Paper says may be open in a few days.

Boulders as large as suvs have be removed and the holes in the road have to be repaired. Costs estimated $3-5 million.

16. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    I70 cosed from 9-4. Otherwise pilot cars employed and waits of an hour.

17. nitro

nitro Karting

Dec 9, 2012
    Snowmass/KenCaryl
    Unreal mess. I'm going to leave tomorrow night at 9pm....get to the Canyon late and hope that works. Snow is supposed to subside by later tomorrow afternoon.

AHHHH!

18. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Welcome to life in the mountains...

Sorry for the inconvenience.

CW

19. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Glenwood Canyon now open one lane both ways. Pilot cars. Delays 30 to 60 minutes.