Driving and Parking in Monaco | FerrariChat

Driving and Parking in Monaco

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Ron328, Jan 3, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Wife, 18-yo son, and I are going to Monaco (first time) in Aug this year. (We stay in Nice and Monaco for 4 and 2 nights, respectively). I plan on renting a car. Is traffic and especially parking bad? Is it better to commute? Is Europcar a good rental company? Would appreciate tips. Thanks in advance.

2. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    You can walk in Monaco, it's not that big and the nice areas are all walking distance. Last time i went, we got there early in the am by car, parked it underground and walked all day then took the car back to our hotel (outside of Monaco). Others time, i parked on the street after circling around a few times (which is not that bad a thing to do considering all the nice cars you see..)
    I did take the train once from Nice to Mc, i think it was during the F1 race. It wasnt bad, but i was in my 20s..

Nice is a big city so you will always find parking or a valet to take care of your car.

Do you plan on visiting any other towns around? 2 nights, i assume 3 days in Monaco might be too much unless you are visiting friends.

I would suggest going to St Tropez also. Or a bit further west, you have La Ciotat or Cassis which are really pretty small town by the water. Very cute.

3. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Ron

Thank you, Andrew. We plan to see St Tropez, Cannes, Antibes, Nice, Eze, and Monaco. We have 6 days. I googled Cassis and La Ciotat and they look nice and might consider heading that direction if we have time. Good to know that 3 days may be more than enough for Monaco, in which case we may drive further east to Ventimiglia, Italy.

4. YellowF50

YellowF50 Formula Junior

Feb 15, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    K B
    Not sure on full regulations as I have never driven through but have been, however I was told of people turned away for not having correct paperwork for car.

Not sure exactly what is needed maybe somebody can clarify this.

5. NoSpeedLimit

NoSpeedLimit Karting

Sep 6, 2013
    Ron, keep in ming that July and August are French summer holidays. 2016 France holiday periods and public holiday calendar
    If I were you, I would choose June or September. Friends of mine often went to Saint Tropez in summer. Driving through Saint Tropez is no fun. It's only stop and go.

6. IamRobG

IamRobG F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2007
    NY
    I stayed in Cap ferrat in July for my honeymoon. We had a rental and would drive back and forth to nice and monaco. Traffic wasn't bad at all.

7. forzatifosi

forzatifosi Karting

Aug 30, 2009
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    J
    my dad and I rented a car when we went to the grand prix in 08'....traffic wasn't bad...we drove from monaco to nice and san remo. I don't recall having too much trouble parking but their are quite a few hotels you can always valet at (may get expensive)

8. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    This is true but during the day. You can get stuck in traffic with people trying to get to St Tropez or nearby beaches. Id suggest going early, and parking the car by the harbor or anywhere you can find,then just walk around. Lots of really cute street with small restaurants with great food and if you need to, there is a lot of shopping to do. I used to go pmearly am or after 8pm. You can dine late, then walk by the harbor and drool over the yachts while having an ice cream.

9. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Ventimiglia is nice. I temember it being very strange how crossing the border from France to Italy was so quick, yet the change in the personalities of the people was so evident.

Make sure you visit the Picasso Museum in Antibes!

10. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Ron
    #10 Ron328, Jan 7, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  11. IamRobG

IamRobG F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2007
    NY
    6 days is definitely not enough! I was there for almost 10 days 4 years ago and it was too short. I feel like we didn't accomplish anything.

12. Santiago Montenegro

Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2009
    Caracas
    Of all the places mentioned, I am partial to San Remo. There's a rather humble restaurant by the beach parking called "Maona"... the fritto misto alone is worth the trip.

13. bbs911

bbs911 Formula Junior

May 31, 2007
    Dallas
    If you're looking for a fancy, romantic dinner in a Michelin rated restaurant, Chateau Eze.