Driving a California in the UK during the winter | FerrariChat

Driving a California in the UK during the winter

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Oitbc, Jun 18, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Oitbc

Oitbc Rookie

Mar 25, 2021
    Full Name:
    Phil Thomas
    I’ve been through 5-6 pages using the term ‘winter’ on the forum and basically have seen people either park up their car for 4 months or ask about winter tyres for their FF or that Michigan is really cold in the USA :)

I am treating my Cali as a daily driver and would like to drive it in the Winter (not talking snow drifts and slush) - just the usual British winter weather.

Questions that arise

Do I need to go for winter tyres?
    Should I hose it down to get rid of the salt each time I drive it?
    Do I need to hose it underneath? Is there a tool to do it?
    Am I mad and should I just garage it

Driving would typically be about 30-40 miles a day taking the kids back and fro to school and going food shopping or over to Reading for Xmas shopping. School is on a B road but it’s used like a main road between Wokingham and Reading.

Before the Cali it was 4wd fast audis or little front wheel drive Fords - Cali is the first RwD car and I’ve spent a lot of time laughing at BMWs wheel spinning in the snow in the past. Those days it will be jump in the small Ford.

2. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Your probably mad; but what the f*** we are only here for a short period, so enjoy it!

As to winter tyres; yes. Not only is the trend pattern different, but the compound is different and designed to work at colder temperatures.

As to cleaning/washing it…I’m not sure. Continually clean it or leave it? To be honest I doubt it matters.

Oitbc likes this.
  3. PROV

PROV Rookie

Oct 30, 2019
    Middlesbrough, UK
    I used mine throughout last winter sporadically. I didnt have winter tyres as my daily does have them (Ghibli).
    They definitely improve things but you would be OK on normal summers... until it snows. Then it will be barely drivable. If you can afford to not use it in snow you should be OK without

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

Oitbc likes this.