Driver's side rear shock removal....How? | FerrariChat

Driver's side rear shock removal....How?

Discussion in '308/328' started by Jasonious, Jul 15, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jasonious

Jasonious Rookie

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    Hello Folks

I have a 79 GTB that I am doing a shock and spring replacement on. The fronts were entertaining with the upper A arm having to come off and the rear passenger side was a breeze to remove. The driver's side, however, not so much. Looks like I need 1/2 an inch or so to clear the top mount and the oil cooler and distributor are in the way to boot. I have loosened the oil cooler and have it partially out of the way. Does the distributor need to come off? Any secret Ninja tricks to get the shock and spring out without resorting to removing the hub and axle shaft?

Would it be possible to compress the spring in situ and gain that half an inch by pushing down on the shock with a compressed spring?

Looking for ideas from people who have been there and done that :)

Thanks!

2. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I had to use spring compressor on both my rear shocks to get them out and back in again.

3. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Start by disconnecting the rear sway bar at the lower A arm. If that does not give you enough droop in the suspension then you will need to unbolt the driveshaft.

waymar likes this.
  4. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

I replaced the suspension on my 79 years ago and remember going ahead and refinishing the A arms at the same time. Once those are out, there is room to remove the coil overs.

5. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    +1

6. Jasonious

Jasonious Rookie

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    Thanks for the replies. Did you use a standard spring compressor up in the well? I'm having a difficult time envisioning how it would fit up there!

I've been searching the internet's for a mini version.

I'm looking to avoid undoing the driveshafts if possible.

7. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    It’s been a while since I did it but as I recall I used a spring compressor for import cars. I borrowed one from Autozone that worked. Be careful, a compressed spring has a lot of potential energy.

8. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    On a 308 the spring shock assembly is much more like a racing coil over damper setup than the shock and strut assembly most spring compressors are made for. The spring coils are closer together and the overall diameter is smaller making it hard for most spring compressors to work.

With space already at a premium in the wheel well I cannot imagine how you can fit a spring compressor in that area ESPECIALLY if you don’t want to scratch the heck out of your springs and shocks.

These cars are not commuters that are worked on in the fastest way possible. Extra care and disassembly is often required to keep from doing unnecessary damage.

9. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
  10. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Honestly, I'd pull the end of the driveshaft off the hub and move on; the bolts are not difficult to access.

waymar likes this.
  11. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Yes you need the cup style rather than hook style of spring compressor. It has only one screw and it fits up in there okay, not really a problem. Removing the driveshaft isn't going to do you any good, it's the A-arm that causes the interference. You only need to compress it an inch or two to get it to clear as I remember.

12. Jasonious

Jasonious Rookie

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    @BrianA - Thanks for the link! That looks perfect. I ordered it up and we'll see how it goes.

Yes removing the axle won't get the required clearance here. The entire A arm assembly looks to have to be removed. In the front, the upper A arms had to be taken off. Not a huge deal, but I'd prefer not to do it if I don't have to in the back

13. Basal Skull

Basal Skull Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 26, 2010
    Vancouver BC
    Done it twice, removed upper A arm each time. Used a strap from hub to frame while A-arm and shock is off. Watch to not loose the little dowels in the washer surface of the of the outer A-arm!

waymar likes this.
  14. Jasonious

Jasonious Rookie

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    Basal Skull likes this.
  15. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    EXCELLENT!

16. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    That is one spring compressor I do not have. And I have too many spring compressors to go out and buy another one. But, if I were to do this job, I would just remove the upper A arm which would take 15 minutes to undo for me. Slick spring compressor ... must resist buying more tools .... must resist....

17. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Rob has one. I volunteer him to lend it to you when you need it.:D

18. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I just did a bushing job on a 328 and I removed the upper A arm and the shock at the same time and it was a breeze.