Driver's License Renewal | FerrariChat

Driver's License Renewal

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by spicedriver, Jun 25, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Did you all know that you now need to bring along a Birth Certificate to get your Driver's License renewed ? Sheesh!

2. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    Where?

3. richard_wallace

richard_wallace Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    For the new ID's - I just got mine.

You can look on the DMV site but here is what I had: The new id's all have the same requirements I believe for all states that are requiring the new ID.

1.) Current valid Drivers License
    2.) Passport or other state or federal photo ID
    3.) SS card or Birth Certificate. Someone told me you can only have a non laminated SS card, Mine is my original, so not an issue, but I think all reissues were laminated, so might want to check that if bringing a SS card
    4.) 2 forms of bills/identification that has your name and address: IE. Electric Bill, Bank Statement, Cable Bill, Cell Phone Bill, etc. etc. Must have your name (not your wifes). Or can have both, but must have your name on the bill and full address...

Oh, and you get it in the mail only to the address you have on your id/bills. About 2 weeks later, so give yourself some time - you do keep the old one if it is not expired.

4. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    I went through insanity last time I renewed my license. I wanted to get a Federal license as I figured it would make it easier to deal with security checkpoints so I brought 4 pieces of i.d. with me. The clerk first refused to accept my paystub because the name of my town was missing one letter on it so it didn’t match the other forms of I.d. that I brought. Then two other bills that I brought she wouldn’t accept because one had the village I live in listed on it and the other had the town listed on it even though both had the same zip code name and street address. So she would only accept my social security card but that wasn’t enough for a federal I’d so I couldn’t get one.

5. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Apparently this is a Homeland Security requirement, so every State in the US.

Birth Certificate or Passport, SS card or W2, utility bills, bank statements, car registration. Would also be a good idea to bring an eye test certificate. And all names must match. So if your Birth Certificate says Johnathan, and you've got John on your electric bill, you're out of luck.

My home State wants 30 days to process a birth certificate (no I've never needed one before). The State I live in now wants 90 days to make an appointment for renewal. Or you could stand in line all day, and might get called. Or might not get called.

6. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
  7. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Huh.

I just go to my state's DMV website & renew it online. Takes about 5 minutes & however many $, every 8 years or so.

If things have changed, I'll let you know sometime in 2025.

pilotoCS likes this.
  8. usshelena725

usshelena725 Karting

Nov 22, 2014
    Johnson City, TN
    ^This. Surely this varies from state to state. I renewed mine a couple of years ago via the internet. It's now good till 2024. Just renewed my concealed carry permit via the internet in 2018 as well. Had a choice to pay an extra $100 and make it valid for life. That was a no brainer.

Gotta love Tennessee.

Island Time likes this.
  9. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    There is a new federal standard set by the Real ID act that I linked to above.

The question isn't whether you can drive on your state-issued ID.

The question is whether your state-issued ID will be accepted by the Federal Government, including TSA for flying, after October 2020.

Matt

10. usshelena725

usshelena725 Karting

Nov 22, 2014
    Johnson City, TN
    Ah, gotcha, thank you for the clarification. Wife is a foreign national, so we typically just utilize passports for air travel, especially as most is international anyway.

Regards.

Smiles likes this.
  11. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011