Drive shaft bearing and rear trans seal/bearing | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Drive shaft bearing and rear trans seal/bearing

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by SouthJersey400i, Nov 30, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GT Jones

GT Jones Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2011
    Lincoln, MA
    Full Name:
    Christian J
    You definitely want to install the bearing in the tube first. There should be a circlip holding it in place.

2. Highmiler

Highmiler Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2010
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Greg
    #52 Highmiler, Jan 18, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
    As buried in my post, "I don't know about torque tubes". If the bearing is supposed to float a bit to position itself you should not have to drive it into position as you would with an open shaft center support bearing. Tapping it on using the inner race avoids the problem of roughing up the races because of transfering the force through the balls.
    I have a bunch of company coming in a few minutes. In the PM let me know what time would be convenient for me to call tomorrow. I'm in the CST zone.
    Greg

P.S. I am learning about the transmission issues from you.

3. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Greg
    I sent PM with phone #.
    Ken

4. GT Jones

GT Jones Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2011
    Lincoln, MA
    Full Name:
    Christian J
    #54 GT Jones, Mar 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    To close up this thread I have a few notes to add:

Start by reading the WSM and studying the parts diagrams.

-Support the engine / transmission near the rear of transmission.
    -Disconnect axle shafts at differential side. Use zip ties to support axles at nearly horizontal. If you let them droop they can bend the thin flange that secures the CV boot and it's difficult to straighten it out again.
    -Remove diff mount nuts
    -Remove 8 nuts at gearbox.
    -Remove rear transmission mount
    -Slide the differential and tube assembly rearward then down and free from the car
    -Remove the 6 split nuts on the differential flange
    -Slide/pry the tube away from the diff and remove.
    -Split the tube in half at 4 bolt connection
    -Replace center bearing
    -Leave the driveshaft connected at the differential end. The relative position of the shaft between the collars at each end is critical and a pain to reset if you completely disconnect the driveshaft. As noted in a previous post, the drive shaft can NOT contact the transmission output shaft or pinion.
    -Use new hardened lock washers on the 8 bolts of the collars. Torque those m8x1 bolts to 4 kg-m
    -Torque 6 split nuts on tube flange to differential to 7 kg-m

I had some time to kill this winter so I painted the tube and cleaned up the diff as much as possible.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    I wish I could find my WSM. I seem to have mislaid it. ;-)

6. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    GT
    I know we worked thru this job together, but you have over-simplified a few points:

- Removing the top two nuts on the g-box is a real treat and requires just the right combo of sockets, u-joints and extensions.
    -Sliding diff back was not so easy. I had to buy a "come along" cable puller to get it to move. Trick is raising and lowering the trans/engine to get assembly in just the right alignment; this also is needed on re-assembly.
    - lots of things need to be kept clear of the diff when lowering or raising it, not the least of which is the fuel lines, especially with fuel in the tank.
    - If you have drive shaft in contact with diff shaft it can not possible be in contact with the transmission output shaft. I did not see that it it was critical to not be in contact with the diff, only the tranny. My match marks confirmed that this position was same as previous. That was approach I took.
    - Yeah I painted mine semi-gloss black too.

Nice re-cap!
    Ken