Dream Ferrari Garage | FerrariChat

Dream Ferrari Garage

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by JEP, Aug 19, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JEP

JEP Rookie

Jun 6, 2008
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Full Name:
    Jorge
    #1 JEP, Aug 19, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2008
    1. What sould you wish for in a new garage to put your ferrari in and how would you like it to be?

2. What is the best garage you have ever seen?

2. ferrarilover

ferrarilover F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Barrie, ON, Canada
    Full Name:
    Christopher Bailey
    Definitely needs a wash bay, carpet between cars to step on, all the right colors (red white yellow and a prancing horse in black) and good artwork.

Chris

3. 4REphotographer

4REphotographer F1 Veteran

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I would make mine an entire room, TVs, game systems, pool table, bar, sofas and a huge library of Ferrari books, DVDs, and games. It would have a lot of glass to make sure to have a ton of light coming in and be put somewhere to have a great view.

4. Daryl

Daryl Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Barrington Hills, IL
    Full Name:
    Daryl Adams
    #4 Daryl, Aug 20, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I grappled with this question for a time when I decided to build a dedicated home for my cars and car hobby stuff. After doing several designs I finally decided to take the low cost approach and have a generic pole barn built. I customized the standard barn, however to get something a little special. Mechanical work is all done in my attached garage. This is where the cars live the rest of the time. Access doors are carriage doors with the big murals on them so I don't have any unsightly overhead door hardware cluttering up the interior. The wall in front of the cars has all my art and posters, while the end wall behind the camera position is floor to ceiling glass and library shelves for my car books.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. toshiba

toshiba Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Santa
    #5 toshiba, Aug 20, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    these first 2 I think is the best garage ( if it even is a garage) I've seen. class all the way, doesn't even look like a normal garage at all

I've been thinking about the same thing how I would build the "ultimate" garage if I could. i would do an 8 car garage, then leave it long enough to park a second car for every door, that's 16 spots then. then add lifts to the back so you have 16 spaces in back, and 8 in front so the 8 in front would be cars you drive all the time...

6. whatsupofficer

whatsupofficer Formula Junior

May 25, 2007
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Carlos
    Daryl, congratulatios on your car garage. It is sublime and beautifully understated but a great showcase for your cars. How did you light the murals? They seem as if they are backlit. is it all halogen lighting.? Does that not heat up in the garage ? Is the hardware for your carriage doors on the outside of the building ? Please post more pics. You have great ideas. I think that the nicest garages are designed as galleries or museums, if you will, for the cars. I also have a detaced 4 car garage and my workshop and additional 2 car garage is seperate.Your garage is very well designed. thanks for posting.

7. Aero400

Aero400 Formula Junior

May 28, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    That looks awesome Daryl. Seriously nice.

8. jm348

jm348 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 21, 2007
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeff M
  9. Christian.Fr

Christian.Fr Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    I like the decoration, lights, floors, art works, it s clear and very pleasant admosphere. Congrats.

10. JCW Driver

JCW Driver Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2006
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Bronson G.
    Daryl, you hit a home run. Nailed it right on the seams.

Very, very nicely done.

I do have one question. Are the carraige doors electrically opened with concealed motors and hardware, or did you stick with the old fashioned method of just getting out and opening them?

11. Daryl

Daryl Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Barrington Hills, IL
    Full Name:
    Daryl Adams
    Thanks for the kind words. I considered electric openers for the carriage doors, but they were too clunky looking. For me, taking the cars out is a special event. I always roll the cars outside before starting them (just in case they decide to set themselves on fire) and the time it takes me to manually close the doors forces me to slow down and let the cars warm up a little before driving off. The artwork and murals are just illuminated by the track lighting. It's all switched as individual bays, so you can have as much or as little light as you need. I'll be finished with the barn in a week or so and will post better pictures, including the exterior.

12. ExoticSpotter

ExoticSpotter Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2008
    I remember seeing the pics you posted in the "my garage" thread a few months ago... I've always liked your garage ever since I saw the first photos. Besides having good taste as an interior designer, you clearly have great taste in automotive muscle. Kudos to you sir, on a job well done.

13. TG

TG F1 Veteran

Oct 26, 2004
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Taylor
    I look forward to checking back. When you said floor to ceiling glass, does that instigate to being modern architecture?

14. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I'll worry about attaining the cars first. Then I'll figure out how to design the garage.;)

15. carbon_00

carbon_00 Formula Junior

May 5, 2006
    Toronto/London, UK
    Full Name:
    Scott

Stunning. The print work is fantastic.

16. JCW Driver

JCW Driver Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2006
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Bronson G.
    Understand completely about the doors and the openers.

My personal preference would be to really try to avoid anything unfinished looking, that hangs down from the ceilings in a space that finished. I have never been happy with the look of the exposed overhead door tracks under those circumstances, and might likely do the same as you in foregoing power openers if the cars being parked there, were not daily drivers. It's the fussy and anal retentive architect in me, I guess.

I look forward to more photos! If you have the time at some point, send me a PM and I'll pass along my email address, to grovel for some higher resolution photos. ;) I'm always thinking and scheming about my ideal garage space when the time comes (not yet...house and lot are too small). :)

Also, brilliant car selection. The Mangusta looks like new.

17. Max4HD

Max4HD Formula 3

Jun 20, 2006
    Florida
    Fantastic looking "garage"!

And your method of getting them ready for a drive really says a lot about your joy of owning them.

Very inspiring if I may say.
    (I know this may sound a little corny to "outsiders", but I am sure fellow Fchatters understand.)

Please post up more photos when you take them.

Cheers

18. Greer

Greer Karting

Mar 20, 2005
    Alpharetta GA
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Greer
    amazing... that is an awesome garage

19. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

Daryl, that is beautiful. The Espada is particularly lovely, to me, at least.

Tell me, how do the doors articulate?

(I think you need a pair of Eames lounge chairs in there, too)

20. cavallino33

cavallino33 Formula Junior

Jul 10, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    That's truly a fantastic garage. Actually maybe car gallery would be the better term.

21. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Doing my warehouse now just had it painted inside. Going to put up my auto artwork,

adding a 46" LCD and a small bar area w couches for chiiling w my friends and some race seats for video games and later a small wet bar area

Later I'll install some display cases and a floor but I need it to be flat for rolling cars around so no brick, stone etc

Is that black floor slate ?

22. bounty

bounty F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I wondered the exact same thing...that's my favorite part...the floor.

23. 4RE42

4RE42 Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2006
    Salem, OR
    Full Name:
    Michael & Melinda
    yes, please give details about the floor. Are the 36" pieces? Mbrown

24. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    Excellent, thank you Daryl! I've had a plan I've been working on for a while where the garage is attached to the house (and about 700mm lower floor level to get a good viewing angle) with electro glass wall between the living room, study and garage so the cars can be displayed during dinner when required (would be always for me, I'd probably only turn the glass opaque if I had non-car people present!) but I've always struggled with a good door solution. I love your use of the doors as poster panels and agree that for special cars, non-auto doors are no problem. Thanks for posting and congratulations on a great solution!