Dream come true... | FerrariChat

Dream come true...

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by LAfun2, May 18, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    As most of you have probably been fed up with my nagging posts, you don't have to worry anymore. I am spending more time riding the Duc, then on the comp! :D

I took my first ride a few days ago, and just wanted to give my impression of the bike. I walked into my garage and lifted the cover of the bike. Wow, was she beautiful. It felt like taking the bra of a hot girl with your trembling hands at 15. :eek: I looked at her sensuous curves for about 6 minutes, just starting at her without even letting my eyes blink. I then proceeded to take my hands and gently run them around the tank, and then ran my hands all over the fairings. They were so smooth and gentle to the touch, with nary a scratch. It felt like a baby’s bottom at 2 days old.

Well I couldn’t take the bike out without some modifications, so I decided to take the rear turn signals and full fender off. I put the plate in the toolbox under the seat, and proceeded to take the bike of its front and rear stands, and went ahead and started the bike. The sound, it was truly orgasmic. Nothing like my Japanese bikes. The angry, vicious sound of the bike was reverberating against my garage walls, and sounded like a symphony performed by 12 angry men. I was in heaven. After 5 years of waiting, I could hear my own Ducati in my garage. A true dream come true. I had bought this Ducati without ever riding one or sitting on one, so this was going to be the devirginizing of my Duc experience!

After warming up the bike, and suiting up in my appropriate gear, I sat on the bike. Ahhh, the downfalls of being short! :( However, unlike my Japanese bikes where the seat height is about 32.1 inches, the Ducati is a bit lower, thus giving me a bit more than tippy toe stance. I would need to lower the bike to get a bit more solid feel. (I called 2 shops, one in Reseda quoted me 2 hour labor $160bucks, and Evoluzione quoted me 1 hour for $75). I then went to take it for a ride. I rode it rather slow the first 7-8 minutes, just getting a feel for the bike.

The bike on the road is very narrow, considering what I am used to riding. It feels like my knees are touching. I do now know what everybody means when they say the aggressive riding position. It rake angle of the rider is much more aggressive than the Japanese bikes, in my opinion. After put putting around for a while, I decided to take it on the freeway. I could hear the FBF Forza cans through my helmet, and the sound was like a glorious woman moaning, it was truly beautiful. I enjoyed the thump-thump of the bike at the lights, and I was grinning from ear to ear underneath my tinted visor. :) :)

On the freeway on ramp, I reved the bike up pretty high, and here I started seeing the bikes shortcomings. The bike, as told to me by many, didn’t have the thrust as the Japanese bikes. Since I cancelled my order on the 2004 R1 to purchase this bike, I did buy it knowing the shortcomings. However before I knew it, I was doing 90, and decided to slow it down. The bike is fun on the highway, and passing power is adequate, but straight line is not the bikes forte. I wasn’t going to let this setback ruin my dream experience, as I knew this before I bought it, and I am aware straight line speed isn’t everything.

I then decided to exit the freeway, and take a glimpse of the beautiful cobalt blue Pacific, and run the Lattigo canyon/Rockstore/mulholland run. This is where the bike truly started to shine. :cool: The narrow frame of the bike, allowed me to toss it in the turns and gave me confidence to go a bit deeper. It handled far superior to any Japanese bike I had ridden, and the torque was there for great exit speed. I didn’t push the bike too hard, as it was very new, and I didn’t want to eat it the first day. :)

I proceeded to land on PCH (pacific coast highway), and decided to stop for a quick view of the ocean. The sunlight bouncing of my yellow Ducati was a marvelous sight, against the background of clear ocean view and nary a cloud in the sky. Wow, what a feeling of accomplishment, in not only achieving the dream, but riding the bike as it was meant to be. I did feel my wrist hurting a little bit, and the dry clutch was taking a toll on my left hand. I didn’t feel it was so bad, that I need to change to aftermarket parts, as I am sure I will get used to it. I will also not be getting the bar risers, as I feel it wasn’t really that bad. I won’t be making 300 mile trips to SF like I do on my gixxers, so the bar risers wont’ be necessary.

It was a glorious day for riding (as all days are in So Cal), and my first Ducati experience was something to remember. I cruised home at a leisurely pace, and parked the bike in the garage. After it cooled down, I put her up on the stands and put the cover on. In the last few days, I have caught myself just going in the garage, lifting the cover, and taking a peek at her. She is so beautiful, I feel like a silly 5 year old with a new toy. :eek:

It was everything I have dreamt it would be, and I wanted to thank Sherpa and Ferrari pete especially on this board for helping me out and answering many of my questions and putting up with me. Thanks guys.

I don't have a digi cam, so no pics at this time. Will upload photos soon, or when I meet some of the Fchatters some time at CC.

:)

2. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    I must have missed something, what model did you buy? congrats regardless!

3. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    #3 LAfun2, May 18, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

In my excitement, I forgot to include it! It is a 748, yellow, mono. :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Man, you did GOOD! Good color, good seat choice....

What year? How many miles? does it have Druz fasteners? 3 or 5 spoke wheels? Ay mods? COME ON MAN! tell me about it!

5. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Lol I didn't want to just come in and announce it, thus I did a full write up once it was in my possession.

I bought it about 3 weeks ago. It was delivered to my house, while I was finishing up my finals 350 miles away. So I finally got to LA and got to ride it. It comes with mono and bi seats. It is originally a mono. It has the Dsuz fasteners, and it has the adjustable steering head angle. However it has the 3 spoke rims, which I will change shortly. It has FBF Forza pipes, and a chip, and everything else is stock. One owner, 2600 miles, all receipts, and maintenance. 99.

6. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Love the white tail, my fav color combo in this bike. You must have the stronger sub frame as I spy passenger pegs. nice because you could get the other tail as well.

edit: forgive the redundant comment, we posted at the same time.

7. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Yes it comes with the reinforced subframe. I got the yellow, because as Jeffrey (So Cal F chat member) inspired me ;) That is my fav color, as everyone has red. Passenger pegs and biposto were added, but I took them off already, as I forsee no passengers on this. The other tail was included in the purchase as was the original bill of sale, and tons of other stuff.

It also has uninstalled CF chain guards, heel guards, exahust heat sheild, and bunch of other stuff he gave me, that I will install as I find more time.

I was always a fan of the solid yellow, and I didn't like the white tail, but now I like the white tail more, so I am keeping it like that. :)

8. lotustt

lotustt Formula 3

Aug 28, 2002
    Full Name:
    TRM

NIce bike! Enjoy It. I thought by a lot of your posts though that you were a starving student or something? Was that just a cover, what other toys do you have?

9. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

LOL cover? I am a student, but I don't think I wrote anywhere that I am starving. I am extremely cheap and careful about money. I have grown up in immense poverty in a third world country, but last 3-4 years my financial situation has been good. I am on scholarship at school, so they provide food/living/tuition/book money. Hmm not sure what you mean by a cover. If you think I misled you, I apologize, but my life is a rather open book,and if you search my posts and read them, you will find exactly how I am where I am today.

Thanks for the kind words. :)

10. lotustt

lotustt Formula 3

Aug 28, 2002
    Full Name:
    TRM
    Not misled, just wondering if there was something i missed. Good for you though glad things are working out in your favor!

11. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat

You might as well go ahead and put that biposto on since you will have the attention of all the co-eds..

12. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Lol. :D

Next thread will be my F355 that gets me laid, see here, http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18071 and then I will post the Silver Seraph sedan I am hiding from everybody. LOL.

You didn't miss anything. If I won the lottery, I would post here. However, I would have to buy a ticket first. :) I see where you are coming from. I think people reading my initial story have a different view of who I am today. I am not rich by any means and certainly can't measure up to the wealth of even any member of this board, but I tend to be smart with what little I have.

I have been talking about the Duc for about 6 months here in many threads, and have been saved for it for 4 years 333 days, so I guess it wasn't that much of a surprise for me to finally achieve it. :)

Thank you.

13. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Congrats! Glad to hear you are having fun with it. Extra congrats for achieving your goal. :)

14. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Awesome!! I am glad that you are able to enjoy it, with the nice roads and canyons, etc. Great colour, great everything. Enjoy it.

15. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Many miles of joy, and please be safe!

16. thadbrown

thadbrown Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    geez....it took you enough posts to get it. enjoy it.
    thad

17. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Jerry,

Thank you for the kind words. I know I know, it probably wasn't the smartest financial move, but we talked about it, I just had to have it. Its my only vice. :) I will swing by your house with it this summer after you get to test drive the Mini to your liking. :)

Ryan,

Thanks again for all the help. I certainly couldn't have pulled it off without your knowledge and kindness and generosity with your time throughout the process. Thanks for putting up with the Sunday conversations and last minute tid bits, and the abuse of your PM box. :) I certainly will enjoy it, and will be asking for your help once I am ready for the 998. Good luck on your sale, and the new dealership looks kick ass! :)

Omar,

Thank you. It certainly is no 750iL, but will get the job for now. ;) Will try to ride carefully, and look out for the other idiots on the road. Gracias Amigo. :)

Thad,

LOL, I am an overly cautious person. I almost bought one a few years ago at Ducati of Seattle and then backed out. I then almost bought on over at Berts in CA, and then got cold feet. So I figure I had to finally do it, otherwise you guys would kill me on stupid Ducati posts over and over again. :) :D

18. RyanZX6R

RyanZX6R Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Riverside County
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Nice purchase. You did well. I would love to have a 998 myself, someday. Now get out and ride every chance you get.

19. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Well, life is too short to just worry about dollars and cents. Heck, look at me! I have no business having 2 f-cars in the garage....

20. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    :eek: :D Good thing you are not my accountant! If you were, I would have tons more toys with advice like that!!!! :D

LOL, LMAO!

You are not someone I can model myself after (toywise), since you are a baller and I certainly am not. :) ;)

21. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    That "was" exactly my bike. I had the Termignoni C/F cans and FbF chip.
    I want another one (the old style). Beautiful bike.

Reliable.

A real nut crusher.

Enjoy

22. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

enjoy it!! it looks great and you will not tire of the handling either!!

drag an elbow my friend!

pcb

23. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    Stunning bike! Congrats Ryan! Enjoy the hell out of it, you deserve it.

24. sjb509

sjb509 Guest

Congrats on the 748. Enjoy it. If you do some searching online, you'll see that there is a huge amount of aftermarket parts for that bike when you're ready. Really trick stuff like magnesium cases and CF clutch covers.

The speed is rather deceptive as it does not really have the top end rush of a I-4, and the engine never sounds like it is working very hard, then you look down and are doing 110.

FBF pipes are what is on my 851, you can hear them for miles (low frequency travels far). Try setting off some car alarms just with the exhaust.

25. Ducman491

Ducman491 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2004
    Mentor OH
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Congrats my friend, I have a 99 748 as well. Mine is a red biposto with carbon fiber upper and lowers. I will have to get some pics up soon. I am up against my 6k service now so we'll see how that goes. Get to a track school, there is nothing like it. I did one at the end of April and it was one of the great motorsport experiences of my life. Welcome to the club.