Downpipes with Hi-Flow Cats for the FF? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Downpipes with Hi-Flow Cats for the FF?

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by boostorbust, Oct 29, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FFMAC

FFMAC Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mac
    Not sure what you mean. The Capristo system is louder than the standard exhaust all of the time. However, adding the x-pipe reduces the volume, especially at low revs, with the valves closed. That is something I can attest to, regardless of what Vivid has suggested! I have tried both combinations within a day of each other on my current FF.

Another option to look into would be the Novitec system. Noblesse Oblige has one on his FF and posted that with the valves closed, it doesn't sound any different than the standard exhaust. It's only when you open the valves that it 'comes alive'. Maybe he'll chime in?

2. boostorbust

boostorbust Karting

Jan 27, 2013
    I know Novitec is big $$'s, but to me it's the purest sounding system on the market. At least from video's posted on YouTube

My exhaust desires is to be comfortable with the valves closed on the highway (no drone) but I want all the Ferrari V12 wail to break out with the valves open. (loud!)

3. FFMAC

FFMAC Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mac
    Capristo plus x-pipe will give you the desired effect. No drone at highway speeds and not too loud for long journeys. Videos just don't convey accurately what these systems really sound like in everyday use.

4. MaseratiCorse

MaseratiCorse Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2014
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    If I had an F12, the following configuration would be installed on the car:

- Novitec Rosso ECU tune
    - Novitec Rosso sports cats
    - Capristo X-pipe
    - Capristo valved mufflers with remote
    - Novitec chrome exhaust tips
    - BMC air filters

5. F12KID

F12KID F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 27, 2013
    what is the diff between NR x-pipe and cap x-pipe?

What does the BMC air filter do? pros and cons??

thanks

6. F12KID

F12KID F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 27, 2013
    Sorry, i disagree, i have compared both side-by-side (one was mine), the NR is almost "smoother"....where as cap's a bit more sensational/emotional; more "crackle" when you let off the accelerator....put it simply it's such a small difference in sound (quality identical) that it certainly is not enough to justify paying almost twice the price. neither car had the x-pipe

from personal experience, dealing with capristo (as a company) is better than the others...i'm not going to make an issue of it on an open forum, but i had a TERRIBLE experience with a VERY well-known supplier of aftermarket parts for my F12

7. MaseratiCorse

MaseratiCorse Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2014
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    Capristo X-pipe: probably a bit cheaper than the NR and the same sound
    BMC air filter: some more depth and induction noise I would think.

8. F12KID

F12KID F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 27, 2013
    do we know what, if any, downside to having the x-pipe?

9. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    You tried both stock and Capristo with X, within a day of each other?

You're saying the Capristo or NR with the valves closed is not louder at idle and cruising speeds (2000 rpm)?

10. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    X pipe ONLY?

Or X pipe with exhaust?

thanks !

11. LV Eric

LV Eric Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2006
    LA & LV
    Full Name:
    eric
    I'm so confused, I never claimed to be the sharpest knife in the drawer. Right not I'm not sure I'm even in the drawer.

12. LV Eric

LV Eric Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2006
    LA & LV
    Full Name:
    eric

I will pm you when I have a solid date, if anyone else is in the area please let me know.

13. AutobahnAndTrack

AutobahnAndTrack Formula Junior

Dec 31, 2014
    Frankfurt, Germany
    Full Name:
    Stefan G
    Lets have some Ferrari V12s blasting along the Autobahn ;)

14. FFMAC

FFMAC Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mac
    I tried Capristo with and without x-pipe within a day of each other.

Capristo with valves closed is still always louder than standard Ferrari exhaust, but at idle and cruising speed, is not so loud to be a nuisance.

15. FFMAC

FFMAC Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mac
    X-pipe with exhaust!

16. mr_tony

mr_tony Karting

Jan 5, 2010
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Richard
    I'm seriously considering either Novitech or Capristo for my car, but am a little worried that the additional noise day to say will be s pain when I've got my kids in the car. We do log journeys in the FF often overnight so they're asleep in the back. If it's grumbling away and they don't sleep it will have been a bad move.

From the discussion so far it seems that the NR is quieter with valves closed / low revs and both are rather enjoyable at high revs. Plus a x pipe is a must so that you remove unwanted resonance / booming at low revs...

The NR is a lot more expensive but if it means the difference between sleeping children and awake tired kids saying 'are we there yet' every 2 minutes then the extra cost could be worth it...

Any thoughts from anyone who's got the NR?

17. F12KID

F12KID F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 27, 2013
    NR quieter than Capristo with flaps closed

18. mr_tony

mr_tony Karting

Jan 5, 2010
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Thanks - good to know.

19. FFMAC

FFMAC Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mac
    #44 FFMAC, Nov 4, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
    Richard, I'm hoping to be able to make the UK meet. If you're planning on going too, you're more than welcome to take my FF out for a blast to hear for yourself. Worth waiting until then before making a decision, assuming you're going? Mac.

20. mr_tony

mr_tony Karting

Jan 5, 2010
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Richard
    I'll be there :) no need for me to drive it (but appreciate such a generous offer!), but a hearing it start up and idle should tell me all I need to know!

21. FFMAC

FFMAC Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mac
    I'm not sure that it will. Start up is quite loud and gives a sharp bark. Idle isn't too much louder than standard exhaust. It's when you start accelerating thought the gears that it comes into its own! Cruising is very civilised up to 80 mph. Look forward to meeting you.

22. F12KID

F12KID F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 27, 2013
    Richard, will you please let me knnow your thoughts on the sound of the FF when you hesr it topmorrow with Manu/Jack @ Scud systems. thanks a lot

23. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Which system?

24. FFMAC

FFMAC Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mac
    Capristo

25. mr_tony

mr_tony Karting

Jan 5, 2010
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Richard
    As promised :)

Guys - I went and did an A/B comparison of Capristo with my standard exhaust at Scuderia Systems in Egham this morning. I've known Manu there for more than 10 years (he did me a a great deal on a Tubi on my 3200GT at the time) and Jack has been super helpful in setting up the opportunity to hear the Capristo.

Firstly - Apologies for not posting video, it was raining hard so standing around getting soaked and knackering my iPhone wasn't an option. Maybe they'll be another time, but in reality the sound quality from a phone just cannot get across what these exhausts are like..

So cut to the chase - The Capristo is no louder with the valves shut than the standard exhaust. No boom, no rattle etc. The only difference is a slightly more excitable start up sound, that settles down to a quieter than standard idle in around 10 seconds or so. The one I listened to had the X pipe. I understand you can even have it tuned to be quieter (or louder) than the standard at idle with valves closed if you wish - I think thats potentially going too far, but it may be practical for some folks...

With the valves open it's like a different car - the standard FF is a great sound but this is much superior, and has the higher pitch frequencies that the standard exhaust doesn't let through sing through loud and clear. Sounds like a proper F1 car should! Having passengered at highway speed with valves open and closed it is the best of both worlds - refined with valves shut, and with them open, through a tunnel its awesome. But even with them open cruising at 3k revs is quite comfortable and the sound though noticeable is not intrusive or boomy.

Thanks to Jack at Scuderia for inviting me down and going the extra mile. in the meantime I'll be sorting a new set of rear pipes for my 70s 911. Might need valves in that one too...

With no warranty issues to worry about, and Scuderia having a well known Ferrari agent do the fitting I can't see any downsides here, and I have to admit I was a bit sceptical before. Particularly having a young family, and being paranoid about fitting something that would mean my kids couldn't sleep in the car. Exhaust tech has clearly come a long way, and having control like this over the valve positions really makes sense.

Sure the Novitech is great, but the flexibility of being able to control the Capristo independently of the matinetto has me sold now..