Downpipes with Hi-Flow Cats for the FF? | FerrariChat

Downpipes with Hi-Flow Cats for the FF?

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by boostorbust, Oct 29, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. boostorbust

boostorbust Karting

Jan 27, 2013
    I have seen them for the F12 as part of aftermarket performance exauust systems but all the FF versions I have found are a X-PIpe and rear mufflers. Why?

2. Liquid Assets

Liquid Assets Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2009
    Cloud 9
    Downpipes are for turbocharged cars. You mean headers? Not many aftermarket headers out there for Ferrari and Lamborghini as its very hard to improve on what the factory did. What you will usually see is the mid pipe and catback to allow more flow which doesn't have to meet emission standards like the factory does.

I prefer Kreissieg and Fi for exhausts. For the FF I have the Fi X pipe and Valvetronic catback ordered.

3. F12KID

F12KID F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 27, 2013
    #3 F12KID, Oct 30, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2015
    Novitec make both a sport cat (100 cell) which comes as part of a down-pipe (header) and cat combo and NO cat downpipe. After that bit you can add the x-pipe (i did not as i still don't see the upside of why one should), followed by the rear silencer/box of your choice (i prefer capristo as the ridiculous price one pays for the NR boxes is not even near worth it). this is the setup i have on my F12 and one can do the same on an FF. do note that the sounds is significantly louder in all regards, especially with the flaps open

4. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    The X pipe is a more open pipe than stock which is supposedly a bit better low torque without more volume.

I don't want a louder car at highway speeds so I'm leaning that way myself, although more info would be helpful as to the real effect.

I do like the sounds of the Fi just afraid it's going to resonate and be louder on the road.

5. F12KID

F12KID F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 27, 2013
    it's very tollerable up to 150-160kph on the motorway, once you get in the higher rev ranges - flaps open- party begins....my wife has ridden in my F12 twice since i did the cats+ecu uprgade and swears that she won't ever again....

Fi sound really good, but i have an issue with putting anything lesser than European hand-crafted aftermarket product/s on these beautiful Italian beasts ;-)

6. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I'm talking 60-100 mph. I don't want louder at normal hwy speeds.

Fi is certainly better made than stock, have you seen the stock parts? lol

7. F12KID

F12KID F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 27, 2013
    can't say i ever saw stock rear boxes on my F12 because having had previous f-cars, i made sure to take delivery of my F12 with the capristo already on it :)

i want to change the boxes on my FF however capritos will be too loud, althought NR is slightly quieter (especially at idle), i refuse to pay their prices or go through another experience as i had with my sport cat order on my F12

8. FFMAC

FFMAC Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mac
    The Capristo system on the FF is actually louder without the x-pipe. It also sounds completely different. Cruising up to 80 mph is very civilised with the valves closed. Only marginally louder than the standard exhaust.

9. F12KID

F12KID F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 27, 2013
    I can live another year with it stock before trading it for the FF updated version

10. Liquid Assets

Liquid Assets Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2009
    Cloud 9
    Do you know anything concrete about the upcoming FF? Any info on it that offers something different from the current model? I would love to upgrade my 12' but my dealer doesn't have anything to tell me.

11. LV Eric

LV Eric Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2006
    LA & LV
    Full Name:
    eric
    I spoke with my friend I'm Munich a couple hours ago, he has a f12. He is getting a new one again and was speaking to the dealer about "what's next?" , same story as America speculation that everything is headed towards turbo cars. Not rock solid just speculation.

On a side note they gave him a 488 for 3 days, he said it's fast, but ain't fast as f12. H has owned Ferrari for 30 years and is pretty dialed in. I respect his opinions.

I hope turbo card are not the future but I think they are coming, F1 switched over, emissions bull**** is the primary cause and margins a close 2nd-my guess.

I might be in Munchen in 2-3 weeks.,

12. AutobahnAndTrack

AutobahnAndTrack Formula Junior

Dec 31, 2014
    Frankfurt, Germany
    Full Name:
    Stefan G
    Eric, would love to meet you guys.
    I am a couple of F12-hours away from Munich.

13. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Stock mufflers and pipes are not high quality, or particularly Italian. Looks like any other stock exhaust.

The Fi sounds great to me in the one video I can find, Impossible to tell how it would be different however, from just the vid with no A/B.

Interesting that the X pipe makes it more quiet.

Sounds different meaning? Deeper tone at low revs, and higher pitch at high revs?

14. FFMAC

FFMAC Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mac
    Yes, deeper sound and more drone without the x-pipe, akin more to a V8 sound than a V12, oddly enough. X-pipe just accentuates what's already there to give you more of that addictive V12 wail :)

15. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    That's good to know. I'm leaning toward X pipe ONLY for now.

Wait ... confused ... it's a lower/deeper tone stock than with the X pipe?

16. FFMAC

FFMAC Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mac
    Certainly worth a try, but I'm guessing you'll hardly notice any difference, if at all.

17. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    #17 Brian L, Oct 30, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2015
    So stock it's more V8/V12 ish, and with your complete set up more V12?

Yet not more drone, or a lot louder.

18. FFMAC

FFMAC Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mac
    Complete setup with x-pipe definitely has less drone and is slightly quieter than without. I never drive with the valves open as I find it too loud for everyday driving, but find the system with the valves closed perfect for me and could never go back. When the system was new and first installed it seemed to drone more than after a few hundred miles after it had bedded in.

19. F12KID

F12KID F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 27, 2013
    DRONE : This is the unfortunate issue i have! so what you all are saying is that if i add the x-pipe to my setup (NR Sport cats / NR ECU upgrade / Capristo rear boxes) it will reduce the drone??? It is unbearable if the flaps are open and at idle, for example trying to parallel park.....

i had avoided the x-pipe as on another thread i was told that the x-pipe reduces low-end and since the sport cats reduce back pressure, i thought the combination of the 2 would have adverse effect on low-end

20. FFMAC

FFMAC Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mac
    Can't comment on what effect Cats & ECU have on the system as I only changed the pipes, but the addition of the x-pipe definitely reduced drone at low revs on my set up. It is exacerbated with the valves open however. I would definitely try the x-pipe, I think you'd be pleasantly surprised, especially given the small additional cost.

21. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Capristo sound vs. Fi Exhaust ... X pipe + Exhaust ... thoughts?

22. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Just spoke with James at Vivid. Fi is loudest, all around. Capristo is deeper at low revs and higher pitched at higher revs and "louder in volume always"

FFMAC you're saying it's not as loud? He says it's always louder. Hmm.

Maybe the deeper tone mitigates the sound level bump?

I don't want louder at low revs, I want a better tone low and then at high revs it can scream a bit, which he said it does. Not looking to be obnoxious, or hear it too much in modest driving and around the house.

23. F12KID

F12KID F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 27, 2013
    At this point i have nothing to lose, so I iwll try it

24. F12KID

F12KID F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 27, 2013
    Capristo all the way, unitl i got my F12, i was pure Tubi Style however they are no longer what they used to be (especially for late model cars) I would never compare a taiwanese made product to that of one made in europe. also worht noting that capristo will make a box quieter for you without any extra charge

25. FFMAC

FFMAC Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mac
    Will be interesting to know the results. Good luck!