Don't take this as anti-Corvette but... | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Don't take this as anti-Corvette but...

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by bitzman, Sep 12, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    John M has indirectly confirmed its really coming this time. I dont think anyone here can trump his insider knowledge

2. anunakki

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    As a former 928 owner I can concur. Amazing car but not the best quality

3. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    I can...BECAUSE I AM ON THE INTERNET!!!!!!!

Mark

4. Phil~

Phil~ F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2013
    Potomac, Maryland
    There is tons of smoke billowing about for this just to be a rumour.

5. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Another tid bit most people don't think of is that a slower chassis can have lower laptime in less experienced hands. A mid-engine is so responsive that I can't drive to the limit of the chassis like i can with a wider operational range of a front engine layout. The mid engine is no question a faster chassis but not for me and I'm a SCCA national clubracer in fact leaving for championship Runoffs tomorrow. I was instantly faster in the vette when compared to the 348-360 Ferraris. The 360 was quit a disaster being more of a semi-aero chassis. In fact a bunch of early 360 challenge cars wrecked before the drivers figured them out. The learning curve was expensive. The vette is like a barbell and is slower to change directions. It gives mere mortals a chance to catch up with confidence. Not knowing when the 360 chassis will suddenly break away makes you slow and timid.

6. opencollector

opencollector Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2005
    CA Central Coast
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    #56 opencollector, Sep 19, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    They sell all sorts of things at Costco.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    For someone who grew up in the '60s, the engine has to go in the front. Having the engine behind me messes with my "P's" and "Q's"

8. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Now I need 12 blenders!

9. JBsZ06

JBsZ06 Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    Of course ferraris and lamborghinis are orbs of Art.

Porsche are marvelously engineered...

That said I'm on my third new corvette.

This one I have put 101k miles and all I did was put gas in, change the oil and tires...

I think I put new shocks, brakes and spark plugs and wires in at 50k miles just because I Didn't want to wait for the 100k mile service...

And if I told you what that maintaince cost me you d cry because it was peanut..

This car pulls 1.0 lateral cornering g s....accelerates to sixty in four seconds flat and has a top speed of 190 mph..

Laugh all you want at corvettes but this sports car can take anything you throw at it and enjoy it ....and ask for more...

People who are not car snobs think it's dam sexy looking...

Yes the interiors are a little lacking but for very few dollars you can have a custom interior mods that transform the environment.

Let's not forget performance mods cost peanuts if you want to modify and improve any aspect of the vehicle..

Just the other side of the coin for you guys...

For a little insight....after decades of being a foreign car enthusiast I needed a sports car that didn't require my attention to keep running as designed. I have a severely handicapped kid and needed a car that just served me ...

10. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Actually gms brilliance was there. Sure a ferrari leather seat is voluptuous but weights +50lbs. The c5z seat is under 20lbs! That vinyl seat is performance!

11. JBsZ06

JBsZ06 Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    I had a DSV d shaped beautiful leather steering wheel installed. The other touch points like the console and arm rests can easily have nice leather done up..a nice short throw shifter and shift knob of your choice.

It's still not Ferrari beautiful craftsmanship etc but it can be easily made much nicer if you so choose.

The key factor is the utter reliability and low cost of supercar like performance in a machine that is dam sexy looking.

The targa roof offers a wonderful high performance vehicle dual capabilities...

Obviously if you want to spend Ferrari money you get Ferrari workmanship ...yet from a technical standpoint the performance and utter reliability not to mention the low cost of maintance and the time involved to keep the corvette running within specification is a real corvette attribute that is easy to admire.

12. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Most buyers go for paper spec laptimes from magazines, they never use the car tot he full anywhere. Its a fantasy purchase, you know my car is faster than yours because I read that.

Just like people love nurbering laptimes.

Now here you go injectin funtional reality into the discussion. Dont you know paddles are faster than a stick, so must be better.

13. anunakki

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Truth.

14. Dragster

Dragster Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    I was going to post the same thing.

15. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    +1

16. Dino V

Dino V Formula 3

Sep 21, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I had never bought an American car until recently. Decided I wanted to add some variety (American muscle) to my euro stable, so added a Corvette. For the money it's great performance and maintenance is so cheap (after being used to European car maintenance). Best of all it's so easy to daily drive and never paranoid about it, drive it everywhere and park it everywhere. I have a manual and highway mpg is actually great. In a nut shell, I never worry about it and get maximum enjoyment out of it.

17. GPM

GPM Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2015
    Vancouver BC
    at least American muscle still offers manual tranny,,,

18. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    I always laugh at the thought of speaking of Ferrari and Corvette in the same sentence. Corvette is and has always been a VOLUME produced sports car. As such, it's compromises are always based on it's price point. Ferrari does not have this issue, but it is unfair not to appreciate the amazing goodness of the C7, even if one disregards the price. It is a GREAT sports car. It is testament to the Corvette engineering staff, but obviously a very different bird than a Ferrari.

19. GPM

GPM Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2015
    Vancouver BC
    many say the C7 and F12 look similar, I wonder how long you'd get away putting F shields on the vette,,

20. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

I think the C7 looks better than the F12. Or imnagine it this way, if the F12 had come first looking like a C7 it would have been hailed as a masterpiece. The vette is significantly lighter too.

Now the ferrari has a nicer interior, and better/nicer engine, but then thats what you get for 250-300k more. Performance wise not much in it, maybe a z06 vette is faster round a track.

21. Dino V

Dino V Formula 3

Sep 21, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I can't imagine there is a single person in this world who would be cross shopping between a F12 or C7 (not even the Z06).

22. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    This.

23. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I was not saying peopel are cross shopping. All i ma saying is that objectively the C7 is better looking than the F12. Or had the F12 come out looking like a z07 C7 people would be all over what a masterpiece it is.

24. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    Actually I do. I have owned three Ferrari's and three Lamborghinis as well.

As an example If I own a Ferrari that is fairly new I would look at a 488 which is expensive and a C7 corvette which is a lot less $s. I may decide the 458 is good enough and buy the C7 Corvette or Hellcat. Which is what I did.

Buy what you want and enjoy even if it is less expensive :) works for me

Lamborghini must know this as well my 2013 Adventador is 700hp. When the hellcat came out with 707hp they bumped uo their 12 cylinder flagship to 720.

Best

Lee

25. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Lee you are the true car guy who loves all cars, and so objectively rates them. I am not refering to cost or even performance, meerly styling on which I think the C7 has it over the F12.