Don't drive in groups or ...........Illegal impound. 17 VEHICLES WRONGFULLY SEIZED IN | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Don't drive in groups or ...........Illegal impound. 17 VEHICLES WRONGFULLY SEIZED IN

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by who, Jun 7, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BryanArg

BryanArg Rookie

Jun 18, 2016
    Collin, the one in the mustang, pulled over immediately and DID NOT leave the scene. Him and 2 other cars near the front pulled over and actually called the cops. The police report that was apparently never filed, he actually has a picture of it.

Him, and the few witnesses did not leave until after the police came and made their report.

2. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    So the mustang driver has a picture of the police report? That is not going to bode well for the DA and police.

I will say that every time I do a group ride, there is someone, somewhere who breaks some traffic law. Not much different from every day driving. Thats how it works and why I choose my drives carefully. But this has got to be the most egregious example of overreach I have ever seen. LE overstepped their bounds, The DA went on a leap of faith with the judge and LE is covering its tracks.

If they want to charge individual drivers do it.

3. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    This will be a chess game with the OPD and courts.

Having evidence of the police report doesn't absolve them of incriminating things that could be on that GoPro footage.

The judge probably issued the warrant based on reckless driving and endangerment by an organized and uninsured rally. The impound was simply a means to an end to conduct a thorough search of the vehicles and illegal mods.

I don't think this is about the bicyclist at all and that's what has me worried as time goes on.

4. Jaguar 15

Jaguar 15 Formula 3

Mar 27, 2013
    Hunt. Bch/Palm Dsrt/Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jim Crawford
    #129 Jaguar 15, Jun 23, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2016
    They are in fact being seen in criminal court as individuals, case type listed as "criminal" but it is a "Motion to Return Property" hearing. My gut says not all is being told. If I had to guess, many had smog removed (????), non-CARB straight pipes, maybe with chip equipped cars....all which can get you in deep s#@t in Kalifornia. Tampering with smog can be considered a felony, they can seize your whip and can mail you the storage bill. Somebody did something to piss Orange PD off is my guess and nobody is talking. We aren't getting the whole story.
    An example is....Bryan, you never mentioned you had a hearing scheduled for Jun17th in C5, 5 days ago. Did you appear and what was the result. With the case number M-16686, you can access the court reporter transcript so why not just spit it out.....

I'm sorry for you going through this but....they are playing hardball for keeps. It's their job. They all want to be the next Tony Rackauckas. You better get your **** together, rehearse everything in your mind, rehearse what you think the prosecutor will bring up, have a rebuttal, wear a suit and go in to kick ass. If not, you will regret it later.....

5. BryanArg

BryanArg Rookie

Jun 18, 2016
    The hearing last week was the original one, but they put them all together and said they would have 1 big hearing for everyone, since 3 total motions were filed. They ended up pushing us to this week.

Everyone, including all lawyers will be present this friday. We are not allowed to testify at the hearing, so only counsel will be speaking.

6. Jaguar 15

Jaguar 15 Formula 3

Mar 27, 2013
    Full Name:
    Jim Crawford
    Ok....$64 question: Was your car tampered with...i.e....Non-CARB sticker pipes, cat, pre-cat, straight pipes?

7. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    Well, even if tampered with, there is claim 'others' [including some LEOs?, a son of a impound owner and the owner] driving these illegal examples on the road.

way too much stuff going on here.

8. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    I like visiting California. But Id never live there and register a car there!

My only problem with people who drive in groups is when they break traffic laws to stay in their groupings. Perfect example, the other day I was at a four way stop. To my right was a group of Harley's. The two at the stop had the right of way, so I let them go. As soon as they cleared my path I started to go. The two old ladies behind the group I let go started to move and slammed on their brakes. I stopped short of the middle of the intersection. The old bags shook their heads and gave me the finger! Like I was in the wrong. No idiots four bikes in a row don't make one bike with the right away. That's the only thing I hate about groups, when they believe their group makes them above the law.

9. Newport

Newport Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2006
    Well... I have got to say, I probably wont drive with a group again. Too much paperwork.

10. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    I guess we'll wait and see what happens, but this is horrifying. As an attorney, I am disgusted by this. We may not yet know the real reason behind the seizures, but I don't buy the "testing" argument one bit. Call me a cynic.

The police are not above pettiness. I see it often.

CW

11. MalibuMafiaV

MalibuMafiaV Karting

Apr 30, 2012
    Malibu, CA
    I wouldn't say you won't go on a drive again.

Fact of the matter is this one was poorly organized and that's the issue with a lot of them. Waivers must be signed to protect all other drivers around you. And a lot of these people do not use liability insurance either. Just sayin.

12. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    ^ cannot connect unless a cox net account

13. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
  14. Drestless

Drestless Formula 3

Oct 1, 2014
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Jam
    Somebody's greediness to sue the car owners for monetary settlement (eventually)due to false severe injury led to a lot of people's life and careers destroyed. Sorry this really upsets me.

I've seen this before in many accidents here in US. Collision happen, both drivers talk with no injuries and then weeks later insurance calls stating that the other party reported hospital bills and severe injuries.

Here you go, justice system in your face! Anybody can sue and everybody is guilty until proven innocent. Quite reversed you think?

15. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA

You need to read the link below if not already.

as said, there is more to the story from a journalist's presentation and not entirely one sided.

I see nothing more to comment on as this is a civil or criminal charge and may actually include both: will be interesting to see who's lawyer is able to present the better arguments.

Unfortunately for Bryan, I would take this even more seriously and start to research for the correct lawyer....

matter of fact, just to clear the air, ya'll might pony up and hire a PI to look into the biker's background [Tustin lawyer ;) ] there are many Sauls out there

16. Newport

Newport Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2006
    They hit an attorney....ooops..

17. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    An attorney who appears to have a police force at his beck and call.

Sounds like the "testing" was trying to replicate some of what was seen in the GoPro footage seized from the Lamborghini.

18. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
  19. BryanArg

BryanArg Rookie

Jun 18, 2016
    Regardless of what anyone thinks, damn near 6 months to conduct an "investigation" of such a small incident is absurd.

20. Jaguar 15

Jaguar 15 Formula 3

Mar 27, 2013
    Full Name:
    Jim Crawford
    There is no way cops seize 17 cars for a simple bike accident even with an injury unless you killed someone while driving on crack. That is a civil matter for insurance companies. Even then, you would have contributory negligence factored in.

Tomorrow the real story will come out. Personally, there is way, way more to the story than is being told here. I'll try asking again Bryan. Was your car tampered with...i.e....Non-CARB sticker pipes, cat, pre-cat, straight pipes? Simple question Bryan...YES or NO.
    If YES, then this is no "small incident". CARB and Calif. DMV take tampering with smog that seriously. , The first thing I did before I bought my Testarossa was check if it was California legal. My guess is many of the 17 cars were tampered with.

Tomorrow....big day. UK out of EU and Bryan's car.....

21. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    He cannot answer any of that here on the board, a public place. Law enforcement is the enemy of anyone involved. By the very liberal definitions, a K&N panel filter, even with a CARB sticker it begins to open the door to "modified" and anything not OEM is evil and opens the door.

22. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    K&N is going a bit far. More of a warranty problem than a competent filter. It would seem to meet or exceed OEM specs [although, I highly recommend against K&N for high performance exotics]

Agreed on the open board as this board is most certainly being perused by LE.

I expect, Bryan, is posting here to boost his public support and garner that sympathy.

23. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    This really sucks. I had the cops impound my car due to registration. I gave them my dealership plate, insurance, reg, etc. NOPE! Not good enough. Of course I tried to explain how my situation is different and the cop couldn't understand and took the car. I didn't fight, I know it's all about generating revenue. Don't forget these cops aren't that smart, hence they are traffic cops. Jealousy, envy and greed mixed with a small bit of power and you have a mushroom cloud. Granted not all cops are bad. Just remember there is no money in murder, rape, etc. But if you have a nice car, you most likely have additional funds and everybody wants some....At your cost