DONE DEAL: IRL/ChampCar Merge | Page 3 | FerrariChat

DONE DEAL: IRL/ChampCar Merge

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by RP, Feb 19, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ZUL8TR

ZUL8TR Formula 3

Feb 12, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    And some people probably think Rosie ODonnel is cute...

I promise, I DID take a double take when she walked by...Danica that is!!! LOL!

2. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    You are SO WRONG! <grin>

I'm on Worth Avenue right now and there's nothing here I'd enjoy more after working hard all day coaching 512 BB/LM, Lotus 22, Chevron B16 and Lola drivers at Moroso than a really quick woman that looks good is a drivers suit (or not)! <very big grin>

Face it. There are not a whole lot of guys that are quicker than her that have not reached that LEVEL of driving. What she got, she earned. I'd like to see you in an Atlantic car, then I could tear your a$$ to pieces with suggestions on how to go quicker. I don't think you realize the gulf that exists between the casual and the serious driver...

Divina Galica took a Tyrell 009 F1 out this afternoon and went twenty seconds quicker than Benny Caiola in his 333SP and destroyed everyone else on the track.

You sound pretty sexist. <grin> You need to see some of these women in action. They're pretty good and they're looks are just extra... <very, very big grin>

3. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    #53 Isobel, Feb 23, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Off topic but some of you will remember her.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. FerrariF1

FerrariF1 Formula Junior

Apr 29, 2005
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Chris
    +1 maybe it's worth watching it again

5. R2112

R2112 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2006
    TX
    Yikes! A little bitter aren't we?? What, did Danica beat your favorite driver or something??

6. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Divina Galica's name reminded me of Giovanna Amati, the last woman driver to 'compete' in F1 (1992). She failed to qualify the Brabham Judd in 3 attempts and was replaced by Damon Hill for the remainder of the season. In her defense, the future WDC was also unable to qualify the car.

7. yzee

yzee F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2005
    Bodegata
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I like her earrings.

8. Chicane

Chicane F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 17, 2007
    Funkytown
    Full Name:
    Dirk Diggler
    That split was the worst thing that could have happened to that sport. I always try to catch the IRL races when they come into town though.

9. yzee

yzee F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2005
    Bodegata
    Full Name:
    Michael
  10. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    Looks Tony George won this one. ChumpCar was doomed from day one.

And I agree with Lolaman about Danica. She IS faster than most of the men in this series and it is only a matter of time before she wins. If it were not for the media and public attention given to Danica Patrick, the IRL would have been in the same trouble as ChumpCar and we would probably have NO open wheeled racing in the USA at this time. Give her some credit. And she probably cleans up a whole lot better than any the males on this forum. Have you seen most of the super modesl without make-up?

My youngest daughter just turned 18, both girls and boys in her high school know who Danica Patrick is in a positive light. They have no idea who Tony Kanaan or Helio Castoneves is, and both of them live in south Florida. Danica helped the IRL and open wheeled racing in this country. The other women that have shown their faces in the last 5 years were basically useless.

11. ZUL8TR

ZUL8TR Formula 3

Feb 12, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    IRL meeting drawa all 9 Champ Car teams
    If initial interest holds, IndyCar Series could hit participation record for non-Indy 500

The IndyCar Series could reach record participation if a Monday meeting at Indianapolis Motor Speedway is an indication.

All nine of the Champ Car World Series teams were on hand for an introductory meeting with Indy Racing League officials.
    Those nine teams accounted for 16 car-and-driver combinations last season. If most join the IRL, the league record of 31 cars for a race other than the Indianapolis 500 could be approached.
    There were 31 at Las Vegas Motor Speedway in 1997.

"That's absolutely a good sign," said Brian Barnhart, the IRL's president of competition. "This was just an information meeting, but the interest is clearly high."

The IRL has 15 of its regulars scheduled to test at Homestead-Miami Speedway this week, and that does not include Dreyer & Reinbold Racing, which plans to field two cars. Also not yet on the list is Vision Racing's proposed third car, which is targeted for 2007 Pro Series champion Alex Lloyd. Plus, Tomas Scheckter and Sarah Fisher have part-time rides.

Three Champ Car teams -- Conquest Racing, Walker Racing and Newman/Haas/Lanigan Racing -- submitted paperwork Monday to receive cars from the IRL while others are expected to soon.

"Now we have to start working (because) obviously this is going to be very difficult," Walker Racing driver Will Power said.
    Barnhart is trying to ease the transition by partnering Champ Car teams with existing IRL teams for technical support for oval races. CCWS had no oval races last year.

Newman/Haas/Lanigan is paired with Rahal Letterman, which isn't necessarily good news for Graham Rahal, who drives for the Champ Car team. "Now I (will) get the boot to get out of (my dad's) shop," he said. The newcomers won't be privy to race strategy.

12. Senna3xWC

Senna3xWC F1 Rookie

Nov 30, 2006
    NYC
    While she is probably quicker than most participants on an internet chatroom composed primarily of armchair race fans, that is hardly the point.

What is the point is that she is NOT quicker than most of the other drivers in IRL. She has spent her entire career in top-level equipment and has done nothing with it. No race wins, nothing. Not in Formula Ford, not in Atlantics, and not in IndyCars. Nothing.

There are plenty of other drivers that could do much more with the opportunities she has been given but they will not get the chance because she is a marketer's wet dream. Sarah Fisher, for one, is a more accomplished driver but she has the face of a horse and hence she struggles for a ride whereas Danica waves her arse in front of a camera and suddenly she is taking the seat of a much mroe deserving driver. What does that tell your daughters aspiring to become race drivers?

Danica has yet to win an auto race AT ANY LEVEL her entire career. Even I, with my fat arse and far less talent than budget, have managed to eek out an ugly win once or twice. Danica has not won a race since her days in karting and yet she has a seat with AGR?!? If that doesn't tell you that there is something wrong in US open-wheel racing then I don't know what else will?

The fact is that a driver like Lewis Hamilton would be struggling for an opportunity in the US because a seat that should go to him is instead going to some tart in a bikini, who can't win an auto race even in junior levels, because she has funding and crossover appeal to the Oprah & "Dancing with the Stars" soccer-mom crowd. I don't want to see AJ Foyt in a speedo and I sure don't want to see some wannabe SI bikini model in a race car.

Danica has set back womens opportunities in racing by a good 10 years.

13. Senna3xWC

Senna3xWC F1 Rookie

Nov 30, 2006
    NYC
    Yeah, but you also think that Massa is a future WDC. :rolleyes:

:p

Nonsense. Sarah Fisher has two podiums and a pole position to her credit in far worse equipment than Danica.

14. Formula 1

Formula 1 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2005
    Now all we need is for FERRARI to take interest and all shall be complete......YOU HEAR THAT FERRARI LEAVE BERNIE AND COMPANY!!! If not then let MASERATI or ALFA ROMEO RACE :D

15. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Exactly.

16. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians

1) Drive by the seat of your pants?
    2) It is better to look good than to win ugly?
    3) Men control racing ?
    4) After Ted has driven your car, be prepared to have a cushion handy?

17. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

I must agree with Ron on this. Danica can drive laps around everyone in this thread, myself excluded, of course.

18. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def

And I am still right and you are still wrong.

Danica has out qualified and out pointed (is that a word) MOST of the males in the IRL every season. She was 7th of 36+ drivers in the 2007 season, 16 of which were season regulars, including Buddy Rice, Scott Sharp, Marco Andretti to mention a few. Are you using some sort of foreign math? Or are you just using your personal prejudices and not bothering to use facts?

Doesn't work for me.

The stats speak for themselves, for both Danica and Phil.

Danica has opened doors for women in racing that never existed before. You have some serious sexist issues guy! :]

19. Senna3xWC

Senna3xWC F1 Rookie

Nov 30, 2006
    NYC
    By reinforcing the stereotype that looks matter more than talent?!?

And you call me sexist?? :confused:

20. Senna3xWC

Senna3xWC F1 Rookie

Nov 30, 2006
    NYC

The worst player in the NBA can shoot any of our lights out. That doesn't change the fact that he is still the worst player in the NBA.

Use the correct population for comparison, otherwise your point is meaningless.

21. Senna3xWC

Senna3xWC F1 Rookie

Nov 30, 2006
    NYC
    Still on the pain medication, eh brother? :p

22. yzee

yzee F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2005
    Bodegata
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #72 yzee, Feb 27, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Mid-Ohio qualifying. Dancing Man"s 1st. Danica's 2nd. 10 minutes to go. You can see how close I am. I can hear their strategy. Dario's going out with just enough fuel for an out lap, a hot lap, and an in lap. They did it as many times as they could and Dario could not touch the front row. Qualifying ends with Dancing Man 1st. Danica 2nd. The Indy 500 winner and 2007 IRL champ couldn't touch her that day.

Then Kannan took out Marco and Danica in the 1st turn and Dancing man went on to win. JaJa. AGR at their best?

Now Danica Mania is real and makes you want to puke a bit, and with her weight advantage gone for 2008 and the influx of talent because of the merge her past due date is closing fast. But she hasn't been driving around in the back.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. robert_c

robert_c F1 Rookie

May 12, 2005
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Robert C
    I wish her luck. My opinion is that she can qualify well, but can't finish the job. I hope she wins one.

24. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    Actually, stopped a month ago. Thinking clearly.

25. Senna3xWC

Senna3xWC F1 Rookie

Nov 30, 2006
    NYC
    Great news! Very glad to hear that.

As for thinking clearly...well... ;)