Don Aronow - Anybody know him? | FerrariChat

Don Aronow - Anybody know him?

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by mikesufka, Mar 22, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    I just starting reading "Blue Thunder" last night on Don Aronow, a legend in the fast boat world.

Just curious if anyone here had any interaction with him?

MDS

2. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    Never met him. But do know of him. Do know someone who did know him back in the day.

3. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Don't know him, but absolutely fascinating story. In many ways he reminds me of Mickey Thompson. Both were murdered by a "business partner", within a year of each other if memory serves.

4. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    Crazy he was behind Magnum, Formula, Cigarette, and Donzi. He was buddies with former President Bush, Sr., too.

5. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    The rumor. Aranow and Ben Kramer, not really partners. Aranow did sell a hull design that Kramer built Apache Powerboats around. The hull became the 41 Apache. Vice President Bush wanted to give the coast guard to have fast pursuit boats and turned to Don Aranow to build them. Aranow sold the new company to Ben Kramer. Kramer was a known marijuana smuggler. The government canceled the contract because they didn't want a drug dealer building their boats. Apparently, Kramer talked Aranow into taking back the company. Kramer paid X amount on paper. He also paid a huge sum under the table in cash. Aranow refunded the paper amount and kept the under table cash. He paid a heavy price "ripping" off a drug dealer. That's the theory anyway.

6. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    Yeah probably not a good idea. I've read he was a total hound too.

7. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    I've herd stories. A few offshore racers hang out on Offshore Only a few of them knew him and some even raced with him. When I had my Donzi, his son posted on the Donzi forum for awhile.

8. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    He sounded like a HUGE character.

9. norcal2

norcal2 F1 Veteran

10. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
  11. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando
    #11 Str8shooter, Mar 24, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    While I never met Don Aronow I did have a few friends that were into offshore powerboat racing and I spent a few years hanging out with them and photographing various races. They took me to Thunderboat Row one time and it was pretty amazing.

I grew up in south Florida in the 70s and 80s so I'm well aware of the drug smuggling that went on and the battle against it. I remember when the DEA got Blue Thunder and one day I got to see it in action just off the beach in southwest FL. I was on a high rise and had my camera as the DEA put on a display of their capabilities.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
  13. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Reading through it is wacky, but I'd suggest to most of the people that post there - Occam's razor! :D

14. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
  15. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Quite a read.

CW

16. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
  17. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    Forgot another guy who sometimes posts on various boat forums is Charlie McCarthy. His company: Charlie McCarthy's banana boat co -- Racing

Don Aranow didn't sell him the company, but did help him get started. McCarthy is mentioned in the Brock Yates cannonball book. McCarthy was good friends with Aranow and tells some great stories.