Does your wife let you have space for a "man cave" devoted to cars? | FerrariChat

Does your wife let you have space for a "man cave" devoted to cars?

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by bitzman, Jan 3, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    LIFE STYLE: Decorating the Man Cave

Now I'll admit, being an artist who supplies fine art for men's dens or "car room"(could even be the garage) I have a dog in this fight. But I feel any warm blooded car enthusiast deserves a small section of the household dedicated to the appreciation and enjoyment of his motorized love, whether it be two wheeled or four wheeled.
    This came to my attention when a customer invited me into his house in the Inland Empire section of SoCal. I expected with a 3 or 4 bedroom two story house, at least he'd have what we back East called a "den"(back there it was usually knotty pine). But all I saw in the room, which I'd say is 70 sq. ft. was two or three tall bookshelves between which, on the wall, were framed and matted photographs or art work, including three of my paintings but there were also non-car paintings there (paths through the woods?) And the bookshelf was one row of 15 books with a handful of car books alongside cook books (hey maybe he's a gourmet cook!) I was shocked--he didn't even put up a good fight for a shelf of only car books.
    Burn the house down, I say. No. I'm lobbying here for all husbands who pay half the house payment or more. If they are a car enthusiast they need some space devoted solely to their interest, where they can go and relax. They need a man cave with the following:

MAN CAVE INGREDIENTS

--room on the wall for three or four car posters, maybe one or two oil paintings of their favorite car (even if they won't ever be in that price range)
    --A glass door wall cabinet with several rows of carbooks, hardbound first choice, paperbacks second, and stacks of magazines say CAVALLINO and Forza for Ferraris
    --If the owner is a racer, a racing uniform including the helmet shoes and gloves .
    -Framed car emblems.
    -framed racing jacket from their old car club of 20 or more years ago, as freyed as it is
    -a row of CDs of car racing movies maybe not going back to The Big Wheel with Mickey Rooney, but at least the movies that made them more of an enthusiast.
    -Trophies or ribbons their car won at car shows
    --Model cars. I went to a home in Hidden Hills to deliver a Ferrari painting and was impressed with a room full of glass cases and 200 model cars but the owner just moved in so nothing was arranged yet. But I can see it will be wall to wall models. The one that impressed me most was a 250GTO that must have been 1/10th scale. You could imagine there's even air in the tires!
    -A reclining chair, leather with headrest, a full recliner so he or she can get their legs elevated, Maybe two chairs the second for another car enthusiast.
    -a Big Screen TV to show those old films.
    -A sound system of at least four speakers

And that's it? Why don't I have this myself? I am in an apt. No room. But I like to think my customers for custom ordered car portraits are going to have a nice space for car memorabilia, a "man cave" so to speak. so they can go there and relax. Why is it wives only want to cede less than 5% of the house for that?

WARNING : Show this piece to the wife at your own peril....

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Rosey and NürScud like this.
  2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    How old was the house? Our house is 110 years old and back then man caves, media rooms, even indoor bathrooms (!!) were not common. So, no car dedicated room for us...T

3. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    My car dedicated man cave is my garage. It’s a 3 car with TV, music, radiant heat in the floor, a small fridge and lots of car art and automobilia on the walls.

tomc likes this.
  4. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    furoni, Rosey, mikesufka and 8 others like this.
  5. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I have both, the car cave in the Garage where I have tons of Ferrari - racing and car related posters and "stuff" I have accumulated.... and then I have my office which has all the items you noted above - about 300 models, about 30 racing or car related pictures ( series of autographs including Enzo Ferrari and Ferry Porsche) and my virtual racing rig.... along with large 60 " TV but no recliner... Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Rosey, tickerhound and NürScud like this.
  6. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Rosey and BMW.SauberF1Team like this.
  7. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I have the entire finished basement...four rooms. My wife is VERY understanding!

Nembo1777 and tomc like this.
  8. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    When I had a warehouse it was nirvana. Now I’m pretty much relegated to the garage which is a work in progress. I’ve used the walls as a gallery for posters and photographs of all the events I’ve attended or participated in over the past 50 years.

Pending....floor refinishing, lift installation, outdoor shed construction to move the non-car stuff out of the garage.

My book collection and the valuable posters are in the library, not the garage.

Texas Forever likes this.
  9. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    One doesn't deserve a "man cave" if one needs his wife's approval to have a MAN cave. :)

10. 458 Spider 0414

458 Spider 0414 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 7, 2017
    MIAMI, FLORIDA
    Full Name:
    RAY
  11. 458 Spider 0414

458 Spider 0414 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 7, 2017
    MIAMI, FLORIDA
    Full Name:
    RAY
  12. mr308gtb

mr308gtb Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2004
    Full Name:
    MeestahBig
    WJC, 458 Spider 0414, Rosey and 6 others like this.
  13. GTHill

GTHill F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2006
    Double Wide
    Full Name:
    GT Hill
    I think you are the closest FChatter I've seen in a while! You should fly over here to Central Arkansas and stay the night in the missile silo. It's quite the man cave. :)

EastMemphis likes this.
  14. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
  15. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    tomc likes this.
  16. mr308gtb

mr308gtb Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2004
    Full Name:
    MeestahBig
    458 Spider 0414, Rosey and tomc like this.
  17. mr308gtb

mr308gtb Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2004
    Full Name:
    MeestahBig
    #18 mr308gtb, Jan 5, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
    Virtual racing seats are allowed!!! F1 seat and standard seat for my son, which is much easier to adjust. I was using VR, but in process of switching to a screen. The vr makes me so nautious.

SCantera and alex like this.
  18. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    And I did the hard work. My girl made the fixture but I had to empty those bottles!

19. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Bull ****ing ****!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

20. savannah

savannah Rookie

Jun 27, 2020
    Full Name:
    Everett DeHut
    Beautiful! A real refuge.

GTHill likes this.
  21. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    My dream was to build a large humidor to hang out in..All Cedar!
    Stogies, Music and Cars...dream achieved!
    My wife got her Kitchen.

22. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
  23. mr308gtb

mr308gtb Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2004
    Full Name: