Does this fuse board look ok? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Does this fuse board look ok?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Vee1234, Jul 15, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Subito Grigio

Subito Grigio Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2009
    He’s talking about bid range. SG

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

2. Vee1234

Vee1234 Rookie

Jul 15, 2020
    Cheers. I think they have a reserve of c£20k for the car.

3. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Sorry to hear the visit was disappointing. Did you drive it? I guess with all this mods it is difficult to oversee the costs what it would take to bring it to certain extend to the original. Wiring is most concerning.., but hey if you can take it with you for 15K you can do an lot with the money you save, assuming it runs and is shifting good.

High RPM can also be they auxiliary valve under the header tank. Easy to test by pinching one of the auxiliary so no air can go through and if RPM goes down you have found the culprit. Didn't it come down from the start (cold engine)? if so it can indeed be the throttle cable/gas peddle. They are known to stick sometimes. Vacuum issues are common too.

I have no invoices from that the last 3 years other then a few euros on new fuel hoses. (Pictures I do have of the maintenance in progress).

Not sure if you want specifically a 3.2, but I do know another grigio QV with tan interior in the UK from a F friend. Most Mondials in the UK are red :)

4. Subito Grigio

Subito Grigio Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2009
    I’ve owned my Mondial for 18 years. It was in rough shape.

The question to consider before the auction is - what kind of owner will you be if you buy it?

If you normally buy things and slowly fix problems yourself one at the time - the drivability will limp along as “next” problem appears. Garage Queen car. Happens often.

If you have a limited budget for the car - the drivability will limp along. Happens often. Garage Queen car.

If you are the type of person who wants things fixed immediately and properly so you can drive the car without worry - that probably costs at least $15,000 (US) if you are also lucky. (Plan on $25,000 because of probable “second wave” of problems.)

If you are the type of person who will try to use the car daily and “force” it to perform without getting the work done - it will be dangerous and will further ruin the car.

Lastly, I must mention the suspension, at 80,000 miles, is perhaps shot if it was not properly maintained over the years. If car was ever driven for long with broken shocks the suspension sits directly on frame, etc., thus (no joke) sawing itself.

Strongly recommend considering the way You take care of Your things as best means of determining the ultimate “cost” of the car.

A successful low bid of 12,000 may result in 32,000 spent to get the car as reliable and presentable as YOU want.

I have been my own worst enemy with respect to keeping costs down. But when I get in the car I know, with a reasonable amount of certainty, that nothing (else) is going to go wrong — for a while.

Someone here in FChat once told me my “...job is to protect the car, and to some extent the car has chosen...” me because it is getting what it wants!

It’s sort of like that.

So now you can climb in with eyes open if that’s what you want to do. SG

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

ellum likes this.
  5. Vee1234

Vee1234 Rookie

Jul 15, 2020
    Gents I have been a member of many forums... this is one to be proud of.

@MvT given the auction set up it is not possible to drive the car unfortunately. I did cycle the gears but not much more. Clutch and gas pedal didn’t appear to stick but can’t be sure. Likely a vacuum or accumulator issue as mentioned because if the hot weather today here.

@Subito Grigio that is really great advice and valid for any classic car I think.

Based on my previous classics I like to work on things one at a time. I don’t mind limping on, driving if possible, and attending to issues in order of importance however faults do play on my mind. The appeal of the mondial is that it seems a lot of the work is doable if you have the tools, space and a little know how which is what I would do.

It would currently be the third car so not essential to run but I would like to get it to a place within 6 months to be a reliable second car.

12k would be great but the auction is starting at £18k I think.... struggling to see how it’s worth it if it goes much higher with buyers premium of 12% on top.

@mike32 what do you reckon a 7/10 3.2 would go for in the UK?

6. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Have a look on pistonheads and also autotrader.
    I traded mine for a 430 after 20 plus years of owner ship, only 26000 miles with non working sunroof, its now worth 3 times what i got for it on pt ex. Went through roof about a year after i sold mine

7. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Haha...I have to laugh with all the $$$$ statements. When a bit handy you can do ALL yourself on those cars.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

This is the way I bought my car in 2002. It whas a Garage Queen without any doubt....more then 10 years without driving. Brakes paralyst, engine oil dripping all over, OEM bumpers removed and new model bumpers beside but not on the car yet. Front lights and fog lights new model missing (in 2002 already a problem to get them). But I did see the beauty underneed. Started to fix all problems little by little and in 2007 the car whas ready.

And now I'm still driving it every day with great joy !

So, my message here : dont be affraid. Everything can be repaired. Just do it yourself or find a car shop that is'nt counting F extra taxes.
    Guido
    By the way I paid 20K in 2002 ! for that car in the 1e picture.

ellum, Vee1234 and Wade like this.
  8. Matthew 6:19

Matthew 6:19 Karting

Dec 19, 2018
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    Couple of brief comments: its not the biggest deal, but the 348 wheels are mounted incorrectly. They should turn flat then angle; they are angle then flat in the photos. I love how the 348 wheels look, I got some for my 83qv coupe.

All those saying the costs can increase quickly are exactly correct. I bought a 1 owner, 23k mile car that had been sitting for several years. Service paperwork was questionable at best. Long story short.... I now have not quite 2x what I budgeted for service in it... and it's not quite done. I'm not necessarily unhappy about it, but we'll see how it turns out. Just a word to the wise.

Qavion likes this.
  9. Vee1234

Vee1234 Rookie

Jul 15, 2020
    @theunissenguido your car looks lovely! You are a braver man than I am but yes agree it is all doable with the time, space and patience!

@Matthew 6:19 thanks for the frame of reference...

I just don’t see the numbers stacking up with the current reserve and I’m sure some punter will take it for over asking ... these auctions make no sense some times..! Will let you know how it all turns out.

10. Vee1234

Vee1234 Rookie

Jul 15, 2020
    Thanks for all the input on this one chaps - unfortunately someone wanted to spend more than I did on this occasion.....

Onwards and upwards!

theunissenguido likes this.
  11. 348KYD

348KYD Karting

Jul 29, 2007
    Bedfordshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Unsold by the look of it ....

12. 348KYD

348KYD Karting

Jul 29, 2007
    Bedfordshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Lot closed - Winning bid:N/A

Estimate: £18,000 - £24,000

13. Vee1234

Vee1234 Rookie

Jul 15, 2020
    Winning bid was £24,000

14. 348KYD

348KYD Karting

Jul 29, 2007
    Bedfordshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Interesting, bit much IMO, have you seen the ones on ebay, the £26k and £30k ones - both a little overpriced but could perhaps be negotiated down a bit ....

15. Vee1234

Vee1234 Rookie

Jul 15, 2020
    I’m glad you said that because I started doubting myself after the auction. It needed a lot of work and that would get it to a good standard but I don’t want to knock the car because someone has bought it for their own reasons. It just didn’t stack up for me at that price. Others obviously were more confident in the car than I was.

the eBay ones are interesting although this auction one was interesting being a 3.2 and Grigio....

16. Vee1234

Vee1234 Rookie

Jul 15, 2020
    Actually £26,880 with buyers commission and vat.

17. 348KYD

348KYD Karting

Jul 29, 2007
    Bedfordshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Nick
    I think you'll do better if you wait for the right one, they do come up periodically, I looked for about a year before I found the right GT4 and never found a suitable GTS in the UK so imported one from New York in the end. I do like the Mondial though, but I think my wife will draw the line at 3 Ferraris !!!

18. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    That would perhaps be the bottom price for that state of such a Mondial you have seen.

19. Vee1234

Vee1234 Rookie

Jul 15, 2020
    Perhaps. However looking at this ...
    https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1244462
    Full service history with service and belts in dec 19
    Standard with books etc
    No crazy electrics and bypassed starters, working covers, etc etc...

does being a 3.2 and Grigio command such a premium over a 3.0 to overlook the above?

20. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    At this point you can't compare one with another. Just too many variables (e.g. condition) and buyer's preferences (market demand). All these cars are individuals now.

Matthew 6:19 likes this.
  21. Vee1234

Vee1234 Rookie

Jul 15, 2020
    Fair enough. Still on the learning curve but I’ve bitten now so the hunt continues. It’s either this or an Alfa Mondial ... what can I say ... need an Italian v8!

22. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    If you mean Alfa Romeo Montreal then consider at least triple the total cost of ownership. Cool cars, but you gotta have patience and $ for that one.

23. Vee1234

Vee1234 Rookie

Jul 15, 2020
    Urgh! Yes sorry the Montreal. I’m a sucker for punishment! Obviously the Mondial is much for attainable and practical of the two. Focus focus !!!!

24. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    They are jewels :) The price of these have raised to a ridicules level and they do not fit in a clean and tidy garage :) It supposed to be kept like this with a vintage Ferrari kidcar on the wall! :cool:

Wade likes this.
  25. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    I remember seeing one storming past me in Connecticut when I was in high school (mid 70s). Loved them ever since.