Does the Revolution Platform work for Harley? | FerrariChat

Does the Revolution Platform work for Harley?

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by BoulderFCar, Jun 23, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BoulderFCar

BoulderFCar F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Asheville, NC/Ft Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom

Attached Files:

Texas Forever likes this.
  2. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
  3. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I'm a lifelong Harley fan and multiple-time owner. Lord knows, they need to do SOMETHING.

Now, I will stand on my head and say that the logical answer has always been to acquire Ducati, because Harley learned nobody is walking into a HD dealership to purchase a sport bike. Aermacchi, Buell, and various "sporty" Sportsters never sold. They need a brand with its own dealer network that can be bolstered by Harley marketing might and financial resources. Too late now, VW / Audi / Lamborghini have a hold...but I said this like 25 years ago.

I do think the concept of the Bronx is as good as they will get. They need to start to attract a younger clientele that sees them as something other than heavy cruiser bikes.

My biggest complaint - it looks cool, but not cool "enough". It's a little busy and heavy looking, it's not elegant. Looks like a lot of disparate shapes and lines, I hope I'm in the minority on that. But when I compare it to the Triumph Speed Twin, which I think is stunning, this just doesn't compare.

I believe the assumed pricing was also pretty high. Why would I buy this for more money than a Speed Twin or comparable Honda / Kawi / Suzuki / Yamaha?

BoulderFCar likes this.
  4. Tegethoff

Tegethoff Formula Junior

Jul 19, 2014
    Los Feliz
    Full Name:
    Adam
    This looks like a rebaged Monster/Diavel, Harley buyers won't like it, and everyone else who would will just buy a Ducati. GLWS

5. BoulderFCar

Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Full Name:
    Tom
    The thing I can't figure out is how do they get the younger riders to cross to the heavy cruisers especially if it's a different store? Looking back on it, I think the Buells were pretty good bikes but as you say, there was never the appetite among the traditional Harley guys.

Getting back into motorcycles over the course of the last 24 months there is a trend that I've noticed. The Harley and everything else riders used to segregate themselves. No mutual low fives while riding and people didn't chat with the other brands where bikers congregate like the Tail of the Dragon. Things have changed. It really seems like people are more into motorcycling now than a specific brand, maybe that helps Harley?

I've had a Speed Twin for about 5 months. I like it more everyday.

Texas Forever and rdefabri like this.
  6. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    It's a tough nut for Harley to crack. I remember when they started showing Buells in the showroom and you'd get pushback on buying it. I don't know if there was less margin or something but they just didn't want to deal with them. Too bad, they rode fantastic IMHO.

Keeping my fingers crossed for them, I still root hard for the company. I just feel like once they hired Wandell, they took a left hand turn for the worse.

BoulderFCar likes this.
  7. BoulderFCar

Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Like you, I'm rooting for them. I get too enthusiastic because this seems to be a solid light and powerful motor for a starting place. As the posts point out , probably not "it" though.

HD just needs that spark product. Triumph has redeveloped what was a dead product. Indian, which I thought was dead money now has bikes that are well regarded in a space I never thought they could nose into. Even Royal Endfield. WTF?

Texas Forever and rdefabri like this.
  8. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    The problem for Harley is still the patch holders.

We have a big dealership nearby. It puts on bike shows weekly, car shows monthly, nice place.

I've been there a couple of times. I like HD, wanted a Panhead before they got stupid expensive, still like the looks of the mid-90s FatBoy. However, I probably won't be back to the dealership. Who wants to deal with a bunch of bald angry dudes with attitude just to get in the front door?

9. BoulderFCar

Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I had to look up what the patch guys are although I was close on my guess. I'm a little surprised they hang out at HD dealerships. Most seem more upscale for white collar types as opposed to those holding a grudge.

10. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I would go to 2 places near me - both were patronized by heavy dudes, although one of them made the switch over. The other ceased to exist - they refused to become "modernized" so I'm guessing HD eliminated them.

11. BoulderFCar

Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Full Name:
    Tom
    This is to be announced next week as the Sportster S. No idea on the pricing. doesn't grab me but it seems closer to their base customer than the Buell or VRod.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    I think that thing is pretty cool.

Not a fan of the headlight.

But I hope this works out for Harley. It's cool!

rdefabri and boxerman like this.
  13. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Is a normal rake and trail too much to ask for?

14. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    https://www.cycleworld.com/story/bikes/2021-harley-davidson-sportster-s-first-look/

I like the styling, it keeps a harley look takign the ebst styling cues from the 48 and a 750 tracker, is also clean and modern. If Triumph built a sporster. So well done harley.
    Forward controlls, nah not serious then, but one can change those to mid mounts.
    Single front disc not serious.
    The lack of suspension travel and issue and sorta unforgiveable.
    Heres hoping Harley builds another version, like triumph does two versions of the rocket.

It does crediably attack the Indian FTR, imo it simply looks better and is probably significantly better built.

Stylisticaly theyre showing real talent here and this bike can work for the faithful or new millenials.
    Some pipes will make it look better still.

Hopefully there is a more capable version coming, proper brakes and real suspension please.
    Yeah its 500lbs, and yeah its "only" 125 hp, but thats plenty of hp.
    Smart move not trying to take on ducati and hoing their own harley path.
    Ill keep my aircooled sportster 48, its nice in the way old morgans are nice, a new build anitique. Recently Ive been thinking BMW R9T or a triumph truxton, but I can see buying a new harley for the first time in over a decade if they make some version of this that can brake and turn, yeah it will never be light..

15. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I'm not a designer, just a fan, but it just looks too heavy with that big front tire. Not a fan at all, I much prefer the more lithe (if you could call it that) look of the traditional Sportster. The engine looks shoe-horned in, it's just inelegant. I mentioned the Triumph Speed Twin, it looks like an athlete next to this porker.