Does dual clutch eliminate the need to replace the clutch? | FerrariChat

Does dual clutch eliminate the need to replace the clutch?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by tubeguy, Dec 3, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tubeguy

tubeguy Formula 3

May 21, 2003
    Upland California
    Full Name:
    Kevin Deal
    Given that the 430 seems to get 18,000 to maybe 25,000 miles on a clutch, how does the 458 fare for longevity? I guess it is a moot point with the 7 year warranty. It is a covered item, correct?

2. Russell996

Russell996 Formula 3

Sep 24, 2010
    New Forest UK
    Full Name:
    Russell
    Probably! However, a clutch every 20k-30k miles would seem to be of little importance to the average F car owner.
    Servicing is covered for 7 years, not warranty.

3. RBK

RBK F1 Rookie

Jul 27, 2006
    Calif and Nev
    Full Name:
    Bob
    The ",maintenance" warranty is 7 years, the drive train 3 years. Best

4. babyboo

babyboo Formula Junior
    BANNED

Feb 28, 2012
    Nsuburban Chicago
    Full Name:
    Baby Boo
    I doubt the clutch wpould be covered under any kind of warranty unless it could be shown to be defective. It's considered a wear item.

5. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    The DCT gearbox needs no maintenance for the life of the car. No oil changes, no filter changes, no clutch changes..... nothing. Basically, if the engine wears out and needs to be rebuilt, the DCT needs to be replaced. DCT's are not to be opened by the dealers. They are simply swapped with rebuilt units from Getrag and the old boxes sent back to them a cores.

However, if a DCT goes south after the 3 year warranty expires, you're probably looking at 30 grand to replace it with a rebuilt unit.

Ouch.

6. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    #6 arizonaitalian, Dec 3, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
    Mixing up a warranty and the included maintenance...big mistake.

There is no such thing as a maintenance "warranty". There are included maintenance "plans" that pay for the book required maintenance for a period of time, 7 years in the case of Ferrari currently.

Then there is a warranty. Currently 3 years in the US for Ferrari. Covers breakage bumper to bumper (but does not include maintenance).

If the DCT goes boom (or bust) after the 3-year warranty you are SOL per the paperwork (unless you buy an extended "power" warranty).

7. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I believe there is a way to change the fluid and I would recommend investigating having it done. It's still a mechanical transmission and the fluid will degrade.