Does anyone else think the Enzo might be underrated in HP ? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Does anyone else think the Enzo might be underrated in HP ?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by damcgee, Oct 2, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 911Fan

911Fan Formula 3

Apr 15, 2004
    Southern California
    For the record, just how much does Cd change between 50 MPH and 200 MPH?

2. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    Assuming it starts laminar and stays laminar, the skin friction component of Cd would decrease by half.
    If it starts turbulent and stays turbulent, the skin friction component of Cd would decrease by about a quarter.
    If it starts laminar and ends up turbulent, it changes, but I dont have the time at the moment to calculate what the change would be.

3. 911Fan

911Fan Formula 3

Apr 15, 2004
    Southern California
    I would assume the flow is turbulent throughout this speed range (we are talking about automobiles after all...).

Would you agree that the parasitic drag component would increase in this range?

4. PaulfromPA

PaulfromPA Karting

Mar 3, 2004
    Lancaster, PA
    Full Name:
    Paul Grabowski
    As an aside... are resources available that list the quoted Cd of production cars? I've always wondered what the lowest Cd of a production car is and what that vehicle is. I ask for the quotes, because in considering dream cars... I'd like to have a holistic view of the car's abilities instead of just horsepower/torque to weight ratio and cornering grip etc.

Thanks for any links to informtion for a resource!!

5. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    In a real flow, its usually laminar for a portion, then turbulent. At the speeds cars are going and with the (paint) finishes they have, I'd guess that the hood is nearly all laminar flow and the rest is turbulent.

Parasitic drag increases as speed increases. But the component of the coefficient of drag from parasitic drag (at least the skin friction part) decreases as speed goes up.

6. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    Production car? It'd almost certainly be EV-1...can't remember what the value for that is though. For supercars? I really have no idea. The C6 has one of the lowest values I've seen in recent cars with .286...nothing comes to mind which beats that.

7. ashsimmonds

ashsimmonds F1 World Champ

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    mmm, beer.