Does a vehicle registered in a 1 license plate state need 2 if visiting another state? | FerrariChat

Does a vehicle registered in a 1 license plate state need 2 if visiting another state?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by F355 Fan 82, Mar 19, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    I have my Ferrari registered in florida but Im in texas now for a while waiting for my dad to do his lung transplant and recovery. I was pulled over today by a cop for nothing big just missing a plate. He told me I needed both license plates and since the ferrari doesn't have a license plate holder it needs to be on the dash. I kindly told him I don't have a second plate bc florida doesn't give you one and I explained why the ferrari was in texas bc I've come home for a short while and that I don't really live there full time. He then got in a hissy fit that I questioned him and said I need a second plate and got angry and left without giving me a ticket or warning

I googled and it seems that bc the car is registered in florida i wouldn't need a plate on my dash would I? I would do it if it made life easier for the cops in texas but I really don't even have one, they just don't give you two.

So was the cop just mistaken? I think he pulled me over without seeing the FL plate and then realized he was wrong bc he pulled a u turn to come after me but a cop would just never admit he was wrong. Just trying to understand the rules for future reference.

2. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    No. If you get a ticket for that, you can get it easily thrown out by a judge. As long as your car is registered in FL, all you need is a rear plate. Also, they will allow your car to stay registered in FL if you are only visiting and not establishing residency (usually short periods of time). When establishing residency, then you have to get the car registered in that state within the time period they require (typically within 30 days).

Carbonio and F355 Fan 82 like this.
  3. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

or, you can take the path of least resistance and get a color copy made, laminate it, and double stick tape it to the front bumper.

Just pull it off at the texas border when you head home.

D

energy88 and F355 Fan 82 like this.
  4. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    cops often dont know the law.....

Texas Forever and Rifledriver like this.
  5. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Our toll booths take pictures of the front plate. Its all about the money.

And yes, at least here many are clueless about the law.

Texas Forever and F355 Fan 82 like this.
  6. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Or take it one step further and just keep the laminated copy on the dash to avoid being cited for having the "copy" attached with duct tape or tie wraps.

He told me I needed both license plates and since the ferrari doesn't have a license plate holder it needs to be on the dash.

7. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    i think you may need a TX emissions test as well.........

8. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    That is so stupid. Never question a cop, they just get sensitive.

F355 Fan 82 likes this.
  9. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Unless you are a defense attorney, then it REALLY works in your favor.

D

10. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Thankfully I don't know. lol

I got a parking ticket for questioning a cop once. I just keep my mouth shut completely now.

11. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

My kid makes his living catching cops in lies, stretching the truth and just all out fabrications. Cop cams have slowed it down a little, but it's amazing how often the forget to turn them on. They could use more training in that area.

And don't get me wrong, I have a lot of respect for law enforcement, but not for sloppy work and lying to paper it over.

Don't want to wait for a search warrant? Well, make some **** up and search away. Didn't really get resisted? Well, make that up too. He's told me hair raising tales of catching LEO's just making it up as they go, or ADDING testimony or "evidence" that wasn't brought out until JUST that moment on the stand.

D

TexasF355F1 and Rifledriver like this.
  12. energy88

Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    ^^^ Here's an example of a cop pulling over a Tesla for "having a computer on the dash." How it should go.

REMIX likes this.
  13. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Should go back to no "video screens" visible from the driver's position are allowed.

Bring back the analog gauges!

Yeah, call me a luddite - I don't use my "cell phone" in the car, and barely use it outside the car.

14. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    All of my cars registered in Fla and they spend a lot of time in NY, which requires 2 plates. It doesn’t apply to us. A car registered in Florida gets one plate and that’s good wherever you are.

F355 Fan 82 and BMW.SauberF1Team like this.
  15. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Huge supporter of police but bad ones should be crucified. Like most organizations they are terrible at policing their own.

Texas Forever and Davesvt2000 like this.
  16. Carbonio

Carbonio Formula 3

Dec 1, 2009
    Absolutely correct. In addition I have never read a front license plate law (and I read a lot of them) that accepts a plate in the front windshield so in that case I am assuming the police officer was incorrect.

17. energy88

Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    ^^^A possible variation of the "plate on the dash" might include other various state permits designed for legally moving a vehicle. For example, in Virginia, you can drive an unlicensed car from Point A to Point B by obtaining a permit from the local DMV and taping the printed form to the inside back window. I've done this before and was even observed by a state trooper on the trip but was not pulled over.