Dodge Viper Officially "Dies" On August 31 | FerrariChat

Dodge Viper Officially "Dies" On August 31

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by southnc, Jul 13, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Sad news for the American Sports Car.

The end is here: The Dodge Viper dies on August 31 | Fox News

2. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    Having owned 2 I can say they're very special cars but they don't have much mass appeal. I have a feeling they'll be brought back but they'll be significantly different (i.e. not a V10, auto transmission, etc.).

3. nicholasn

nicholasn Formula 3

Nov 7, 2013
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    Sadly, FCA is blowing its R&D budget on high-horsepower variants of cars that were mediocre/outdated to begin with. The current-generation Challenger dates back to 2008. The Charger dates back to 2011, and like the Challenger, there's no replacement in sight. The rest of Dodge's lineup has been shrinking and is devoid of anything fresh except for some new engines in the Charger/Challenger. Fiat sales have tanked despite the addition of several new models. Maserati sales have plateaued even with an SUV offering. Chrysler only has three model lines. Do I need to go on?

4. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    Aren't they working on a smaller Challenger replacement like a Barracuda or something like that? It's been speculated for years but I stopped paying attention.

5. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    FACT: No one is buying these which is why it's being killed.

6. jvmax

jvmax Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    John
    Jeep is Fiat's cash cow. Cant make enough of Wranglers. Also, Grand Cherokee still popular. Suv and crossover market has been hot for several years now, surpassing car sales

7. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    Sad day. The latest generation Viper is a phenomenal car.

I'll be keeping a few very special ones, for a very long time ...

8. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I'm not disagreeing with you but then --- why don't people buy them anymore?

9. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    it WILL be back. too much of an icon to fade away.

10. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I've always loved the Viper, but I think some people don't want to pay that price to get a car with interior styling and quality like the regular Dodges (no Viper gen in particular) and get it serviced at one of those places. It's in the Pcar price range and IMO there is a significant difference in the interiors of the two and experience at the dealers to separate them. The base Vette MSRP is still in regular car territory and it's interior fit and finish and dealer experience match that level.

11. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    Wonder if they could build a new "Viper" using the Hellcat/Demon powertrain and the Challenger platform with a spacious 2 seat layout and sexy bodywork. It might be too big and become more Merc SL than Corvette rival, but may also sell mre if it was a lixurious and very fast GT car.

BTW mentioning FCA, I am seeing now the new Guilia is already being disconted significantly, at least for the base models. Depreciation will be ferocious for that car I think.

12. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    I can only speculate. The perception was that the latest generation was overpriced, in comparison to the vette ... and it WAS more expensive, of course ... but worth every penny in my view. Also, the old reputation was probably hard to shake (great in a straight line, but bad cornering and bad brakes) :(

But i'm tellin' ya, the latest generation is a world-class track machine. And looks FANTASTIC too :)

13. unreelviper

unreelviper Karting

Jan 9, 2014
    DMV
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I'm sorry to hear this news. Prior to owning my Ferrari, I had owned 3 Dodge Vipers. I loved the v10 motor and the high torque numbers. I was fortunate enough to have met Ralph Gilles on a number of occasions. He is a real car guy and I believe that the Viper will arise again one day.

14. nicholasn

nicholasn Formula 3

Nov 7, 2013
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    I'll believe it when I see it. Rumors of a Barracuda revival have been circulating for years, and I think at one point it was actually in FCA's current short-term plan, but it has disappeared from said plan.

15. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Agree. Lots of performance name recognition. Will probably turn out to be like the last convertible in America in 1976 that somehow went into production again when the decade rolled over into the 1980s.

16. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    One reason thye dont sell is imo the mtor. yes the power and lowish weight are there, its just not and inspriational motor and at over 100k it shoudl sound exotic.. Since they added two cylinders to a v8 they should have added two more and gone for a pushrod v12, that would have really been something.

17. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    The viper was and is a serious piece of garbage. However..I love them because of it. It's just a rough and tumble burnout machine that makes no apologies for what it is. A brutal car that will bite your ass. Later years it seems they tried to soften it up a bit, but damn, it will still strike out at you without warning. Like driving a bar of wet soap. Damn they are fun..