Dodge Ram 1500 | FerrariChat

Dodge Ram 1500

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by tbakowsky, Jan 7, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Looking at purchasing a 2019 Ram pick-up. After looking at a few, I think the sport suits me best. Anybody have one currently who could offer their real world experiance?

2. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    The old ones had brake lines that rusted through and failed. By old, I mean 2010...

3. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    Not directly, but the buddy I own a warehouse with has one to tow his track car trailer. I've driven it. Radio reception sucks (if that matters) otherwise it is a lovely vehicle. I'd buy one (though I am not saying it is better than the competing Ford, GM, Toyota, and Nissan offerings--but I like it). Also, the stock headlights can SUCK. This tends to be a Chrysler issue. If HID/LED's are an option, you gotta spec them. He has about 30K on his with no issues.

4. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Mbutner, SAFE4NOW and INTMD8 like this.
  5. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Congrats! I tow and ski with big brother 2500 megacab diesel 4x4. It is so good I would not hessitate to buy another. It conquers snow like a snow plow and pulls my racecar like it wasn't there and is super comfy on long distances. It is my bladder that makes me stop.

normv and tbakowsky like this.
  6. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Thanks!

7. blkfxstc

blkfxstc Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2016
    TX
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Congrats! You didn’t get the 50” center screen??? :)

I am considering one also in 2020.

8. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    No. It's cool and all, but it's just way too much screen for my liking. The 8.4 screen does everything the big one does (almost) but I like the ease of the knobs to adjust the radio and hvac contols. Plus I think it looks better.

Mbutner and INTMD8 like this.
  9. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Late to the party, But I love it.
    I had 2 separate Ram sports from 2006-2011, 2011-2015.
    I Loved my Pick ups. Hope your enjoying yours.

10. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Thank you. I'm really enjoying it. I love the room inside and being able to see over the traffic. Just a nice place to be.

11. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Very nice looking truck! Thought about one myself but it was based only off of looks and no real need for a full size pickup.

12. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Thanks! I'm not what you call truck guy either. I have driven sports cars or sports sedans since well, for ever. I think I needed a change of atmosphere. Now that I have it, I honestly dont think I could be without it. It's that good.

13. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Nice and congrats. I was in the same boat but bought an F150 Platinum in like 2011... been daily driving pick ups ever since. My current and last trucks have been RAMs and I love them. Seriously tremendous vehicles especially for the money

tbakowsky likes this.
  14. normv

normv F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 3, 2005
    Mishawaka In
    Full Name:
    Norm
    Hello, love my Ram 3500 dually 4x4 crew cab diesel 6spd man. But a 1500 is great for hauling your neighbors and friends household when they need to move, with you helping! Though not so good at hauling your own stuff, like a race car for that you need at least a 2500.

15. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I'm sure it will tow a car without an issue. Just under 13k towing capacity for the 1500. 2800lbs bed weight..not too shabby. Not sure I will ever tow anything that weights 10k pounds let alone 13k.

16. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I have the 2019 RAM 1500 brand new Laramie, LOVE IT!! I have the upgraded diff 3.92, can tow 11,200 pounds, plenty for my bumper pull horse trailer.
    It has great blind spot warning on the truck. It actually measures truck and trailer with a 90 degree turn and then knows how far back to monitor for blindspot.
    We have the panoramic sunroof, great option!
    Rear seats recline, they slide forward and back! Nice leather all interior, the BIG center screen, I like it, you can split screen.
    It really does ride like a Cadillac!
    Get one!!

Attached Files:

17. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    You and I are just spoiled...diesel exhaust brake remote start integrated brake controller and all that. For the casual small trailer/racecar tow with the 1500 is fine. but once you have gone diesel you are never going back! Nothing better than rolling coal.

And the comfort of the way the 1500 drives is way better when not towing than the harshness of the 3/4 or 1 ton trucks.

normv likes this.
  18. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Really like the color on that one. Nice truck! You have that same hood as I do. That damn thing sold me on the truck.. Here in Canada, that hood is reserved for the "sport" trim models, which I think is a Canada only option. However you can order it for the other models.

Step rails, tonneau, and larger mud flaps are ordered. So they should be on the truck with in the next couple weeks..

E60 M5 likes this.
  19. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Thanks!! It is a pretty aggressive look. Ours has the power running boards which is helpful for the in-laws to get in and out.
    Getting my roll-up cover on today.