Do you really need the dealer to upgrade your FF steering wheel to a LED? | FerrariChat

Do you really need the dealer to upgrade your FF steering wheel to a LED?

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by Natkingcolebasket69, Aug 3, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Hi all,

So i read all the thread on this and I can’t seem to get the firm answer.
    I got an incoming FF with all options but the carbon fiber wheel. I sourced one online and Ferrari of Redwood City say 90% chance the swap will work. They want 885 for the swap and flash + (I kid you not) 3000 for not buying it with them... all that for something 90% sure lol
    I read some folks said: don’t need the dealer; it’s plug and play...
    So how do you know? I’m thinking it is plug and play and only thing the dealer is flash ur firmware which allows to later on turn off the led in the menu...that’s my assumption but u might need the all flash...
    Not sure.
    Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Waste of money. Novel option when it was new. Never use it on the street. Fwiw id put the money somewhere else. Unfort i dont have an answer to ur direct question as mine came with the car.

ag512bbi, vraa, otakki and 1 other person like this.
  3. Natkingcolebasket69

So u don’t see a value for resale?
    Good to know! Ferrari wanted 20k for a steering wheel.
    Other than that I don’t think I want put money anywhere.
    I got 4 brand new tyres, clear bra, new pads, novitec springs... exhaust? I don’t think it’s worth it; too much for a car I’ll keep probably 2 years...
    I’ll think the steering wheel conversion over then;)

4. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    Get the steering wheel only if you personally want it. If you’re in Bay Area, use GMP motorcars to install.

That $3000 crybaby charge is laughable.

5. Natkingcolebasket69

6. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Resale? Hahha. Its a ff unfort. I wld totally do the exhaust. 20k will turn it into one of the best sounding cars on the planet. Im biased. I wld spend money on lusso wheels, again im biased.

7. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Fwiw ive had people show interest in buying my ff when they found out it had a full novi- my car has never been for sale.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  8. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    I’ve noticed that the carbon LED wheel is not so necessary for US buyers (and a lot of US cars don’t have it) but in Europe it’s deemed to be essential and many more cars have it.

9. Natkingcolebasket69

Now u are going to get me spending money!

10. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    This is unbelievable. I hope you called them out on this and then said to F off.

11. Natkingcolebasket69

I just said no and asked around- I know plenty of ppl who Can swap the wheel but I’m new to the FF so the LED thingy I wasn’t sure if only them could do it.
    Ferr parts told me it’s BS and it is plug and play:)

12. Natkingcolebasket69

That being said on a car that has 35k miles maybe a 20k exhaust system might be too much;)

13. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    The exhaust changes the experience- every single time u step on the gas

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  14. 4_Eff_Sake

4_Eff_Sake Formula Junior

Jul 30, 2016
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I believe this would be considered illegal under our Trade Practices Act in Australia

15. Natkingcolebasket69

It did seem shady indeed!

otakki and 4_Eff_Sake like this.
  16. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I have a Kline on my Lusso. Worth every penny and makes the car IMO....LED is nice but totally not necessary....

17. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Outrageous price just to flash the software. Like you said, it's likely to be just plug and play.

Dealers, not just Ferrari, like to tack on extraneous charges like that. For example, modern Mercedes replacement keys are fully programmed based on the vin# and ready to use upon receipt, but most Mercedes dealers still try to add on a significant fee to "program" it. So if you ever order a replacement key from Mercedes and want to avoid that bogus "programming" fee, make sure to tell them not to open the key package or do anything with the key until you get there.

18. Natkingcolebasket69

Agreed!
    Ferrari of San Francisco quoted me:1500 plus labor for install so half the price from Ferrari of Sillicon valley. Clearly it’s not mandated by Ferrari and
    Dealers do whatever they want;)

19. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    if the rest of interior are all carbon, then I think you need to make your steering wheel carbon as well. I think carbon looks best when all are carbon. So to me, it's either all or none. My 458 are all carbon in and out minus the engine bay. The FF has no carbon at all or even the LED. In all honesty, I don't think the FF needs LED at all, depending on the style you are going with the interior.

20. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    wait the steering wheel is 20K itself? Hmmm, I say, skip it, and use the money elsewhere. Get a watch or something

21. bluesea

bluesea Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2005
    The latest iteration (812 and maybe Lusso) has the two last lights being blue so it is easy to see that the driver is near the end of the rev range. When driving my F12 it was not as easy to tell how many lights were left to light up when most are and the car is hurtling forward in a rage and my eyes are focused ahead.

I grew to appreciate having the LEDs but I recall asking myself during some upshifts if I had a light or two left to light up before I pulled the paddle. The last two blue LEDs on the new wheel really help the driver know at a glance that they're around max rpm.

I found this company offers an LED array replacement with multicolor lights. I think you can get a wheel from them as well.

https://www.macarbon.com/ferrari-30539/california/california-steering-wheels/ferrari-led-unit-detail

Best of luck!

vraa and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  22. TurboDoc

TurboDoc Rookie

Apr 8, 2018
    Full Name:
    BKB
    Without the ECU flash the LEDs will not work. I have the factory carbon LED wheel and when the dealer was working on the car they had to reprogram the ECU and Ferrari forgot to include the LED wheel designation. The car came back to me with the LEDs not working. The dealer had to come get the car and re flash the ECU to get it working again, and my car had the wheel from the factory! I’m certain the LEDs will not work without the ECU re programming. It’s not plug and play; Ferrari makes it impossible for you to add these options without involving the dealer.

colonels and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  23. Natkingcolebasket69

Correct I spoke to Mcarbon. They rock!

bluesea likes this.
  24. colonels

colonels Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2011
    this is correct on F12 as well. everything is plug and play but if your car did not have the ECU line for LED you must add it through a complete ECU flash. labor time approx 3 hours to download/flash the ECU.

25. colonels

colonels Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2011
    i have also learned that Ferrari North America will charge a fee for creating a whole new ECU flash with the proxy line for the LED steering wheel. fee can range from 1500 to 3000 i have no idea the factors.