Do you have to be a SOB like Harley Earl to change public opinion? | FerrariChat

Do you have to be a SOB like Harley Earl to change public opinion?

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by bitzman, Dec 25, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I just read a new book called FINS that tells the story of Harley Earl, GM's first design chief. The title refers to the thing he is most famous for--tailfins.

I enjoyed reading how he thought up clay models--having molded cars out of clay while playing in the mud as a child in California. And enjoyed how his customizing cars for movie stars out on the Coast landed him the job at GM as its first styling director. But a dark part of the story is how he repressed any other GM designer being mentioned in any publicity so his glory would be greater. and how he fired anybody who wasn't a "Yes man." I compare him to Steve Jobs who i credit with making the laptop better looking and appealing not only with its capability but its looks. The rest of the computer industry had to pay attention to looks to keep up with Apple. But what i want to know is--does the man (or woman) who changes the public's way of looking at a product forever, always have to be such an egomaniac? Any design veterans out there with opinions?

anunakki likes this.
  2. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Unless you are fortunate to have a business that 'sells itself' like Facebook, then yes, you kinda have to be a jerk.

3. kevfla

kevfla Formula 3

Nov 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    gone 4 good
    Visionaries hate to be ruled or governed by committees, because that invariably leads to compromise. The "bean counters." So, yes, you do need to be a bit of authoritarian (jerk) to weed-out those not on board with the mission, especially in competitive fields such as car-design. Edison was no different. He had lots of scientists working under him at Menlo Park, but he took all of the credit.