Do you get offended when people ask...... | Page 7 | FerrariChat

Do you get offended when people ask......

Discussion in '360/430' started by 04 360 spyder, Mar 30, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 53ford

53ford Karting

Nov 13, 2009
    Usually, you can tell from the tone of the question whether or not the asker is a dickhead and fortunately there aren't too many of them. For most people Ferraris are not and will never be part of their lives and they are just genuinely curious. I politely give them a generalized answer such as...."I believe the market for this model is presently about xxxxx" and leave it at that. Most people are satisfied with that. With kids I usually say...." about eight years of university, so take school seriously" and I do give them a rough market value if it is age appropriate. I always try to squeeze in something like "absolutely priceless when I stomp on the gas" near the end of the discussion. With rude dickheads I just try to soft pedal as politely as possible, I don't want them keying my Ferrari (or yours) the next time they see it or another one.

2. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Winnah!!!! LOL

3. 360Tom

360Tom Formula 3

May 9, 2013
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    It's seems in California there is a lot more rude D heads who just scoff at Ferrari's. Mostly the Hipster crowd that's into their EV's and beards. But I get comments quite often at lights whiles someone is crossing the street. It seems there is a lot of animosity towards people with nice cars here. Of course, not if it's a overpriced, element consuming Tesla.

4. yangstein

yangstein Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2015
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Well... I do nt get that much attention on the road. Maybe I do not drive a red one? Some people give me a thum up and I say "Thank you" Some youngsters want me to rave the engine as they want to hear it roar then I give a little noise and they love it. If someone asks me "How much?" then I do not know how I would respond but I would say it is not as expensive as you think. Nothing to offend them as they are curious. I guess I have been fortunate not to face rude ones but my experience driving it has been a good ones.

5. efg2014

efg2014 Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2014
    Northern California
    I don't think it is an appropriate question however if it is a close friend asking I will tell them.

6. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando

I don't think is a California hipster thing.
    I used to own a Shelby Cobra replica and that car is the worst polluter in the world, side straight pipes, no emission components etc etc
    And people would always give me a thumbs up, Ferrari ownership in other hand is 50/50 between admiration and jealousy.
    I have been called ******bag out of the blue, it doesn't bother me anymore.
    I have to edit my previous post, once a dickhead with a really aggressive and rude attitude asked me how much was the car, instead of being a total ass and said something like "more than you can afford pal" I did the opposite that actually had a better outcome bothering him.
    I said something like " you can get one of this with very little money" "how much" he replied
    And I said "almost nothing, like 100k"
    Like 100k were "peanuts" for me
    That really bothered him!!!

7. natman316

natman316 Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2015
    If they are genuinely interested in cars (start by talking about the car rather than price/ work/money) I strike up a conversation and show them around the car.

If they just come straight up and be like "what do you do for a living broooo" I just say I am a nigerian prince

8. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    #158 ferralc, May 20, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    haha just like this
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I usually answer, "You can get anything you want with allot of dreaming and allot of hard work". That usually ends the stupid questions.

10. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    If I'm in a good mood and the person asking the question is sincere, I would tell the truth. Otherwise, I would say, "I can't tell you. Even my wife doesn't know!"

11. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Something interesting has happened, the shift has changed from what did it cost to what year is it? Since receiving my 430 that is the first question, not sure why as most have no idea which model it is. Then the next question is how many miles, then cost. I asked someone what difference does it make and they looked at me bewildered. I could say 99 or 16 and they would have no idea but they still ask. This is both friends and strangers.

12. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    "About a quarter million when new."

13. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    2 million nickles

14. StallionRx

StallionRx Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2003
    South CT
    Full Name:
    Mark
    The PC crowd must be getting to me. I hate the "how much did you pay for it" because I feel a bit embarrassed when I tell people I spent 6 figures on a car...like I feel guilty.

If I could tell people I paid a quarter of the amount without lying I would be perfectly happy.

Generally, I just tell people its my wife's car.

15. Cyt

Cyt F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2014
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Cyt- Chin
    In Aussie land there is a 'tall poppies syndrome' phenomenon happening so it's always hard to Letting people know you have such car and that you saved like hell and had a life changing experience before buying one...

So the news of you owning one spread like wild flowers when you told one person...

Then everyone tried to figure how much you paid for it.. But mostly in very subtle way..
    I generally don't mind.. But get self conscious the perception it generate and I own the cheapest version. Most merc and bmw cost more!!

Just my2 cents 😁

16. BladeMD

BladeMD Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 20, 2015
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Hannibal
    I'm in a town of no more than 55k population. I probably have the only f-car, and it's a y2k 360 that I bought last year from an Fchat member.

The "perception" it generates can be intimidating until you have your routine script down. In a town where nearly everyone has a Suburban, Yukon XL, or ESV, all I need to say is this:

"...it's cheaper then a used new model Suburban and a ****load more fun; if you want me to hook you up with one, let me know as I got a few leads!" And those who are asking shut up afterwards as the "he paid $500k for that!" thoughts melt away.

Hoping one of these days someone else joins me locally in the thrill that is the 360.

17. supratime

supratime Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2006
    I naturally avoid situations where u might be even approached with these type of questions. Almost like an innate ability aquired over the years. I use a methodical approach everytime i go out. Never a problem.

18. rotaryrocket7

rotaryrocket7 Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2011
    Eden Prairie, MN
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I feel no guilt and am always open about the price I paid (100k). I work hard, most people are just curious...like Facebook watching. I make trades like everyone else in life. I chose the car instead of a pool, or more diamonds for my wife, or fill in your blank.

I've never understood the reluctance to share things like that, and of course say that without any disrespect intended. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion

19. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    $10 a pound...

20. acmw

acmw Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2006
    Nj
    Full Name:
    Alex
    i just respond credit meant get it !

21. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    This might be the best answer here. Nice balance between humour, tact and self deprecation that most guys can relate to.

22. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    I agree.
    It is a rude question, but that doesn't mean the best response is an equally rude or belittling one. All that results in, is a reputation in your neck of the woods as "...that ***** with the x (color) Ferrari..". Rude stranger always wins.
    It's a bit of the celebrity phenomenon . wanting to be famous but totally invisible at the same time.

23. JTR

JTR Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 26, 2005
    in a house
    Full Name:
    John
    I guess I'm just a simple guy, but I just tell them what I paid.

For me, it comes down to the simple premise that I'd rather have them think I'm a fool for paying so much for a car, than that I'm some rich, rude bs'er.

And I've never had a rude answer from anyone when I've told them.

John

24. Hobacks427

Hobacks427 Karting

Nov 2, 2014
    North Jersey
    Full Name:
    Neil
    For me, I see it about like this. But I'd rather not be asked at all, at least by someone who hasn't established some type of "car-guy" type rapport with me.

25. Freddan

Freddan Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 16, 2012
    Vansbro (Sweden)
    Full Name:
    Fredrik
    no need to be rude to anyone who asks ... you notice very quickly if there is a person who has an interest in the car or for you as a person. Often one thing leds to another... it's like having a dog... opens upp doors to talk to other people.

Wrong car for Those Who don't understand that...

Like it When kids (and grown ups) are all Around The car When i Come out from the store... they ask all kinds of questions... you can Always just answer with a smile if it feels uncomfortble.. works Every time.

Great thread btw.