Do Navy Seals really wear a Rolex, if so why? | FerrariChat

Do Navy Seals really wear a Rolex, if so why?

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by robert_c, Feb 26, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. robert_c

robert_c F1 Rookie

May 12, 2005
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Robert C
    My Submariner runs fast. It doesn't seem that it’s accurate enough for a precision job that a Seal might need.

2. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    that's why they all synchronize their watches before a mission

3. robert_c

robert_c F1 Rookie

May 12, 2005
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Robert C
    But in a week some would be faster than others. What if it's a real long mission?

AshAP likes this.
  4. MBFerrari

MBFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2008
    NoVA
    Full Name:
    Matt B
    I am Navy but not a SEAL. Those guys wear whatever watch they want, but many wear Luminox that I know. Not all though, and yes, everyone in the military will sync watches on multiple occasions to ensure correct timing.

R
    LCDR B

5. Dino944

Dino944 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2007
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I've head that many years ago Seals used to use Rolex Submariners, but they don't anymore. There are also highly sought after military versions of the Sub which were used I believe by the British Navy (they fetch huge premiums at auctions). Remember back in the early 70s a Sub in SS, was $250 and it was very rugged and highly water resistant (back then to 200m or 660ft). Now there are many watches that are water proof to the same 300m depth as a Sub and cost a lot less than its current roughly $6,000 price.

As for the accuracy of your Sub, how fast is it running? Also how old is it? If its new, it just may need to be regulated. If its a few years old, it may be due for a service. I've had several Rolex watches for years and all have been quite accurate.

Best regards,
    Dino

6. BlazinBWF

BlazinBWF Karting

May 30, 2008
    Seattle;Johannesburg
    Mechanical watches can endure a lot more beating than a quartz watch. They will work in both colder and hotter temperatures and they can indure more shock but yes they are not very accurate and for this reason I would really doubt that they use Rolexs.

7. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    Thanks for reminding me about those. As a young man I lusted after a Comex or a double red but had to "settle" for a plain vanilla Sea Dweller.

8. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    I just saw a Double Red SD for $28k. Is the market in the tank or what...

-dsd

9. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    The United States Govt. does NOT issue Navy SEALs something extravagent like a Rolex as official mission timekeeping. The Taxpayer would scream bloody murder if they were issued such timepieces. However, SEALs get paid VERY well (Hazardous Duty, Re-Enlistment bonuses, War-on-Terror deployments, Sea Pay, etc. etc. etc.) and could probably well-afford any watch they wanted - watches are one of the very few personal/jewelry items a military member may wear in and out of uniform, if I'm not mistaken. If you had to bet your LIFE on accurate timekeeping, would you really want to stake your life on a $200 Luminox? Really????

10. Dino944

Dino944 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2007
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    Dino
    You should pick up Dowling & Hess's Unauthorized Biography of Rolex, there are great articles on Comex Subs, Double Reds, Military Subs, Subs with Explorer Dials (Arabic numerals 3,6,9 on the dial), and fantastic pix of all of these watches.

Best regards,
    Dino

11. Dino944

Dino944 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2007
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Today I don't think any government or agency issues Rolex to its military forces. But in the 1960's and early 70's all steel Rolex watches ranged in price from roughly $80-$100 for an Explorer to $250 for a steel Sub or GMT Master. Several governements did issue them to members of their military. However, prices were much lower in the 1960's and 1970s and these watches were also readily available at the PX if someone chose to buy one on their own.

Best regards,
    Dino

12. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    Where is DMOORE when we need him????

Mike

13. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    #13 SonomaRik, Feb 27, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2009
    Not a big deal, but Navy SEAL is redundant. All SEALs are US Navy, no exceptions.

rik

14. 512bbnevada

512bbnevada Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 22, 2007
    las vegas
    Full Name:
    Biff
    I knew a guy that was a seal he said whatever weapon or anything else they wanted they got for free, all they had to do was ask. These guys are on the hardest missions I think their lives and success of the objective is worth anything it takes

15. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    Thanks, yes, I probably should but I'm not as into that stuff as I used to be. I had a great collection of Rolex literature with all the ads and brochures with the Comex divers. I also had a couple of books that Rolex used to print with testimonial letters from owners about what their watches had endured. Some amazing stories like the pilot who blasted through a closed canopy and his Rolex went through first and survived. Gave the whole lot away years ago. :-(
    I think that the only watch book I kept is the Japanese one on the Omega Speedmaster.
    The doubleredseadweller.com site has pretty good info.

16. cove26

cove26 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2007
    CT
    Full Name:
    Mike
    So what your saying is that because the Sub costs $6K it is better and will hold up better than a $200 Luminox? I beg to differ. As many have stated already, and is a known fact, Rolex's tend to run a little faster than other watches. Luminox watches are very reliable and durable. I would much rather trust my life on a Luminox than a Sub any day.

technom3 likes this.
  17. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    Where is DMOORE?????? I will be very interested in his response.

Mike

18. TravisJ

TravisJ Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 9, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Travis
    This is quite an overstatement. While a $6K watch can be afforded by just about anyone, you make it sound like SEALs are highly paid. Look it up, they clearly don't do what they do for the money. (regardless, I am grateful for anyone that serves in the US military)

19. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Anybody remember the watch synchro scene from Animal House?

ForzaV12 likes this.
  20. CMY

CMY F1 World Champ

Oct 15, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #20 CMY, Feb 27, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  21. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Do you really believe that "almost anyone" can afford a $6k watch?

22. Axecent

Axecent Formula 3

Oct 15, 2008
    Central Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    I totally agree....I have 2 luminox watches and am wearing one now...only problem I ever had with one I had in the past is that I lost it. I have a Rolex Daytona and find the Luminox to keep better time and it is much easier to read in daylight or pitch black....they are good watches.

23. rimoore

rimoore Formula 3

Nov 18, 2004
    Island in Maine
    Full Name:
    Richard Moore
    Actually that's not true. There are a number of foreign military members that go through BUD's and Soth Korea has their own SEAL's.

24. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    This may be of note of Navy personnel and wrist-watches

https://www.nrotc.navy.mil/doc/MSTM%202008-endorsed.pdf
    Midshipman Manual
    Page 86 & 87
    904 g

g. Uniforms. Clothing appropriate for SSN/SSBN/SSGN cruises is listed in Chapter 6 of this manual. Care must be exercised in selecting articles to be carried, as storage space is extremely limited. Additional clothing requirements should be determined by contacting the assigned ship or parent submarine squadron. Variations dictated by unit missions should be expected. Aerosol cans, shoe polish, and luminous dial wrist-watches using radioactive elements are prohibited on submarines

25. Dino944

Dino944 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2007
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Most companies stopped using Tritium (which was radioactive), approximately 10 years ago or more.