DIY Maintenance 458 thread. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

DIY Maintenance 458 thread.

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Melvok, Feb 25, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    You are right but I have no clue how to make a "sticky"on that …. anyone here ?

2. Yellowgallardo1

Yellowgallardo1 Karting

Sep 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    marcus
    Would need to contact a moderator.

3. hgoodwiniii

hgoodwiniii Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2015
    What's the going rate on 1 year annual service at the dealerships? I have a 2011 458 Italia. I'm being quoted between $700 and $2,000. The $2,000 quote includes with coolant flush.

4. Yellowgallardo1

Yellowgallardo1 Karting

Sep 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    marcus
    I’ve noticed there’s almost 0 diy threads vs Lamborghini talk. I would have figured a lot more people would be working on their cars due to the age of the 458. I am about to undertake a few things on one of the highest mileages 458 in the country!

5. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Full service :
    Oil Change, Brake Flush, Coolant Flush, Gearbox
    One belt ….
    Engine air filter, Cabin/pollen Filters
    Wipers You can buy them at any store: they are from LEXUS

And all the checks and balances
    Nut & Bolt , etc... $2500.00

Oil Service $ 650.00

Why would we do a coolant flush at all ?
    With the modern fluids absolutely not needed unless 10 years old, also Mercedes, BMW and Audi never do them.

How about gearbox fluid ? Also not needed before 100.000 kms imo.

And when are sparkplugs done ? 60.000 km's ?

Imo, we can do most things ourselves easily ….

Who is allready doing this himselves now ?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. gobble

gobble Formula 3
    Owner Regional Sponsor

Jan 29, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Ferrarifobs.com
    Has anyone confirmed a tool that will reset the annual service light? I bought a Launch tool but haven't used it yet because my car jut received the last included service.

If anyone needs the service manual pm me and I can show you where to download it.

458Silverstone and Pocty like this.
  7. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Not that I know of. I thought that this one: http://www.foxwelltool.com/ would do it because they advertise it that way. However I became suspiscious and e-mailed them once a few months ago, and once last week (just in case they updated). Both confirmed that it does NOT support the oil reset light on the 458, even though the charts show that it should.

8. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Just because someone at Mercedes, BMW or Audi tells you to run your gearbox oil for 60K miles, that doesn't mean it's a smart idea.

I just serviced a gearbox that probably had around 75,000 miles on it and there was plenty of sludge on the internal surfaces; also both magnets were full of metal flakes. The issue is that not changing the fluids often will accelerate wear on internal components, for example synchros, bearings, etc - all items which are solely lubricated via an oil bath, not grease. When the fluid has any fine grit in it from wear, it's like circulating sandpaper. The more dirty it is, the more it wears. The more it wears, the more dirty it becomes. It's a situation which feeds on itself.

Also, just changing the fluid almost isn't even enough, because doing that doesn't remove build up from inside surfaces. Yes, it helps - but really in a perfect world you'd tear down the gearbox and clean it all out; then put the new fluid back into a clean enclosure.

But to do neither (by not even changing the oil), is really helping to create the perfect liquid abrasive environment inside your motor or gearbox - and this results in a lot more wear than more routine changes of fluids would.

Audi probably doesn't care if you wear out their parts; they likely only care if they make it past the warranty period. After that, a failed gearbox probably makes them more money than selling you the original vehicle did.

Ray

GSF355 and Need4Spd like this.
  9. hgoodwiniii

hgoodwiniii Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2015
    Hi all. Is Penzzoil still making the Ultra Euro Synthetic 5W-40 oil? Seems I am only finding 5W-40 in a Platinum Euro Synthetic product.

10. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    I use Shell oils over here in Europe :)

11. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Front Brake pad info: it's # 07001668 for the 458 (of 2012) Look here

12. gobble

gobble Formula 3
    Owner Regional Sponsor

Jan 29, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Ferrarifobs.com
    Someone made this video showing how the tool I bought can reset the 458 service interval light.

up4speed likes this.
  13. Yellowgallardo1

Yellowgallardo1 Karting

Sep 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    marcus
    I will be doing plugs and coils on my 100k ferrari 458 shortly! I can do a diy thread or video. It looks pretty straight forward though

Melvok likes this.
  14. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Can you please post the exact tool that you purchased?
    Also, please post if you successfully cleared the light yet. If not, please post when you do.
    My light isn't on yet, but I would like to purchase a tool in advance, that I know will work 100%. There are too many differing stories on this for me to feel comfortable buying the tool before I get confirmation on the forum from an actual user.

hgoodwiniii likes this.
  15. hgoodwiniii

hgoodwiniii Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2015
    gooble, were you successful in resetting your service interval light using this tool?

16. gobble

gobble Formula 3
    Owner Regional Sponsor

Jan 29, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Ferrarifobs.com
    I haven't tried it. Mine was just at the dealer for the last year of included maintenance so the light won't come on for another year.

Is your light on? Where are you located?

17. gobble

gobble Formula 3
    Owner Regional Sponsor

Jan 29, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Ferrarifobs.com
    I didn't see this post until now. I purchased this Launch tool and a separate tablet https://www.ebay.com/itm/LAUNCH-EasyDiag-3-0-OBD2-Diagnostic-Tool-Android-IOS-OBDII-Bluetooth-Scanner-/254230303671?hash=item3b314e93b7

Only difference is someone put me in touch with a guy in Hong Kong that somehow software unlocks ALL makes of cars rather than the ebay ad where you pay per number of cars needed. It shipped 2 day DHL from Hong Kong. The guy will only text through Skype and only with a referral. I can put you in touch if you'd like to buy the tool.

18. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I'm in NY. My light hasn't come on yet. I was just trying to plan for when it does.

As soon as you try it on your car, or a friends, and it clears the light, I would DEFINITELY be interested!!
    Please PM me so I can get more info on it once you know for sure. Thanks, I truly appreciate it!

19. gobble

gobble Formula 3
    Owner Regional Sponsor

Jan 29, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Ferrarifobs.com
    If anyone that currently has their light on wants to try my tool for the good of this thread I'm open to shipping it.

20. hgoodwiniii

hgoodwiniii Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2015
    gooble, my light is on; I'm interested; I'm in Houston, Tx. I changed my oil this past weekend.

21. gobble

gobble Formula 3
    Owner Regional Sponsor

Jan 29, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Ferrarifobs.com
    Do you want to try the Launch tool? I know exactly the place in the menu where you'd reset the light. It just won't do any good on my car yet.

I know a lot of people on this forum but we've never met. Maybe shoot me a linkedin invite if you want to try so I know who you are. You can find me as Mark Waldvogel working for KPMG in Milwaukee.

Melvok likes this.
  22. JariT

JariT Rookie

Nov 25, 2011
    Switzerland
    Coolant change is important it has corrosion inhibits. You can read stories from oil/water heat exchanger failures on 360 threat letting coolant to gearbox. My personal opinion is to change coolant at least every 5 year.

23. hgoodwiniii

hgoodwiniii Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2015
    I'll send you a PM.

24. Pocty

Pocty Rookie

Mar 5, 2017
    London
    Full Name:
    Philip Octave
    Me please :)