DIY: California T Exhaust Upgrade + Valve Controller Installation | FerrariChat

DIY: California T Exhaust Upgrade + Valve Controller Installation

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by whatheheck, Apr 30, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    DIY: California T Exhaust Upgrade + Valve Controller Installation

Here you go for sharing in case anyone here wants to upgrade their California T stock exhaust.

Upgrade stock exhaust to Ferrari HS Sport Exhaust + Valve Controller installation.

Note: I learned through posts here that the exhaust mufflers can be upgraded without removing the rear bumper. However, it is very difficult and tight. For installation of valve controller the rear bumper has to come off anyway so I went ahead and removed the rear bumper for much easier installation.

Degree of difficulty about 5.

Lots of exhaust choices out there (Novitec, Tubi Style, Capristo, Fabspeed, etc.)
    I chose the OE Ferrari Handling Speciale Sport Exhaust as all I want is a little louder in volume, a little more burble. And I also want a design with a built in silencer/muffler so that my neighbors wont hate me when I start my car in the morning to go for a drive.

I found the best deal on a HS Sport Exhaust on good old fleaBay. Ferrari P/N: 70003624

At the same, I also decided to install an exhaust valve controller made by Forza Componenti (Steve Bisel) so that I control the exhaust valve on command.

Mission accomplished. I am 100% happy.

If anyone wants to upgrade their exhaust here is a complete DIY instructions including copies of workshop manual on sections affected.

Photos and a short video below.

Hope this helps some of you.

Dan

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Workshop Manual affected attached

Attached Files:

3. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Quick start guide for California T attached.

Attached Files:

4. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Great choice, Dan! I'm very happy with the HS Speciale mufflers I had installed on my Cali T last year.

One question, though ... I was under the impression that the controller would not change anything on cold start due to the lack of vacuum to pull the valves shut, so it's wide open no matter what. Does it make a difference there?

I find the exhaust note just right with the factory settings to open or close the valves on the street depending on the manettino settings and RPMs (I always leave it in Sport anyway). But it is loud starting it up.

Great recording of the exhaust. This is a stock vs HS excerpt from a video by Ferrari of Poland that captures the differences between the two systems really well ... just a few decibels but the sound is so much deeper and sporty.

whatheheck likes this.
  5. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Hi Vic,

Here is my experience after having it installed 3 weeks ago now and putting on many miles on my car:
    • Normal position of the exhaust valves when the engine is off is wide open (no vacuum yet).
    • Once you start the car it takes about 3 seconds to build up on vacuum pressure and the valves then closes and it quiets down the exhaust.
    • The ECU regulates the position of the exhaust valves depending on RPM by Ferrari software design.
    So this is normal operation.

The valve controller enables owner to open and close the valves on command anytime.

I'm glad I purchased an upgraded exhaust with silencers / mufflers built in.
    I experimented with the valves open all the time and I didnt like it.
    • a) With the valves always open (similar to unplugging the vacuum lines on a stock exhaust) initial start up is LOUD.
    • b) Also after driving for a few hours around town that deep low volume rumble on low RPM starts giving me a headache so I pushed the remote switch back to A normal mode.
    So to answer your question - with the valve controller on the button A mode (normal operation) during initial startup the valves are open (lack of vacuum), then the after 3 seconds of engine start the vacuum pulls the valve closed which then quiets down the exhaust as the exhaust air goes through the mufflers/ silencers.

Hope that helps and makes sense.

All the best to you!

Dan

vjd3 likes this.