DIY Battery Support Bracket | FerrariChat

DIY Battery Support Bracket

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by NeedSpace, Aug 2, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NeedSpace

NeedSpace Karting

Nov 23, 2012
    Bergen County NJ
    I was tired of my battery sliding around. It bent the battery tray and I am concerned about it coming loose or worse, arcing and creating some interesting melted designs in my car.

I bought a cutting board a little bigger than my batter. I cut it out using a dremel and a 4 inch hole drill bit for dryer vents.

Overall I am fairly happy how it came out, it is fairly snug but on one side you can see the hole saw travelled a little giving it an extra 1/4 inch or so of room. It is not screwed in yet, I am going so see how she holds up. I have a second cutting board, I may put that on top of the first one. Stay tuned.

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Between these 2 pics you can see the one side circle is a little out of place.

BillyD likes this.
  2. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
  3. NeedSpace

NeedSpace Karting

Nov 23, 2012
    Bergen County NJ
    Agreed, the battery I use though doesn't have that tie down, and this battery is one of the best you can get, and substantially smaller than the original having the right amps. On top of that, I couldn't find any bolt holes but to be honest, I didn't look very hard. I wonder if the 82 has different bolt down than the 84 QV?

4. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
  5. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Looks nice!

The clamp is actually a safety measure. In Europe and the UK your car will not pass MOT. I almost cannot imagine in the US it is not the same. With the clamp you can also clamp down smaller batteries and with the board you created it cannot go anywhere :cool:

The reason why you mostlikely cannot see it, like mine in the past, is that it probably broke off. On the inner fender side you would need to see a nut welded on to the battery plate. You can access this via the wheel arch (the official way to change/remove your battery. You can unscrew the aluminium plate (3 screwa) after taking of the wheel.