DIY: 360 - Repair the Windows ECU for less than 50 cents | FerrariChat

DIY: 360 - Repair the Windows ECU for less than 50 cents

Discussion in '360/430' started by mello, Dec 21, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #1 mello, Dec 21, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
    I decided to do something about the misbehaving driver-side window up/down operation when pulling on the exterior handle. It only works about 5% of the time and it’s been driving me crazy the past few years. I remove the door card and start probing as to where all the micro switches are located. I found that the micro switch that senses the window up/down position is not detecting the window state reliably. When in the up position, the micro switch should be infinity, the down position should be zero ohm. Currently, when the window is up, it is zero ohm and infinity if I tap on the micro switch mounting bracket.

It’s easy to make the adjustments once you see how the micro switch interact with the window regulator mechanism. I made the adjustment and slap everything back together thinking that I’ve finally licked the problem.

Well, no joy. So the obvious next step is to replace the windows ECU. I don’t have to tell you how much that part will cost ... I’m thinking, “What the heck, let’s open this baby up and see if anything is amiss. I have nothing to lose”. At first glance, no burned components, which is a good sign. Since I don’t have a schematic, it’s troubleshooting in the blind. I power up the FLIR camera and took a picture of the circuit board while all the electrical connectors are hooked up. Jackpot! I spotted an IC chip running hot, and this is with the ignition key off! In other words, the window ECU is draining the battery as car is just sitting there! That explains why sometime the battery is drained dead when I forget to plug in the charger overnight.

I sourced a new part from Mouser.com and replaced the defective IC. So far, after testing it about 50 times at random time of the day, the window rolls up and down as expected. If you find that your battery is draining overnight unexpectedly and you have a misbehaving window, this might just be the ticket to a permanent fix. The pictures are self-explanatory, but feel free to ask questions!

WARNING: do not put your hands inside the window regulator and troubleshoot while the car battery is connected! How the windows behaves is unknown when the ECU is in a fault state. The window might roll unexpectedly up or down depending on which micro switch is defective and activated or inactivated. You might lose a limb or several digits. I disconnect the inter-door electrical connector before reaching in there and reconnect it to test the adjustments.

Ferrari: 2003 360 Spider
    Part source: Mouser.com
    Part Manufacturer and ID: ST-Microelectronic, general purpose OP-AMP LM2904
    Window ECU: 185888

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

mwstewart, Qavion, Need4Spd and 11 others like this.
  2. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    Gosh....and ppl here describe these cars as "analog".

Thanks for posting this, I'm sure it will help somebody someday.

John_K_348 and whatheheck like this.
  3. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    Nice job. I vote this gets put in the DIY section.

Thanks for taking the time to document what u did, and thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Dewinator

Dewinator F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2017
    WA
    Wow you’re like some sort of wizard.

Need4Spd likes this.
  5. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Perfect timing I think my car is suffering with a similar issue though when the drivers door closes the window goes up then goes down about a half inch.

6. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    And the battery went from 100% charged to 25% overnight

7. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Yay for component level troubleshooting! It's pretty absurd that our windows have a friggin' ECU, but it's still just electronics...my passenger side window works but "weirdly", so I will probably look into this. Thanks for sharing this info.

8. since-15

since-15 Formula 3

Nov 26, 2008
    Gotta love this place. Great people sharing their DIY experiences and with pics! Nicely done, OP!

whatheheck likes this.
  9. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    That saved some serious money. I had to replace the window ECU in my 456M due to corrosion, and it wasn't cheap.

10. RossoC360

RossoC360 Formula Junior
    Owner

Jun 20, 2008
    Buffalo NY
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Nice write up Sir!

11. asgor

asgor Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    FYI, ECU Doctors fixes window ECU units at a fraction of the price they cost new (if one can even source them anymore). It may take some prodding to get them to do it (they will claim "they don't do window ECUs", which means they don't do them often), but if you press them a bit they will deliver.

whatheheck and G. Pepper like this.
  12. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    The majority of the time the most common failure in these ECUs isn't the op amps but in fact the mechanical relays which are inexcusably soldered on to the PCB rather than socketed like they used to be on cars in the fuse boxes.

Same inside the immobilizer box too.. you could say, cynically designed to fail...

Sent from my S8 using FerrariChat mobile app

imahorse and whatheheck like this.
  13. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

my cs passenger door problem is that the window comes down too late! it comes down only after the door was opened, which gives the glass a handsome shake..
    What could be the cause, Mello?

14. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Check the micro switch on the external door lever. I find that the plastic spacer piece (the one with spokes) on mine has a loose fit, not switching on/off reliably. I shim the play with some plastic tape so that it would not rock back and forth as much.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

benzo1968 and John_K_348 like this.
  15. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Great job!!! Thanks for sharing

Dan

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

16. beefyhead

beefyhead Rookie

Jan 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    andre willis
    AWESOME IM HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM WITH WINDOW SWITCHES STAYING ILLUMINATED AND MY PASSENGER SIDE WINDOW BEHAVING STRANGE AS WELL. IF I REPLACED THE SAME IC YOU DID DO YOU THINK IT WOULD FIX THE PROBLEM CONSIDERING THE ISSUE IS AFFECTING THE PASSENGER SIDE AND NOT THE DRIVER SIDE ?

17. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    If you have a thermal camera and verified that it's running hot like mine, then most likely it's the problem. Without a schematic, it's a crapshoot at best. Otherwise I suspect it's the microswitch hidden behind the mounting plate on the regulator. I would at least verify the proper adjustment and operation of the microswitch before you dig further.

18. beefyhead

beefyhead Rookie

Jan 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    andre willis
    My car is a 430 I have actually changed both microswitches and checked adjustments on the other two that's in the door but nothing has changed after multiple troubleshooting techniques isolating switches and window switches your post is the only car that I found that had anything in common with how my car is behaving but I will dig a little more forat and see how I make out

19. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I would think that the 430 is awfully close to the 360 in design as to the windows regulator and operation of the microswitches. It's possible that the 430 window ECU is superceded with a new design. I shot a video of the regulator microswitch in action using a borescope, but I can't post it due to the attachment size limitation. If you give me your email address, I'll be more than happy to send it to you.

20. beefyhead

beefyhead Rookie

Jan 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    andre willis
    I agree from a design standpoint they should be very similar.......my email is [email protected] would love to take a look at it and see

21. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Well, after a little over 2 years, the old problem came back. I took apart the windows ECU and it's the same component that failed. After replacing it again with a new part from a different supplier, it fixes the problem. At this point, I'm not sure whether I got a marginal part to begin with or something else is causing the op-amp component to failed. Perhaps its a bad circuit design. Its difficult to make an assessment without a schematic. Does anyone knows if the 430 window ECU is the same as the 360?

[​IMG]

John_K_348 likes this.
  22. gsholz

gsholz Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2006
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Probably a borderline design putting that op amp at the edge of its design envelope. What component is at the second hot spot shown in the picture? Nothing should get hot with the key off.

23. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Arrrgh... Can't tell you for sure since its reinstalled on the car. Going back on some old photos, looks like a bunch of SMD components; capacitors, transistors. There could be some collateral damage on the second hot spot as you suggested. If it blows again, I'm going to replace it with a superseded unit.

24. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I found an old video that I've created showing how the regulator arm interact with the micro switch. This is the driver side window. Hope it's useful to someone.

25. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

turned out the microswitch is fine, the position of the switch is off by a tiny bit, resulting in the delayed pre-drop