Distributor connections greasing | FerrariChat

Distributor connections greasing

Discussion in '308/328' started by Andrew McCrae, Feb 10, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Andrew McCrae

Andrew McCrae Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2016
    Ireland
    Has anyone ever experimented with conductive grease on the terminations on their high tension leads? Similar to the conducting medium used under Tens Machine pads.

2. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    No, it would just provide an easier path for arcing. Di-electric grease to reduce/prevent corrosion is the only suitable grease for a secondary connection...as well as the vast majority of other electrical connections. Conductive grease has a few very specialized applications but it is not safe/suitable for general use in electrical connections.

waymar likes this.
  3. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    Mike would di-electric grease be suitable around the switch contacts of the turn signal stalk?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

4. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    I would say yes. Verell rebuilt mine and i seem to recall some grease

5. Andrew McCrae

Andrew McCrae Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2016
    Ireland
    I did some more reading on this and all the testing seems to indicate negative consequences of using conductive grease.

And dielectric grease seems to have almost exclusively positive consequences. Thanks for putting me straight on my wild thoughts Mike.

6. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Glad I could help! Most of what I know about stuff is the result if screwing it up the first time (and sometimes the second and third time)! ;) On this subject, I use di-electric grease on virtually every electrical connection in cars/boats - Almost a requirement in the salt water boating world for reliable electrics

7. Tojo

Tojo Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2002
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I'm a big fan of using Deoxit Gold on electric contacts for keeping corrosion at bay and improved connection Far less messy than grease. Not cheap but worth it in my opinion

Sent from my SM-G935F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

8. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    I use deoxit extensively and agree it is an excellent product - despite its somewhat over-enthusiastic marketing hype! ;) I use it a lot on everything from restoring old vacuum tube (valve) gear to automotive/marine use . BUT, from personal experience, I can tell you that in the marine environment, Deoxit alone will not protect connections against corrosion. OTOH, cars don't operate in salt water so their electrical systems are generally not exposed to that level of "abuse." ;)

If choosing to use grease: After the contacts/terminals are clean a coating of di-electric grease is applied to the contacts/terminals and then the connection is re-made. It's important that the grease is applied to the relevant contact surfaces BEFORE making the connection. IOW, physically making the connection is done "through" the grease. Di-electric grease has no effect on the circuit. It does not increase (or decrease) resistance of a properly made connection in any way.

Why "Di-Electric" grease as opposed to, say, wheel bearing grease? Simply because di-electric grease is totally free of any conducting-capable ingredients. Other greases, depending on their composition, may have some conduction capability which could cause a problem in some situations.

9. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    This is the type of grease Bosch used on the internals of the ignition switch contact block. Copper grease. I use it on all my battery connections and sliding electrical connections (turn signal). I use dielectric grease on connections subjected to a harsh environment after the connection is made.

Image Unavailable, Please Login