Dinoplex -Lancia Fulvia Tach not working | FerrariChat

Dinoplex -Lancia Fulvia Tach not working

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by Timo04, Mar 6, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Timo04

Timo04 Karting

Jul 2, 2007
    S.F. Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Greetings,

I recently had my original Dinoplex box retrofitted by Fred Winterburn (see his post elsewhere on this site). He did a fantastic job! The Dinoplex AEC 103B ("red label" for four cylinder engines) is now installed back on my car, the engine starts and runs fine. However the tachometer does not work. When I purchased the car, some four years ago, the Dinoplex box and the wiring harness, with the original tachometer amplifier/converter, were all installed on the car but not hooked up (like the one shown in the attached photo). The Veglia tachometer always worked fine until I installed the newly retrofitted "Winterburn" Dinoplex box, which is a capacitive discharge type of ignition system.

Does anyone happen to have any suggestions on how I can get the tachometer on my Fulvia to work again? Do I need to install another tachometer amplifier/converter? I have two separate original tachometer amplifiers/converters, and have tried both of them but the tach still does not work. The tach amp/converter is the little black box mounted on the brace as shown in the photo of Fulvia engine bay in the attached photo. This is how the Dinoplex looks on my Fulvia, some of these cars came from the factory with this type of ignition system, as shown.

Does anyone on the board happen to have any experience with getting their tachometer to work properly with Dinoplex (capacitive discharge) ignition? All advice is very welcome

Thanks in advance,

Tim

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
  3. Timo04

Timo04 Karting

Jul 2, 2007
    S.F. Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Thank you your reply and for posting this.

We found the problem. It was actually the positive lead on the tachometer/board it self. It needed to be cleaned of the factory coating used to prevent oxidation! The connection was recently removed and reinstalled when we had the dashboard gauges out, and it simply needed to be cleaned in order to get the proper signal to the tach. It was a challenge that was somewhat frustrating to solve, especially when you have go back in and disassemble what you just put together. At least now the tach and everything in the CD ignition system works at it should.