Dino246.com LAUNCHED! | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Dino246.com LAUNCHED!

Discussion in '206/246' started by Nuvolari, Nov 17, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Work continues and in the next month a LOT will happen so stay tuned for updates:

http://dino246blog.blogspot.com/

First though read about our special meeting last week :)

2. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    Rob, a pleasure meeting you and your wife here in Germany. I hope we will see us again, maybe on your side of the ocean.....
    Regards also from Irina
    Matthias

3. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Rob, I am pleased to inform you that we are reproducing the "M" series consoles in 'glass.
    You shall have them by the end of August. I was surprised that the originals are slightly better made than the ones in my "E".
    Nevertheless, you will be quite happy.

I am glad you met with Matthias, by now he should be named ...Matteo.

Regards, Alberto

4. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Thank you for the messages guys. Today we did something really fun and while it did not involve sanding, painting, or polishing it was one of the best projects we've done so far.

5. thedoc

thedoc Formula 3

May 27, 2009
    Hey Dino dude wassup !
    How's the paint coming along?

Gary
    Espada

6. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Rob,

Thanks for such a great website. My fiberglas belly pan has frayed edges so I went to the local plastic/fibreglas fab shop with samples of my stripped/blasted panels. The guy there said it looked like they sprayed shredded pieces rather than layed down woven mats. Not sure I read the blog correctly, any help is most appreciated.

I need a 4.5'x5' sheet if I were to replace b ut that doesn't seem easy to find. If I fab my own I could replicate the red 'glas from shredded but not woven mats

Regards,

Scott

7. JCR

JCR F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    Fiberglass was sprayed from a chopper gun. That's how it was done in the old days.

8. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Hi Scott

Thanks for the feedback. As for the fiberglass it was indeed made originally with a chopper gun that sprays out a combination of resin and fiberglass fibers. For this reason you need to use fiberglass chop mat rather than woven cloth to make all repairs. To make the repairs seamless you need to tear the edges of your repair piece rather than cut it smooth with scissors. This way it will blend seamlessely with the background. Also we mixed resin with finely de-stranded chop mat to make the joins even more invisible. It is a TON of work.

Once installed the seams between the individual panels are sealed using strips of standard woven fiberglass cloth laid down with resin. All of this is done before the black paint is applied. I hope this helps.

9. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Thanks, that is what mine look like - shot from a chop gun. Wasn't sure about the "strand orientation" statement in the blog, thank you for clarifying.

Anyone who missed it, be sure to view this wonderful blog of the restoration journey:
    http://dino246blog.blogspot.com/2012/02/dino-hell-fiberglass-panel-restoration.html

10. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Work on the car is continuing and there are plenty of new blog posts but today's news is the launch of www.dino246.com as our landing page was getting a little long in the tooth.

It is a bit of a work in progress and we hope to expand it as time allows. We welcome any feedback.

11. Jamie H

Jamie H Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 28, 2009
    Puslinch,ON
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    cool new look guys !! Keep up the good work. Off to Green Bay tomorrow night to look at a US spec Dino.

I'll send pics a soon as I get them back from photomat. *lol*

12. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    looks great :)
    regards Matthias

13. fastradio

fastradio F1 Rookie
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 26, 2006
    New England
    Full Name:
    David Feinberg
    Rob,
    Thanks for the plug....and really like what you've accomplished! It's refreshing to see a proper restoration done on a truly great car. Best of luck with the outcome.

David

14. Jamie H

Jamie H Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 28, 2009
    Puslinch,ON
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    Hey guys

Read the latest post on your blog, man what can I say?

You guys seem to be having a rough go of it, hopefully third time lucky although dealing with RM will ensure the desired outcome I am sure.

Having been in the automotive business for the last 35 years I have seen lots of poseurs and supposed 'Masters of the trade' but truthfully have met very few, it seems that you hadn't met any until now.

I look forward to following your deserved progress and I am sure that these guys will get you where you want to go.

Go Dino Go !!

15. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Great going Carbonio Bros.! and what a spectacular attention to detail.

Jamie, I concur with the wise words, plenty of masters of disaster out there.
    Over the top, or under it. Sad reality, and it appears to apply in too many other fields :(

Regards, Alberto

16. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Guys thanks for the kind words. Without a doubt we are now in the hands of masters and it is cool to share our experiences. Remember this is supposed to be fun so we try not to get too down on the negative.

Today we did our first post that uses a video. Not ours but it was too good to pass up:

http://dino246blog.blogspot.ca/

17. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    As we approach paint work is going swift and fast with updates almost every day. Today there are the first images of the body in bare primer getting ready for the first of 3 rounds of block sanding.

Also we have integrated the restoration blog and website so that no longer do visitors have to deal with the blog not being linked to the website. We also enjoy getting feedback and have posted a tutorial on how to leave your comments.

Check out the photos: www.dino246.com

18. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    Rob, looks great.... keep it going... and take your time
    regards Matthias

19. Jamie H

Jamie H Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 28, 2009
    Puslinch,ON
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    Wow, looking good.

You are definitely getting what you are paying for.

Beautiful job.

20. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Wonderful!@

Any words on sanding technique?
    http://dino246blog.blogspot.ca/2012/10/all-metal-beauty-first-coat-of-primer.html

Forza Paul and Rob, missed you in Palm Springs

Scott

21. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Scott we would have loved to have been there but all extras are on hold as we work on the car.

Regarding the sanding technique, the car will go through 3 rounds of epoxy primer followed by 3 rounds of block sanding to get the car straight. Because the metal work is so good the car will need next to no filler anywhere to get it right. RM told us that even the best cars in the world always get a bit of filler here and there but the secret is that it is never more than just a few thou thick. It is used just to address little imperfections and not slathered on the car and blocked down to determine the shape of the body.

We figure that before sanding the whole car will have less than a golf ball of filler on it. After sanding it will amount to little more than primer that is a little thicker in some places rather than others. The metal is actually THAT straight to begin with.

22. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Nice update on the blog Rob ...Did you find any broken hockey sticks with plastic blades with your caps ? I went through something similar this summer at my parents house with "stuff" from 30 yrs ago as well. I didn't find my Wayne Gretzky rookie card ! Damn !

Nice write up !

23. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    As work continues we are into the carb rebuild and will be posting a lot this week tips and tricks in getting a Weber put together right:

http://dino246blog.blogspot.ca/

We welcome followers to post questions here or on the blog as carbs tend to be a scary subject for most but it need not be as it is something that just about anyone with a little mechanical aptitude can do at home. The key is a clean workspace and attention to detail.

24. daviekj

daviekj Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2008
    UK
    I note the good tip about ensuring the four long inlet manifold to head bolts are slid in place in the manifold before mounting the carbs. I have forgotten to do this twice before. It is very annoying to have to undo the already linked and torqued down carbs!
    Kevin

25. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    I took note of this when we took everything apart but you can be sure that when the car comes together that something else will cause me grief.

Today we posted final images of the carbs finished on the intake manifold. Boy was it ever a lot of work to get the detailing just right. Makes me want to ditch the airbox to have a better look at the carbs.