Dino246.com LAUNCHED! | FerrariChat

Dino246.com LAUNCHED!

Discussion in '206/246' started by Nuvolari, Nov 17, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to invite everyone to visit www.dino246.com . At present the information part of the site is not yet finished but the restoration blog is up and running. In this blog we will be documenting the restoration of our 1971 Dino 246GT. The goal is to restore the car to factory correct standards top to bottom with the site being a reference piece for future restorations. Updates should be fairly often as the goal is to have the whole car finished by mid 2011 so progress will be swift.

I will try and post when updates are made but the sure fire way to get information fast is to register your e-mail on the blog. I will not do anything with the addresses it is just an automated way of letting people know when updates are made.

Enjoy!

2. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    lovely
    regards Matthias

3. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    A bunch of updates have been uploaded as I try and catch up to our current progress.

4. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Rob very nice idea to restore a Canadian Dino 246 GT coupe back to the way it was delivered new at Yonge Steeles Motors in Willowdale Ontario Canada! Also to share with us the restoration of this Fly Yellow beauty on your web site. The early Canadian delivery Dino models were indeed Euro spec cars. The last car Yonge Steeles Motors had was a white Dino 246 GT coupe. Have you confirmed the original color combination for your Dino?
    CH

5. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    WOW that is fantastic data. Yes Matthias told us that the original colour was indeed white. It was later painted....wait for it....black and gold :( and then yellow in 1993. We will be restoring it back to yellow. White is an excellent colour but we always wanted a yellow one so we will make sure that it is painted a period correct shade of yellow. We will reveal in a future blog post some of the faint traces of white we found on the car.

May I ask where you got this data about the YS Motors cars? I would be most interested.

Also we have traced back every owner the car has had and are tracking them down for more info.

6. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    There was a Dino thread some time ago that mentioned there were two different versions of the so called 'Fly Yellow' color. Can't go wrong with Fly Yellow that is a favourite! In the 70's there was a greater variety of Ferrari colors chosen for Canadian deliveries. One of the last Dino models for Ontario was a silver Gts that YSM displayed at the Toronto Auto Show in 1974 beside a brown on tan Daytona Spyder.
    CH

7. simonc

simonc Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Herfordshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Campbell
    Excellent - Thank You

Simon

8. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    The blog has received several updates and it is our plan to update every couple of days until completion. In addition to following the restoration we will profile shop tools, supplies, and procedures that can be applied to any project to help go more smoothly.

http://dino246blog.blogspot.com/

9. thedoc

thedoc Formula 3

May 27, 2009
    Rob or Paul ;
    I am sure you will need it eventually but do you know the best place for me to obtain crackle black paint?

Gary
    Espada

10. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Gary what you are after is more correctly referred to as 'wrinkle' finish and is available in 2 ways.

1. Buy VHT Wrinkle Paint. It comes in a spray can. The more you apply the more the paint wrinkles but it takes quite a lot of practice to get it right especially on larger areas as any overlaps result in thicker application and more wrinkles. In TO you can get this at Performance Improvements on the Queensway.

2. My favorite is to powdercoat. Any powdercoater will do this for you just ask for wrinkle black. The finish is durable and perfectly even. The downside is that originally the wrinkle is a little more scattered like the spray can gives. I prefer PC because it is incredibly tough while the spray paint can be much more fragile. I have had good results with http://www.byersbush.com/ . They are in Mississauga and ask for Maria. She has been there forever and gives good pricing and service

Good luck with it.

11. MrApex

MrApex Formula 3

Jun 4, 2004
    Niagara Region
    Full Name:
    Andrew B.
    This looks like a great project Rob. Best of luck with it!

I look forward to following your progress.

12. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
  13. TKO

TKO Formula Junior

Oct 22, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Tom Kearns
    Great Blog Rob! Like the format, original 246GT graphics, dog pics, etc. Looking forward to your progress. Nice ....!

Tom

14. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
  15. nerodino

nerodino Formula 3
    BANNED

May 19, 2005
    Suffolk UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Rob, Fabulous web site!

16. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    very nice Rob...good luck to you and Paul with your project.
    that's one lucky Dino to be in such meticulous and dedicated hands.

brett

17. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Thanks for the compliments guys. As work progresses and assemblies start really being restored we expect the photos to really start flowing.

Brett I'm sure you will appreciate a future post where some of the many sins of past 'experts' are made public. I have kept a photo log and it is both scary as well as entertaining.

18. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
  19. Jamie H

Jamie H Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 28, 2009
    Puslinch,ON
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    Looking good guys !!! Love the attention to detail. Will you guys be around next week?

20. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Jamie feel free to give me a call anytime next week. We'll be around and so will the Dino :)

21. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    More posts and more progress to the blog. The actual website portion will be done in the next couple of months.

Also I have opened up the comments section of the blog if anyone has something to say.

http://dino246blog.blogspot.com/

22. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    just lovely...
    :))
    regards Matthias

23. f1lupo

f1lupo Formula Junior

Aug 4, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Johnny S
    guys that's some serious work you're taking on!..thanks for posting

24. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
  25. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Great stuff Rob and Paul, I love your no nonsense approach. Keep it up!

Congratulations!

Best,
    Alberto