Dino Washer Pump | FerrariChat

Dino Washer Pump

Discussion in '206/246' started by racerboy9, Dec 18, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. racerboy9

racerboy9 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
  2. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    You mean next to impossible to find, and when you find it, it has to be rebuilt,
    as the hose that resides in the spinner is always crystallized, even if NOS at steep prices.

Regards, Alberto

3. racerboy9

racerboy9 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    I am lucky as I have 5 NOS pumps I tested and they all worked fine. Even my old original pumps worked. But you are correct that the rubber pump hoses may split or flatten out from the rollers compressing them for years/decades. I think the right size surgical tubing would fix a pump that runs but doesn't pump.

synchro likes this.
  4. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    NMNMNMN likes this.
  5. LeoDino

LeoDino Rookie

Sep 2, 2010
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Georg
    synchro and TonyL like this.
  6. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Not to mention that the part is hidden behind a screwed down batchboard and not visible during concours inspection...

7. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Thanks to racerboy9 post it reminded me that I must get one of the foredit pumps for my car, it had the Siell pump which was fitted to lots of continental and UK 1970's cars.

After scouring the internet I eventually found one for £70, brand new and still in its original box.

The next problem was where did it go, past posts on this subject didnt answer the question as on RHD cars, the position shown on LHD cars would not allow the same installation + there where no original holes that matched the mounting block on the pump. After looking for over a hour I eventually noticed two small M5 studs welded to the chassis about 75mm below and towards the back of the car under the wiper motor. They were a perfect fit for the pump, so this must be the place it was originally fitted.

Now to test the pump before locating it in its new home, yep you guessed, the pump whizzed around but very little water came out - it didnt work!!

RonG posted a picture some time ago of the internals and it is just a basic peristaltic pump, drilling out the securing rivets revealed the internals exactly as his picture. After a few test runs i noticed that the 3 ball bearings didnt actually compress the tubing and therefore wouldnt compress the fluid. I cut two thin strips of cardboard to give me about 0.5mm thickness and placed it between the internal tubing and plastic base plate, greased the internals, refitted and tested.

The water now shoots over the roof!!

Anyone having a similar problem should try my rather crude solution, hopefully it will work for you. One thing to watch out for on re-assembly is that the outlet connection is larger which houses a minature non return valve so you need to make sure the motor rotation spins towards the outlet.

Pic taken from RonG's post.

Tony

Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. 4-Seater

4-Seater Rookie

Jul 15, 2005
    UK

9. 4-Seater

4-Seater Rookie

Jul 15, 2005
    UK
    Dear Tony
    Happy New Year...I am not sure how to direct message on the forum so would you be able to email me direct [email protected]
    Thanking you
    Best
    Sean