Dino Saga 080120 _ Alternator Mounting | FerrariChat

Dino Saga 080120 _ Alternator Mounting

Discussion in 'Corbani's Corner' started by John Corbani, Jan 20, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    #1 John Corbani, Jan 20, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Dino Saga 080120 _ Alternator Mounting

Most US Dinos have the air pump/clutch removed or disabled by now. Mine have been gone for as long as I have owned the car. Didn’t know how unusual my alternator mounting was until I tried to help Dennis get his alternator out for brush repair. http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=180155 Champtc and Tonyl tried to help along with others. We all had different mounting arrangements and poor Dennis had a lot of grief. Don’t know if we helped or hurt.

I looked in all the books I have to see if there were any detailed drawings of the complete alternator/clutch/pump assembly. The only one I found is the one in the parts book that comes in the owner’s pouch. The only photo is the one in the US Addendum to the Owner’s Manual. None of this info is enough to figure which bolts you loosen to adjust belt tension or which bolts to remove to get the alternator out. Finally, there is no mention of the fact that you can’t get the alternator out if your right gas tank does not have a relief in the side. If there is no relief the tank itself must come out first. Messy and dangerous.

My car was raced in its earlier life and the owner made quite a few mods to make service easier. One of those was the rework of the alternator mounting. He pulled the Alternator/Clutch/Pump and then bit the bullet and got out the hacksaw. He cut off the tail end of the support casting that goes between the alternator and the tension locking bolt. He bolted this back on to the alternator and was done. The big casting was tipped forward and locked. It never has to move. The lower alternator bolt is a loose fit. It supports the weight of the alternator and provides a pivot point. The original locking bolt goes back where it was. The result is easy adjustment of belt tension and lots of room to remove the alternator whenever it is necessary. Remove locking bolt and pivot bolt. Alternator is free.

I doubt that many mechanics made the above mod when removing the clutch/pump. Destroys an original Ferrari part and all that. Since there are no good pics of the original assembly I took the liberty of copying omgjon’s pictures of his engine as it came out. A little editing and I got something very useful. Jon’s photos are the best thing that has ever happened to Dino owners. The support casting and the alternator are pretty clear and appear to be what Dennis found. Hope these pictures and a reading of Dennis’s story will help those poor souls who have to get at their alternator. Hope Dennis finally won. I’m sure he will tell us sooner or later.

John
    Image Unavailable, Please Login