Dino Saga 071202 _ Hot Left Caliper | FerrariChat

Dino Saga 071202 _ Hot Left Caliper

Discussion in 'Corbani's Corner' started by John Corbani, Dec 2, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    #1 John Corbani, Dec 2, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Dino Saga 071202 _ Hot Left Caliper

Seems I did some damage to the left rear caliper a couple of weeks ago. Had pads stick in and things got really hot. Cooled all down, made a quick check and drove carefully for two days before I could get the brake hose changed. Guys changed the hose and said nothing about other problems. Drove for a week and pulled the wheel. Found brake fluid on the outside of the disk. Oh Oh. Cleaned things off and got my wife to pump the brakes. Outside piston was leaking slowly. Damn. Well I had rebuilt calipers before. Must have cooked everything that touched the piston. Went into the house and called GT Car Parts. They had the kit, could ship today (Wednesday), regular UPS. Refilled fluid reservoir, put wheel back on and drove slowly. Got kit Friday afternoon. Good service, now for the fun.

Saturday I pulled wheel and took some pictures. Leak hadn’t gotten any better. Bit the bullet. Pulled metal brake line that goes from hose to caliper. Line wanted to drip so found a short piece of vinyl sleeving that would go into the tube. Pushed a finishing nail a little way into the vinyl. Pushed vinyl into caliper end of metal tube until firmly sealed. Tightened metal tube into brake hose so it was out of the way. No more leaking. Pulled both caliper mounting screws and made sure I had both shim washers that center caliper. Retracted outside piston, Pulled pads, caliper came off easily as emergency cable fell away.

Boy what a mess now that I could see what had happened. Pads had gotten hot, heated piston, completely fried dust shields and undoubtedly done horrible things to the seals. Same thing had probably been happening for years and I never noticed it. Can’t understand why it didn’t leak immediately. Maybe the changing of the brake line and the subsequent bleeding and cycling had knocked everything loose. At any rate, I had a good afternoon cleaning job.

Mineral spirits and a soft stainless brush did pretty well. Didn’t look like anything but rubber had been hurt. Pistons came right out with the retracting screws going backwards. Seal rings came out with a scribe. Inner surface of rings had been fried. No way they could seal at low pressures.

Let everything soak for the night. Will clean up and replace the rubber today. If weather stays nice. Saturday was sunny but air temps were in the 60s. That’s cold for working outside but as long as you can stay in the sun it is OK. Got down to the 40s last night and still waiting for sun to get air temps up. One of the problems with a car port in the winter. Even a Santa Barbara winter. So far, so good. Mid 50s and rising fast. Converted New Yorker. Been here 53 years and only go back under duress.

Will have more photos and news next week. Should be rolling again this afternoon.

John
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Pantdino

Pantdino Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jim
    When this happened on my car the bores in the caliper were warped and no longer round. Had to replace the caliper.
    Lyle Tanner told me this comes from the parking brake mechanism sticking and to never use the parking brake. I rarely do.

3. Gary48

Gary48 Guest

Dec 30, 2003
    John I had a similar problem with a couple of the calipers. The dust sheilds were entirerely gone and a couple pistons were frozen and very difficult to get out, the only way I knew something was wrong was the leaking fluid. pistons are stainless and are usually o.k. just clean out the calipers, install new seals and dust seals and back in business. I did this on all four all at once. Its amazing that they will get very bad before showing up on the braking.

4. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I had the parking brake stick the other day as well, I may be due for the same job!

5. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    Thanks for the feedback. I cleaned all up, replaced rubber and all is right with the world. I think the old hose is the problem, not the parking brake. Pistons can't retract if oil can't get out. I double checked the inner piston retraction after parking brake test and all looked good. Will get into more detail in next week's Saga.
    John

6. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I'm rebuilding mine and am finding the ATE handbrake parts seem to be rare.

7. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    John,

Did your pistons show signs of the slightest pitting?

Your other thread "More Left Caliper" only mentions "they cleaned up nicely"
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=177614

Mine are apart and I'm prepping for plating. The rear left dust boot of one piston is damaged and pitting was evident, so it gets ejected.

Happy holidays,

Scott

8. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    Scott,
    No sign of pitting. I used a stainless wire brush and mineral spirits to clean up and piston OD still had perfect ground finish. The piston never rubs against the caliper body which is quite a bit larger in diameter. Piston just rides on square O-Ring. It is dry here so that even with cracked dust seals there is little chance of water getting in and causing corrosion. Also, I drive the car every day and the heat drives out any moisture that sneaks in overnight. Good luck on your rebuild.
    John

9. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    JC,
    Thanks, but one of my rear caliper pistons has pitted so it'll have to be replaced.

I also ordered Speed Bleeder brake bleed screws and wanted to relay the correct sizes that I've found:
    front = SB8125L
    rear = SB7100

http://www.speedbleeder.com/size.htm

These make one-person brake bleeding quite easy, especially alleviating the possibility of any air seeping in through the screw threads. With the US Dollar in decline, the price of factory standard, original ones from ATE in Germany results in nearly twice the price as the Speedbleeders.

10. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    John,

Hope you're doing well. Any photos of the completed work?

11. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    Thanks to you and all others. Car is doing fine. No new pictures since all is working well and no oil leaking. Nothing to take picures of! Winter will be over in a few weeks and we will travel some more. Will find something to write about.
    John