Dino Saga 071028 _ Grey Day, Satellite Photos | FerrariChat

Dino Saga 071028 _ Grey Day, Satellite Photos

Discussion in 'Corbani's Corner' started by John Corbani, Oct 28, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    #1 John Corbani, Oct 28, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Dino Saga 071028 _ Grey Day, Satellite Photos

Santa Ana winds are gone and the marine layer came in Friday night. Wednesday afternoon was 95. Thursday 85. By Saturday it was 65, grey with a little rain. This morning the sun is back and heading for 75. Quite a spread. Firemen are happy as are all the folks affected by the fires. Omgjon and his Dino came through OK. Thank God. He used a Google picture to show the location of his houses. I used both Google Earth and Microsoft’s Virtual Earth to look at the fire terrain. Amazing what can be done. Why don’t TV stations use these pics?

Google Earth has a far better interface but Virtual Earth has higher resolution pictures. I have used Google to scout and illustrate interesting runs over the past few years. Pictures look good from 1000 feet but not so good at 500 over the Santa Barbara area. Saturday weather was so lousy that I couldn’t do anything with the Dino. I decided to take a satellite look at the Santa Barbara harbor after spending time there a couple of weeks ago. Harbors have lots of fine detail and sharply defined shapes. Usually good contrast so you can be sure of getting everything the satellite sent down.

Both programs display a picture about 1000 pixels wide. Google is a little taller but 500 pixels high is about it with all the markings, copyrights, etc. You either have to crop to get to a 4 x 3 ratio and post a small picture or glue two images together, bottom of one to top of the other. That can be cropped to maybe 900 x 675 and enhanced as desired. Then you reduce to 800 x 600 and sharpen. Final is about as good as was sent and about as good as Rob’s rules will allow to be posted.

Google was easy. Zoom in on SB, rotate so Navy pier was horizontal, capture two shots at 4300 feet and 2 shots at 612 ft. Just save the pictures using Google’s routines. Virtual Earth has a 2D and a 3D (beta) mode. You have to use 3D to get rotation. Then zooming is an adventure. Screen blacks out between zoom steps. Takes a while to get oriented. When you do have the shot you want, there is no screen save. I can capture a screen using PhotoStudio so that is the way I got the pictures. I used the Google pictures to judge height since Microsoft hasn’t got the altitude to work. Showed -4 to -6ft during all shots.

Got everything all glued together and cropped pretty close to similar fields of view. At 4300 ft both were good, just different with light and color balance variations. At 600 ft the Microsoft photos had about twice the resolution. Google has just put up a new satellite and the wars are on. Other cities have much higher resolution than Santa Barbara. Take a look at Las Vegas on Google. Gonna be fun in the next few years.

Had to get a Dino moment in here so I pulled an out-take from the Harbor shoot. Got a little bit of a looky-lady on the left side and didn’t feel like editing her out for the Harbor Saga. Shot taken at the foot of the Navy pier. Details show up in satellite shots. Internet is a great way to scout locations. Try it yourself.

John
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. FourCam

FourCam Formula Junior

May 19, 2004
    Loveland CO
    Full Name:
    Cameron MacArthur