Dino Saga 071014 _ Muffler Repair | FerrariChat

Dino Saga 071014 _ Muffler Repair

Discussion in 'Corbani's Corner' started by John Corbani, Oct 14, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    #1 John Corbani, Oct 14, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Dino Saga 071014 _ Muffler Repair

Been two years now since the beginning of my motor overhaul nightmare. After the engine was pulled I took a good look at the muffler and decided to replace it. Rust and holes in the tailpipes. Got quotes and decided to look at the muffler again. Got out the wire brushes and really cleaned everything. Muffler inlet pipes were fine. Muffler shields were rusty but no holes. Asbestos sheets were still well secured. Both muffler bodies seemed sound. Poked ends with a scribe and plenty strong. Turns out that the only things that had rusted out were the four tubes heading back to the chrome tips. The tips themselves were still in pretty good shape. The front end chrome had blistered some but the rear two inches was fine.

I wondered if the internal muffler tubing had rusted. Bit the bullet and sawed out a section of one of the tubes where it is welded to the muffler body. Looked inside and probed. Everything looked pretty good. Some rust and carbon but perforated tube went way on in. Looked like an artist with a tube bender could match the four tubes. A good welder should be able to jig the muffler and tips so they stayed in place. Then all that is required is to cut the tube supports, cut the tubes out and weld the new ones in. Finish by making new tube supports and welding them where the old ones had been.

Went around to muffler shops and asked if anyone could and would and how much. A couple were not interested. Couldn’t make the tight compound bends with their bender. Or didn’t even want to try. Finally found an old muffler guy who said that he could do it. Had done ornamental bending and had a great stock of tubing. Said it would take about a week. Maybe two. Have to fit it in between his money jobs. $300 should cover labor and materials. Watched him work on a couple of jobs and went for it.

Two weeks later he called and said it was ready. Looked great. $300 was just fine. He had kept old rotted out tubes and shapes matched. Welds were clean. He said that he was able to clean up the old weld surface on the muffler and had a nice heavy section to weld to. Tips were welded just fine too. Said that it had taken quite a bit of tubing just so he could hold on to the pieces. Handle ends were then cut off.

I took the assembly home, cleaned and wire brushed everything again and sprayed it all with black engine paint. Masked the last two inches of the tips where the chrome was still good. When put back on the car it looked like new. And sounded great, as usual.

Still looks fine and most of the paint is still there. The screen inside one tip is still floating around but it has been doing that for 15+ years. So much carbon inside the tip that there is no way to clean things and weld it back. Doesn’t bother me at all.

There are ways to keep things going without breaking the bank. One trick is to fix only what is broken, not everything that is just old. Nice to live in a city with so many supurb craftsmen and technicians. There are some dogs but they don’t last long. Drive!

John
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Ferrari Rare Parts

Ferrari Rare Parts Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 18, 2006
    Rome Italy
    Full Name:
    Orlando
    On a nice car like that I would have placed an x-ost 100% stainless steel if I owned it ,looks same as ansa, it may cost $1880 but its worth every dollar spent,and it will really look good on that dino.
    I'm not into getting anyone touching my baby!