Dino Saga 071007 _ Camino Cielo after the fire | FerrariChat

Dino Saga 071007 _ Camino Cielo after the fire

Discussion in 'Corbani's Corner' started by John Corbani, Oct 7, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    #1 John Corbani, Oct 7, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Dino Saga 071007 _ Camino Cielo after the fire

Haven’t been up on top of the moutain since last year. Zaca fire is fully contained so thought I would take a look. Last year I ran Camino Cielo East to West and did a Saga about it http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114426&highlight=060723___Some
    This time I started from the West at San Marcos Pass, Hwy. 154. There were signs of heavy equipment recently and Camino Cielo was very much the worst for wear. Fire never got across the Santa Ynez river so we were all safe. Firefighters did a magnificent job along the hillsides just below Camino Cielo

Cielo Store was closed. More than a month with no business ended the season early. Some patches had been made on tight turns near homes and the Painted Cave community. After the Painted Cave turn-off the signs were right on. Rough. No maintenance. Drive carefully. No particular problem if you have good eyes and quick reflexes. When I could finally see to the north and west the devastation was stark. The mountains were black and dark brown. Not a sign of green on the north side of the lake and river. Air was clear to the northeast and you could easily see for 20 miles. Nothing all the way to the horizon.

You have alternating views to the right and left and the coastal side was hazy. I could just make out Santa Cruz and Santa Rosa Islands on the horizon. SB Airport was pretty clear but the University and the surfing beaches were fading out. Shots were taken about 3:00 PM so all the near vegetation was back lit and the far stuff was well faded. Went on up to 3500 ft. and looked down the back side towards Rancho Oso. This resort got a terrible scare and was evacuated or warned to evacuate multiple times. You can see the trailers and campsites used by the firefighters. The resort is just upriver to the right. All is OK now and the livestock are back home. Everyone chipped in to take care of the horses during the fire. The fire burned all the way to Ojai on the east and Cayuma to the north. Going to be a messy rainy season if we get the normal amount of rain. Floods, slides, etc. Will take about 10 years to get really green again. But it is almost all uninhabited and loss to life and property was almost nil. $120 million was the cost of the fight. Well spent.

Car ran just fine. Temps were all good and fans worked when needed. I stopped every quarter mile or so to take pictures and was tickled as to how easy the car restarted when hot. Looks like no problem at all for about 5 minutes. After that the classic slow start begins. I still think that the gas in the float bowls boils and all that is needed is to allow the fuel pump to refill things. After 20 minutes of shopping I just turn key on for 30 seconds, crank with full throttle and it starts within another 30 seconds. I am too impatient to wait 60 seconds before cranking. Unfortunately I can’t use that neat theory to explain why the car starts instantly after cooling off for a couple of hours. Oh well.

Good Day! Nice ride back down the way I came. An excellent use of a Saturday afternoon. P.S. Microsoft Virtual Earth has better satellite pics, if they have pics, than Google Earth. Interface stinks but if you need highest resolution pictures…

John
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    "Unfortunately I can’t use that neat theory to explain why the car starts instantly after cooling off for a couple of hours. Oh well."

Thats always me puzzled too !!

Tony

Lovely car, always liked dinos in red or yellow, never seen that colour blue before....nice.

PS i do you buy the sparklies!!!

3. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    PS

Nice views, how hot is it? We was in Vegas a while back and i couldnt hack the heat

4. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006

Sta. Barbara's on the ocean and gets sea breezes most of the time. It's nothing at all like the hellhole of Vegas.

5. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    Was a beautiful day, mid 70s, no wind. Sparklies came with my camera and I like them. Reflections from edges of iris blades I am sure. Only show up in clear sunlight bouncing off of highly polished surfaces. Fuji S6000 is a great camera, 28 to 300mm zoom, 6Mp, manual override on everything. A keeper.
    John

6. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    John

English humour about the sparklies as we dont get any sun!!!

Tony