Dino Saga 070930 _ Party Day | FerrariChat

Dino Saga 070930 _ Party Day

Discussion in 'Corbani's Corner' started by John Corbani, Sep 30, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    #1 John Corbani, Sep 30, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Dino Saga 070930 _ Party Day

A UCSB sorority decided that our pool would be a fine spot to welcome this year’s new pledges. Yesterday was a zoo and I didn’t have much time to write. Did have a few minutes to take some pictures and do a little editing. 80-90 beauties descended and the weather man screwed up yet again. He predicted cloudy and cool. We got sunny and warm and really clear. The ladies didn’t complain a bit. Neither did I. Was a good day and today the Dino and I get to go ride a little in the same weather.

One of the pictures shows the Dino next to the caterer’s SUV. Looks like a kid’s toy in comparison. Funny thing is that they both get the same mileage around town. I often wonder what the Dino would do with fuel injection and computer control of advance and mixture. Probably double the 12 mpg I regularly get now. Maybe more. When I run 80-90 I get 22-24 mpg and that probably couldn’t be beat much. I believe the problem is the teaspoonful of gas that goes down every barrel when you put your foot down on the accelerator. Every shift means 6 teaspoons of gas gone. Response is great but I’ll bet that auto mixture and timing could get the same response with less fuel going out the exhaust, unburned.

Lousy weather to worry about anything. Lunch time now and then it will be time to go for a run up a mountain. Enjoy the pictures.

John
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    That's a tough life you lead. Lovely scenery!

I averaged 19 mpg on the recent trip upstate. That's an average with a lot of interstate (around 400 miles) and a mix of fairly aggressive and more gentle mountain driving (about 100 miles). The average would have improved if I had gotten in the last 125 miles of interstate, but fate intervened and killed the ignition box. (No, I didn't count the miles on the flatbed toward the average.) Still, I'll bet pure interstate cruising at 70-75 would yield 25 mpg or more. I agree that a modern FI system and ECU would improve things for all but the freeway driving.

One thing that I did get in the mountains was brake fade. I was able to keep up with cars having twice the horsepower of mine, but only by using the brakes very hard. After a few miles, the fade was so bad that I had to back off. The pads on my car are old (maybe OE), so I'm interested in modern alternatives.

3. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Car looks beautiful, so does your weather, scenery, pool......damm why can't i live in the states. All we get is rain at weekends and unable to use mine.

Best i got out of my car was 25mpg on a motorway run to Silverstone GP circuit.

4. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    Of course, your gallons are somewhat bigger than ours, right?. 1 U.S. gallon = .833 Imperial Gallon.

5. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Yeahh i forgot about that, but yours is a lot cheaper and a better octane rating!!!

At around £4.50 per UK gallon ($9 ishhh) it dont go far running a dino

Cheers

Tony

6. PWehmer

PWehmer Formula 3

Oct 15, 2002
    Surrounded by Water
    Nice pictures.

You have a model train that runs around your pool?

7. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    Yeah,
    G Gauge using LLago Creek track and homemade slip switches. I have a couple of kitbashed Bachman semi-scale locos with suitable narrow gauge cars. These have been modified for battery power and radio control. I run those.

The most popular trains are Christmas specials offered by our local Kay Bee toy store. I saw one and bit. $30 gets you a radio controlled steam engine, tender, boxcar, gondola and caboose. And Sound! And a circle of track. And the ability to run on 6 C cells for about an hour. Forward, stop, reverse, sound on-off. I converted to 9.6 volt NiMh race car batteries and can get 1-2 hours of action on a charge. Took the track back to Kay Bee and told them to give it to the next buyer. You never have too much track. But I have enough.

Kids love the sound. And love that they can run the train. At $30 I bought extra sets, put the radios in the Bachmans, let the kids push the empty toy loco shells around the track and all is fine with the world. My rule is that the kids pushing have to keep the loco on the track. If they can't, they can't touch the loco. I don't put the loco away so the kid will not be tempted. This causes no end of grief with clueless mommies but the kids who follow the rules are great guests and will likely become Ferrari owners when they grow up. There are advantages to being 72 and a grouchy old man.

John

8. mikeyr

mikeyr Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike Rambour
    John,

Next time you have such a bad sorority crowd control problem, feel free to call me for help :)

Mike

9. 246tasman

246tasman Formula 3

Jun 21, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Will Tomkins
    I'm very tempted to try it on my Dino, also on the Queen Mother. If I do I'let you know

10. Sal Manzur

Sal Manzur Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2004
    Upland Ca
    Full Name:
    Salvador Manzur
    Nive view...and a nice gathering of beautiful young ladies. The Dino looks like
    a prince under its canopy. That is where it belongs.

Since I believe you are the original owner of your car I wanted to get your imput on those belt
    straps in the spare tire suround area. Does your car have them?

11. Pranucci

Pranucci Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 17, 2005
    Carpinteria, CA
    I'll bet you volunteered as lifeguard, too! Looks like you're doing your part to move parties out of Isla Vista!
    It's a rough job, but someone's got to do it, right?

12. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    Sal, I bought the car in '86. Second owner. There was one rubber strap holding the aluminum wheel chock. Nothing else in the way of straps or holes where they might have been. The rubber strap cracked long ago and I put the pieces and the chock in my basement with the useless Dino jack. All my tools are modern and actually work. Dino tools are best saved for concours.
    John

13. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

oh my...what a great day that must have been.

are you sure you don't have any more pictures...you know...the good ones?

looked like fun.

pcb

14. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I'm sure the J. Corbani is aware of the reputation that UC Santa Barbara has for attracting the most beautiful women to attend their prestigious educational establishment. I was wondering if it was just the Dino that keeps him so young at heart!