Dino Saga 070729 _ Mountain Drive Again | FerrariChat

Dino Saga 070729 _ Mountain Drive Again

Discussion in 'Corbani's Corner' started by John Corbani, Jul 29, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    #1 John Corbani, Jul 29, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Dino Saga 070729 _ Mountain Drive Again

Got some egg on my face concerning last week’s Saga. Old age has a lot of disadvantages, one of which is that what was routine 50 years ago is now impossible, no matter how well remembered and cherished. I remember how I used to run Mountain Drive in my MG TDs when the road was dirt. And when my 1600 Alfa Spyder really liked the new paving. But I have never run the Dino eastward past Hot Springs Road. Hard to realize that that was a 21+ year gap. Last week I bailed out of a trial run and photo shoot because of fog and smoke. Knew that I couldn’t get any decent landscape shots so relied on Google’s satellite images to do a virtual tour. Relied on all the current maps for location of, and public access to Mountain Drive. All the way from Sheffield Reservoir to Park Lane. Should have run the run before writing the story.

Turns out that San Ysidro Ranch owns a big hunk of Mountain Drive and has closed it to public thoroughfare. From San Ysidro Lane to a stub off of Park Lane. You can go into the ranch from the West, just don’t plan on going through. But, like many other things in Santa Barbara, there is an upside. Go ahead and enter the ranch, then stop at the Stonehouse Restaurant for a fine meal or enjoy a nice cool drink downstairs in the famous Plow and Angel Bar. Ty Warner (of Beanie Baby fame and fortune) owns and has redone the entire resort and it is amazing to see. The ambiance that John and Jackie Kennedy enjoyed on their honeymoon is still there. The difference is that all the construction, furnishings and services are state of the art. Cowboy styling with Internet access and hot tubs that a John Wayne character would approve of. The suggestion that other places in Montecito or in the LA area were the site of the Kennedy’s honeymoon are all false. John, Jackie and many others who wanted simple, honest luxury knew where to go. Still do.

Took the Dino and did Mountain Drive yesterday. The smoke and fog were there in spades. August should bring in some offshore winds. We hope. In the meantime, the Dino runs fine and the road is great fun. Went into the Ranch and took a few shots. Restaurant is open for lunch and dinner. Plough and Angel opens at 5:00 PM. Valets like Ferraris and take good care of you and your machine. After a brief visit I dropped down San Ysidro Ln. to 192 and turned left. Went back up at Park Lane, followed Bella Vista all the way to Ladera Lane. Followed 192 down to Toro Canyon Rd and finally to Calle Real next to the 101 Freeway. Turned right and got on 101 at Padaro Ln. Not much fun driving back home in all the afternoon traffic.

Pictures were taken along Mountain Drive above Hot Springs Rd, at the San Ysidro Ranch and along Bella Vista. Beautiful day unless you are trying to compete with Google’s satellite shots. One of these days I’ll hit things just right. Sure do like the new Camera. Will keep working on the weather and hope the fire crews get a handle on the fire. Enjoy.

John
    Image Unavailable, Please Login