Dino Saga 070527 _ Tool or Art Object? | FerrariChat

Dino Saga 070527 _ Tool or Art Object?

Discussion in 'Corbani's Corner' started by John Corbani, May 27, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    #1 John Corbani, May 27, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Dino Saga 070527 _ Tool or Art Object?

Last week’s saga about the cracked wheel started a discussion. I enjoyed the interaction. Has been little since I started these Sagas two years ago. Interesting to see the different ways folks relate to their Dinos. Some see the Dino as an Art Object that is whole and complete in its form, function and era. Replication of original fit, finish and performance are fine but that is the limit. Any variation in the overall package reduces its value. A defacing if you will. Even a change of paint color or upholstery is a mark against the car. I can relate to that view as my wife is a personal property appraiser. She regularly reviews estates both before and after the passing of the owner. The variation in valuation by owner, heir and the real world is quite remarkable. The only thing that matters is what a buyer will pay. Respectful mods to a Dino have little or no effect per current auctions.

I am not a collector in the popular sense of the word. I collect by function for my own personal use. I don’t look at all objects as pieces of art. I bought Carsten’s drawings to look at and admire. That is art. I bought the Dino because it fit me perfectly as a tool that would satisfy my sporting instincts and my travel requirements. Basically, it was Just Right! I grew up fixing things and designing new things. First car was an English Ford sedan that I worked over then wrecked. Then an MG TD. I drove it and learned to really drive. 70 miles an hour and you were going fast. Everything was vibrating. I watched Ken Miles come up with his MG Flying Shingle and beat everything running in Southern California road races. Nothing wrong with improving the breed.

Got into aircraft, the military, another TD, an Alfa 1200 Spyder. The Alfa cured me of English cars forever. Jr. Engineer (electronics), marriage, 1600 Veloce Spyder and life was good. Started my own company and went to a Bertone bodied Alfa 1600 Gulia Sprint Specialle. Worked and reworked that for 19 years. Learned a lot. The Dino is the end of the line. 21 years now and still learning, still driving fast and enjoying every minute. My cars have always been about the driving experience. Any thing I can do to improve that experience is just fine. The exterior shape is the work of art and I keep that in good repair, I do not try to improve the styling but have no compunction about repairing, removing or replacing things that do not work to my current expectations.

That is why I remove and do not try to replace things like door lights, hood/trunk lights, air conditioning, extra oil filler/vent, original hoses, pistons, valves, guides, seals, gaskets, etc. And finally tires and wheels. No one has come up with anything better than 4 wheel independent suspension with double A arms, coil springs, large adjustable shocks and front/rear anti-roll bars. Dino has all these and it is a crime to let all that go to waste with 1960’s wheels and tires. Dino was designed before CAD systems and Finite Element Analysis. Ferrari respects the rule that you have to finish if you want to win. There is always a little extra strength to start with. When racing, you lighten until something breaks then go back one step. The Dino never got lightened. There is lots of reserve.

I have no qualms about seeing how good the Dino really is. And I have a blast doing it.

John
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

#2 dm_n_stuff, May 27, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    John.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

I've done quite a bit of stealth work on my car. But I do like it to look as Ferrari intended it when it left the factory.

that doesn't mean putting bad parts back on, or inferior repro stuff when there is better available.

Modern gear reduction starter, better exhaust, higher complression pistons and an alternator that makes more than 9 volts and 3 amps have all been fitted to my car.

I have, as I suspect you do, a box full of the original parts, should anyone ever think older is better.

Oh and interior and paint, gotta do what you like best. mine came out of the factory with white paint, blue interior and red carpets. I think it looks quite a bit better now.

But I 100% agree with you. They are meant to be driven, and enjoyed as more than art, but as perhaps moving sculpture. I wouldn't have it any other way.

DM
    Image Unavailable, Please Login