Dino Saga 070506 _ Things to reflect on | FerrariChat

Dino Saga 070506 _ Things to reflect on

Discussion in 'Corbani's Corner' started by John Corbani, May 6, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    #1 John Corbani, May 6, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Dino Saga 070506 _ Things to reflect on

Great day, lots of kids in the pool, car is nice and shiny and runs good. My car port is right past the picnic table at the top of the ninth hole. We have a 9 hole par 3 course so folks stop at the table to rest and settle their bets before walking back to their cars. Have to walk over and check out the Dino on the way. Amazing how many folks have never seen a Ferrari. And can’t read the name even though I broke the “Taboo”, desecrated Enzo’s reputation and put a Ferrari logo casting on the rear panel. There is a continuous outcry from some purists that “if they don’t know it’s a Ferrari, let them eat dirt.” Sorry, everyone who sees the car knows it is something very special. Since half of the cars sold in California are Japanese, the lack of a familiar name on a small car throws them. No one has ever seen a Ferrari, much less a Dino. They do know the Ferrari name and the reputation. Expensive, fast, Formula 1 and sports car champs on and off for 50 years. But they have never walked around one and realized how small they are and how stylish they are. And mine does not look like a Formula racer. And does not look big enough to have a 600 hp V12 somewhere inside. The only comparison for sports cars is Porsche, Nissan Z, Mustang, Corvette and Viper. The American cars are huge in comparison, European and Japanese cars have the manufacturers name all over them so my car must be a kit car built up on some small body. Likely on a VW chassis like all the other “little kit cars.”

Getting close and recognizing the Ferrari logo brings them back to reality and then they ask rational questions. Like “what year is it?” When I tell them 1972 they can’t believe it. 35 years old and still looks new. The paint job helps but the fact that Calloway put a Dino nose on the newest mod of the Corvette is in their minds. And the Chryslers from a few years ago look similar. And the few Jags around have reminded them that smooth and low have always been in style. Lots of the older guys reminisce about the Porsche, MG, Healey, Jag, Alfa, Triumph, Mini, etc. they used to own, before they grew up and had kids. I tell them it has 190,000 miles on it and is cheap and easy to maintain. They shake their heads. I tell them it still goes over 140 out in the desert and they shake their heads some more.

Funny thing is that only one golfer in 18 years has asked to sit in it. He had a big grin when I said sure. Bigger grin as he got out, even though getting out the first time is an adventure for most people. Requests to look in the engine compartment are more frequent. Hard to believe the engine is so small. And Wow, double overhead cams. And Wow, three two barrel Webers. A barrel for each cylinder! How do you keep it tuned? I tell them once a year I check and usually never change a thing. They shake their head and walk away.

Neat car. Wonderful to drive and wonderful to wonder about. And always the question “why haven’t any similar cars been built in the past 35 years?” Lotus is the only one who has come close but they always overreach. Cut too close when saving weight and the cars break. Cut too close again and the cars are uncomfortable. And again and no baggage space. Etc. But at least they tried. Will just have to settle with what I have. Oh well!

John.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login