Dino Saga 070325 _ Side markers | FerrariChat

Dino Saga 070325 _ Side markers

Discussion in 'Corbani's Corner' started by John Corbani, Mar 25, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    #1 John Corbani, Mar 25, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Dino Saga 070325 _ Side markers

The more I look at the side markers, the more I wish I had plugged the holes. Oh well, if someone wants to show the car when I am gone, they will have stock fenders. But then again, I might hang on forever and have to paint again in another ten years. Can always plug the holes then. And do the rear reflector holes at the same time. In the meantime I have 2 rear markers that could stand re-chroming and 2 front ones that have lived a full life and are due to retire. Got to do something one of these days.

I have been looking at lots of pictures and have read some threads but still have questions. Both front marker bodies are bellied in on top and bottom. I have seen pictures where top and bottom are straight like rear markers. The fender curves are different, front and rear. My front and rear markers are not interchangeable, cross corner, although generally similar. Know that I read somewhere that they could be interchanged but must have been from a different model or another year. My Dino is 04504 built in 1972. Of course, I am the second owner and don’t know what went before. Dealer said the car was raced in the Bay area and it had a 10” Momo steering wheel when I bought it. Markers may have been changed along the way. Bound to have been some track, etc. rash in the first 14 years of it’s life. Then again I don’t know if either front or rear are original. Only left front fender has been bent badly on my watch so believe current markers are stock.

Have not seriously looked for replacements for front markers. Soon. I have been studying the shape of my current front chromed housings. The belly in the upper and lower surfaces look like they would have made molding impossible. De-molding at any rate. Can’t help but wonder if the mis-match between the curve of the fender and the curve of the housing put lots of pressure on the plastic housing. 35 years of sun may have caused the plastic to cold flow (or hot flow) to the current shape. Flange can’t bulge out to accommodate sharper curve of fender so upper and lower walls bend in until the steel of the fender pops over the edge of the flange and pressure is released. The cutout in the fender has straight top and bottom edges. Plausable?

Just for fun I made up a flange out of brass sheet and matched the curve of the car. A straight line works fine all the way around. After looking forever and paying $250 for a front turn signal I know that the side lights will be Godawful. Might make sense to build my own housings and get them chrome plated. Then I think of the nightmare I had getting my bumpers re-chromed. Plating used to be such a simple thing. Still have the problem of the faded lenses. Dye might be an option?

Would appreciate any comments and suggestions. I’m sure that I’m not the first to have this problem. No panic though. Paint job looks so nice that I am the only one who notices the markers. And I am too busy enjoying the ride to spend much time worrying.

John
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. racerboy9

racerboy9 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    I believe these are a Fiat X1/9 item or maybe a Fiat 124. I think I have a new one in the bag. I will try and get you a part number. Not too hard to find on the Fiat sites.

3. mikeyr

mikeyr Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike Rambour
    I agree, they do look like a 124 Spider side marker, I will take a peek at my 124 and see if I can find any identifying numbers that might help.

4. racerboy9

racerboy9 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    OK, Fiat numbers are 1905981 & 1905982 left and right side. Keep an eye on Ebay as they come up from time to time and check the Fiat websites.

5. racerboy9

racerboy9 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    International Auto Parts shows them at $33.50 each.

6. Argento839

Argento839 F1 Veteran

Oct 21, 2005
    These parts are easy to find. You can probably find the chrome bezels from GT Car Parts here in Phoenix. I was just there 3 days ago and there was one sitting on Bill's desk. They have so many parts I am sure they have four of them. As far as the orange and red reflectors, these are the same reflectors that are on 308 GTB/S only utilizing a different bezel. These can be bought brand new from T. Rutlands. Rutlands might even have the chrome bezels too.